Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Candlelight in the sukkah

amother

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:16 pm
If I use candles to light my sukkah during Yom Tov can I blow them out or carry them inside when we are done eating?

technic

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 3:26 am
blow them out? NO

carry them in? yes (as long as its not shabbat)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 9:48 am
This sounds like a big fire hazard to me. Candle with wood, cloth, and wind around!

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:13 am
Use neronim in those glasses, no hazard of cloth or wood, and protected from the wind

Tovah

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:27 am
you will need to put a siddur or challah on your tray if u want to move on yom tov, not shabbos.
just a sudgestion use tea lights instead of candles they burn out faster for shabbos

amother

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 10:31 am
Thanks for the help on handling the candles. Candles are my only option as we have no electricity in our sukkah. I have these big hurricane lamps, not just candlesticks, and don't plan on leaving them unattended.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 27 2007, 1:58 pm
My solution was to put a bunch of tealights into a large glass salad bowl with water in the bottom. They went out on their own, and I figured this way if something DID tip over, the water would put them out safely.

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 4:39 pm
You put the siddur or food item on the tray only for shabbos, so you can move the candle tray after the candles have gone out.

you don't need to put anything on y't, you can move them when alight or not.

loveit

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 7:07 pm
Our friends used their BBQ to light tea lights YT and Shabbos. It was lined in foil and the lid was pushed back to protect the candles from the wind, it seems to be the safest way to do it IMO.

Starhavah

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 2:15 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Use neronim in those glasses, no hazard of cloth or wood, and protected from the wind

Don't count on it. There was a father here who was sleeping in the sukkah. The wind knocked over the table the neronim were on and the sukkah caught fire. He was burned quite severely over a significant part of his body. His daughter was my student. Never leave candles in the sukkah unattended. I would buy few outdoor flashlights and a lot of batteries. You can change the batteries everyday (except Shabbat and Yom Tov so I guess it only works on chol haMoed. Ok, some come up with a better idea. Mine's a flop.

Star havah

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 11:52 pm
Here in Israel we have these glass cases so we can light our Menorahs outdoors. Use that as an added precaution if you have it.

Zus

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 3:59 am
is there a way to get electricity in your sukka?

grin

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 4:08 am
Tovah wrote:
you will need to put a siddur or challah on your tray if u want to move on yom tov, not shabbos.

according to some poskim (I know of chabad), it must be challah.
Marion wrote:
My solution was to put a bunch of tealights into a large glass salad bowl with water in the bottom. They went out on their own, and I figured this way if something DID tip over, the water would put them out safely.
this sounds like a great idea.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 5:01 am
about outting something onto the tray so that you can move it, I was actually taught that it had to be something that could be used on shabbat so that it was as if you were moving that object, so my mother always kept a spoon on her candle tray (and now I do the same:>)

those glass holders for candles are not so safe either. my dinning room table is very close to my front door of our apartment and when it is VERY windy, they have blown out and one glass holder (thank G-d it was after the candle finished burning) fell over and broke, so jsut be careful. I think that marion's suggestion sounds the safest so far.

hila

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 5:07 am
Our glass menorah case hangs on the wall outside our house the whole year, and we use it for sukkot too as that is the wall of the sukka.

(now if someone had actually taken the chanukia out of the box since chanuka it would be nice)

Safe and we have candles in the sukka.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 6:40 am
Tea lights are really a great option.
I light my candelabra then bring it in. I can't risk leaving it outside. I don't think insurance would cover me in the event it was stolen. Though, who would steal a candelabra?...

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Oct 03 2008, 7:35 am
please don't put any kind of candles lit in thesukka it's too dangerous. we had a fire 4 years ago just because of a tea light candle was knocked over by my neighbour her sukka went and ours nearly went too.

I light only inside thehouse, I don't even allow smoking cigarretes in the sukka
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics