Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Two batches, taking challah?

Gsanmb

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:52 pm
So I think, due to my present challah disaster, I'm going to stick with my Kitchen Aid. It's a 6 quart one. I can't make enough in the bowl to take challah, it takes maximum about 7 cups without overflow.

But if I do two batches one right after the other, and then let them rise at the same time, can I take challah with a bracha? How do I do that? One will have been rising a few minutes longer than the other.

MahPitom

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:53 pm
I don’t know what is the right thing, I just do it twice.

It’s possible that the second time you don’t make the bracha. I have no clue.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:07 pm
yes, you can--but if you can make only 7 cups at a time you'll have to make 2-1/2 batches b/c you need 17 cups of flour (5 lbs.) for a bracha. you can make them separately, then put them together in a single pan or basket or whatever and then take challah from the whole joint batch. It doesn't matter that one has been rising longer than the other.

from a practical point of view, if you wanted to physically put the 2-3 batches together and let them all rise together in one giant lump, it would be perfectly fine. rising times are approximate, not exact to the minute. a little longer, a little less, makes no diff.

bashinda

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:21 pm
If it's the same recipe, AFAIK (check your Rabbi) if you put the two batches together and it's enough to take challah than you can take challah.

bashinda

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:24 pm
louche wrote:
yes, you can--but if you can make only 7 cups at a time you'll have to make 2-1/2 batches b/c you need 17 cups of flour (5 lbs.) for a bracha. you can make them separately, then put them together in a single pan or basket or whatever and then take challah from the whole joint batch. It doesn't matter that one has been rising longer than the other.

from a practical point of view, if you wanted to physically put the 2-3 batches together and let them all rise together in one giant lump, it would be perfectly fine. rising times are approximate, not exact to the minute. a little longer, a little less, makes no diff.

There are varying opinions. I go by needing minumum 12 cups unsifted flour or 13 cups sifted flour. So if you go by that opinion two batches is enough. (I'm getting this from the Lubavitch cookbook, btw)

mumoo

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:40 pm
louche wrote:
you need 17 cups of flour (5 lbs.) for a bracha.

different practices here, ask a rov
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads