Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Expecting second child...prevent allergies this time?

Boysclub

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 4:09 pm
I am currently expecting my second child...B"H, bli ayin hara. My first son is allergic to dairy, nuts, and eggs. I heard that at some point in your pregnancy, refraining from eating certain foods can decrease the liklehood that your child with have allergies. I think its either the first or last trimester. Does anyone have any info about this?

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:16 pm
My first child is ana to dairy and during his brothers pregnancy I did eat dairy not massive amount but I did eat it. My second child is not allergic to anything. For a friend that did have allergic children she was told to avoid certain food during her last trimester.

anon

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 6:22 pm
I also heard to refrain during the third trimester, as well as while you're nursing.

It is recommended to avoid peanuts during this time.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:44 pm
THere is no exact research on this but it is said the less they are exposed to an allergic food the less likely they will be allergic to it. So I try to stay away from peanuts and nuts now while I'm nursing. If my husband were allergic to something I would probably stay away from whatever that would be. I don't know if its better to avoid during one trimester than the other - but there is only so much you can do. I don't know if you can avoid dairy the whole time, but maybe nuts.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 9:55 pm
My dh growing up was allergic to everything - eggs, wheat, dairy, nuts, seeds, etc. ,etc., etc.

Now, he's just allergic to nuts (all types, incl. coconut), sesame, and some other random things, like eggplant when it hasn't been cooked enough - I don't know why....

He also has a lot of allergies in his family.

So, during my preg. I didn't eat any nuts except one almond binge on tu b'shevat.

There is opposing data on introducing kids to allergenic foods. In the US we generally say to stay away from allergenic foods esp. if there are allergies in the fam. However, Israel which has one of the lowest nut allergy rates in the world raises all of their children on bamba. Go figure.

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 10:47 pm
If you eat dairy duringpregnancy there is no proven evidence that shows it will affect whether you kid is allergic when they are born. Besides what a lot of people think is an allergy is not a known allergy. A lot of times a kid will be cranky after a lot of dairy and a parent associates it with an allergy. My dh had anaphalactic shock and that was due to a real allergy. He went to an allergist and got his blood drawn and rast testing to tell what he is allergic too. He avoids those things that have a lot of preservatives or MSG and is careful not to do things like eat Chinese.

Marion

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 3:04 am
Genetics has some say in the matter as well. I'm allergic to peanuts, so I definitely didn't eat them...and DS is allergic as well. DH was celiac as a child (and still has to watch his gluten intake a bit), but I certainly ate as normal and DS is fine with gluten products (wheat, oats, barley, rye, and spelt).

qeenB

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 10:54 pm
I was told by my lactation consultant that the baby gets its immunity from the mother during the last trimester and first 4-6 months when you nurse. she told me for my future pregnancy if I avoid all the foods I am allergic to at those times I stand a much better chance of my kids not getting those allergies. all of my kids have allergies of some sort to all the basic foods. wheat soy corn dairy etc. my youngest has it the worst. my allergies also got worse with each of my kids.

Marion

Post Wed, Oct 10 2007, 11:03 pm
qeenB wrote:
she told me for my future pregnancy if I avoid all the foods I am allergic to at those times I stand a much better chance of my kids not getting those allergies.

Dumb question: Don't you avoid your allergens anyway?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:49 am
lubcoralsprings wrote:
If you eat dairy duringpregnancy there is no proven evidence that shows it will affect whether you kid is allergic when they are born. Besides what a lot of people think is an allergy is not a known allergy. A lot of times a kid will be cranky after a lot of dairy and a parent associates it with an allergy. My dh had anaphalactic shock and that was due to a real allergy. He went to an allergist and got his blood drawn and rast testing to tell what he is allergic too. He avoids those things that have a lot of preservatives or MSG and is careful not to do things like eat Chinese.

It usually is an allergy, it's an intolerance to the food, just because there is no anaphylactic shock does not mean it is not an allergy.

qeenB

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 4:27 pm
Quote:
Dumb question: Don't you avoid your allergens anyway?

the foods that bother me are wheat dairy soy corn eggs sugar and other grains with the exceptions of oats. so it leaves me to eat basically rice, potatoes and proteins. I am also sensitive to alot of different fruits. so I end up eating allot of the same foods over and over. at times I think I will just go crazy. I found while I was nursing it directly affected my baby. now that I finally weaned him I do cheat more often even though certain foods really don't agree with me. B"H I dont get any major dangerous reactions.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 4:44 pm
only1 wrote:
lubcoralsprings wrote:

It usually is an allergy, it's an intolerance to the food, just because there is no anaphylactic shock does not mean it is not an allergy.

Some of each - just because it's not anaphylactic does not mean it's not a real allergy - but a lot of people incorrectly refer to lactose intolerance and milk sensitivities as allergies.

Avoiding suspected allergens in the third trimester and while nursing MAY help. Of course, you could avoid it as much as you want and a kid could still be allergic or you could eat as much as you want and have a kid who is not allergic. Or other combinations. Which makes the whole thing a little frustrating. (Speaking from experience - not trying to make you crazy!)

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 10:36 pm
it was suggested by R' Gruber (nutri supreme vitamins) that I take Omega-3 fish oil capsules while pregnant (good for the baby's brain in any event) and probiotics during the last 6 weeks of pregnancy (he suggested the maxi-health)
and suggested by the head pediatrician of the hospital to avoid fish, nuts, dairy and whole eggs while nursing.
so far so good b"h

MahPitom

Post Mon, Oct 29 2007, 7:01 pm
Amother’s suggestions are excellent. Work your way to a better immune system by adding a product called nutriferon. Together with omega and probiotics, your system will be defensive enough to handle anything, and also help build up the babies’ immune system.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics