Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Liver transplant
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:45 pm
Hello ladies! I hope you all had a meaningful and cleansing Yom Kippur!

We got news right before Yom Kippur that after extensive evaluations it looks like I am going to be a match to donate my liver to my sister's husband. It's a big step, and I'm both relieved and grateful and very scared. The surgery sound painful and the recovery extensive.

I'd love to connect with other liver donors. The transplant team has a mentorship program where they connect people who have donated to people facing donation, but I think I'll benefit from talking with people from our community who have done this.

You can post here or please PM me if you have experience with live liver donation and feel able to talk to another donor. I have a lot of questions and I think I'm going to need a lot of support.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:52 pm
you are amazing. tivku l'mitzvos. I hope it goes smoothly and you have an easy recovery.

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:54 pm
What a huge zchus! I don't have practical experience, but just wanted to say that it is an unbelievable chesed you are doing for the family. Wishing everyone a successful surgery and speedy and complete refuah!

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:17 pm
Wow so so beautiful! I always dream of being a kidney donor but I'm way too scared. I greatly admire those ppl who have the courage to donate. May it be a tremendous zchus for you and hashem should help both of your surgeries should go smoothly and a quick and easy recovery.

chasdie Hashem

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:30 pm
Dvom-wow!so inspired!

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:33 pm
You probably don't mean liver. Liver everyone's only got one of you.
While you are alive you can't donate a liver

ROFL

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:35 pm
Livers actually regenerate They can take a part of a liver and it grows back.

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:35 pm
dankbar wrote:

I do in fact mean liver. They will be taking approximately 65% of mine and it will regrow in me and in my brother in law over the course of about a year. Pretty cool, no?

ROFL

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:36 pm
https://www.upmc.com/services/.....w_wcB

eileengray

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:38 pm
dankbar wrote:

Banging head

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:48 pm
eileengray wrote:
Banging head

Your post can be very hurtful.
Dankbar didn't know that there is such a thing as a live liver transplant.
It's ok. We don't all know everything. As we grow older we aquire new knowledge. If it wasn't ever relevant to dankbar, there is no way if her knowing....
Now she knows.
And now you know that posting such a response is hurtful. Please be more careful going forward.

Op, DVOM. I'm in awe of your chesed.
You do realize what a huge thing you are going, right?
May it go smoothly for both of you and a full and easy and speedy recovery for both of you. Till 120!!!!!

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:55 pm
Thank you tzutzie!

Our family did benefit from bone marrow transplant.
Also a family member did benefit couple of years ago from liver transplant from a fresh Non Jewish car accident. ( not live). Patient came from Israel & was admitted to hospital to be priority on waiting list.
Bh I am happy to hear about advances in this area, so more people can get helped, as it wasn't available couple of years back & was very hard to come by a liver.

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:56 pm
Way to go! You’re awesome!

Hashem is pretty awesome too, for creating an organ we can share Smile

dankbar

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 10:57 pm
Dvom I am totally amazed by you! It is a huge zchus & chesed to save someone else's life, here it is especially warming for you as you know the recepient & it's your own family. May Hashem help it should go well & easily for both of you!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:29 pm
Wow, that's an absolutely amazing and inspiring chesed. I wish both you and your BIL a complete refuah and a wonderful year!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:31 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Wow so so beautiful! I always dream of being a kidney donor but I'm way too scared. I greatly admire those ppl who have the courage to donate. May it be a tremendous zchus for you and hashem should help both of your surgeries should go smoothly and a quick and easy recovery.

I believe live liver donation is an even more difficult recovery than kidney donation.
Hats off to you, DVOM. I'm so inspired. What a mitzvah to start off the new year. May both of you have a refuah sheleima.

whewpy

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:33 pm
Last winter we met a young Jewish man who donated a liver at Columbia Presbyterian. I can't recall his name. You should try calling renewal to see if they can connect u. I know this man said he wants to donate a kidney too. So, possible they would know of him or other liver donors

whewpy

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:34 pm
Btw he was doing amazingly well bh

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:20 am
Rabbi Simon, Chabbad of Teaneck, has donated both a kidney and a piece of his liver.
See the attached article https://www.jewishlinknj.com/c.....t=amp

turca

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:32 am
The blogger fashion isha ( or something like that ?) donated a kidney.
Isn’t she around imamother?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics