Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
A very merry x-mas contest?
1  2  Next

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 7:28 pm
is anyone interested in entering? I just got this ad twice...

who wants to meet at the mall with our kids and take pics with santa? maybe we'll win something cool! Twisted Evil

Yudit

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 7:54 pm
I dont know what chinuch that is for your kids.I wouldnt and why do kids need to know about santa you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such things

Maya

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 7:59 pm
As a girl, I didn't take pics with Santa, but my mother took us to check out Macy's puppet show every year.

But I'm not taking pics of Santa with my little baby son.

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:00 pm
me me me ... so what do we dress as ?! a giant dreidel ... me me me

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:07 pm
Quote:
I dont know what chinuch that is for your kids.I wouldnt and why do kids need to know about santa you should be ashamed of yourself for posting such things

to clarify, it was a joke. verbal irony, ok?

for your info, santa as we know him is a fabrication of the coca-cola company for marketing purposes. my kids will hear this from me, along with the fact that halloween was a pagan holiday adopted by christians for marketing purposes. these are laughable aspects of holidays we don't celebrate. why not tell them?

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:13 pm
when my son was about 5 he refused to drink the cola cause santa was on the bottle ... he said it was treif...

Yudit

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:19 pm
oh well im glad to hear it was a joke

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:25 pm
Oh, Tis the Season...
DH and I try desperately to shield our kinderlach from the seasonal commercial/Xtian holiday trappings by trying to keep them from going anywhere but school, shul, and our fenced in backyard. Even the grocery store is a little too red and green for our liking!
The JCC where we live has a 40% non jews membership rate...the non jews's $$ is what helps keep the JCC open. Even there we run into Xtian issues.
(BTW, if you sent a link for us to view the contest you wrote of, it did not go through.)
Do you live in a heavily-populated Jewish area, or are you in a part of the country where non jewish children think that we have horns under our caps like the reindeer?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:32 pm
I confess, I clicked on that ad and was cracking up looking at the photos of little kids crying on Santa's lap. Sorry, but they're funny.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:42 pm
Yael told me that we could block these kinds of ads, by sending her the url, which we could get by rightclicking on the ads, but I get an adobe flash player menul instead...l I have the topic of this thread showing up on this page as a google ad, in full red and green color ..... Now what came first the chicken or the egg? Twisted Evil

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:44 pm
OH, do I feel silly! Original Poster: I thought you were sharing with us about a spam e-mail you received telling of a contest...I just now saw it on our very own website here!
What's up with that? Don't the corporate sponsors of this site realize who they're advertising to? Don't you think they'd consider their advertising dollars better spent elsewhere?

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 8:58 pm
HSTM--

I live in Brooklyn, NY, heavily populated by Jews of all sorts. The "horn issue" in question will only be believed by children if their parents teach it to them. It has nothing to do with reindeer and everything to do with Michaelangelo. His sculpture of Moses has horns.

the ads are done by google, I doubt the company has any say in the matter. google gets paid for their advertising by the click, so it shouldn't make a difference unless we are very curious and click on the ad.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:03 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

Do you live in a heavily-populated Jewish area, or are you in a part of the country where non jewish children think that we have horns under our caps like the reindeer?

There is no such area. I've been to parts of the country where they never see or meet Jews (or at least it's very rare and they've told me so) and they were pretty happy to meet and know a Jew from New York.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:19 pm
No history lesson needed, but thank you! I was TOTALLY being tongue-in-cheek there with the horns comments, Ladies!

I grew up in an agricultural area where there were 50 of we Jews at the very most spread across our entire county. Yes, there ARE places where there are those who've never met anyone Jewish, or where they put you on a pedestal as you are their first one.
I also had to regularly deal with the Xtian "salvation message" and with stereotypes (like the horns things I mentioned)and once even the blood libel issue surfaced it's ugly head.
Jews like myself consider places like NYC Crown Heights and Flatbush "heavily-populated" jewish areas. Although no longer in the same area of the country I grew up in, I am in a suburban area where a small Jewish population has existed since the early 1800's.

bashinda

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:28 pm
There definitely are people who think Jews have horns as I've met way too many people who've been asked where their horns are.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:33 pm
bashinda wrote:
There definitely are people who think Jews have horns as I've met way too many people who've been asked where their horns are.

Where?

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:35 pm
bashinda wrote:

Thank You, Bashinda. Those of us who have had to live with such things know only too well what we're speaking of. I'm glad for their sakes that those who believe "there are no such areas" have never had to deal with such things.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:36 pm
bashinda wrote:

I'd love to know where this happened.

I guess misconceptions and prejudices can go both ways:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

bashinda

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:43 pm
I don't remember where people necessarily were but I've met or read about more than a few people who've been asked this. It obviously comes out of ignorance. It's from a posek about Moshe and they translated keren literally as horns instead of something more like glory.

And for some reason this just won't fully die. Most people don't think Jews have horns but there are places where people are extremely ignorant, probably never seen a Jew and are surprised because they can't find the horns when they meet a Jew.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:45 pm
Where? Anywhere where ignorance and intolerance thrives. I grew up going to public school with those who were taught in their Xtian Sunday school classes that Jews killed Yeshke; that the since Yeshke died on an X for their sins that there was no longer a need for any Jew to exist as the purpose for the Jew to exist had expired; that we are the spawn of Satan (another reason for being asked if we had horns); and is it true we drink blood from a chalis on Friday with our bread. Shall I go on?

Yes, such places DO exist...and people still dress in white sheets and burn crosses in those places, as well.

Last edited by He*Sings*To*Me on Sat, Nov 17 2007, 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics