Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Eating out of the succa
1  2  Next

Does your husband eat out of the succa?
Sure, as long as it's not a seuda  
 11%  [ 6 ]
Only fruit or shehakol  
 24%  [ 13 ]
Only a drink  
 16%  [ 9 ]
Only when on a trip  
 3%  [ 2 ]
No, nothing, never  
 43%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 53

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:41 pm
The halacha is that you if you are kove'a a seuda, you must eat it in the succa. If it's not a seuda, things like drinks, shehakol items, it can be eaten out of a succa, and when traveling, when can eat out of the succa.

The S.Aruch says though, that if you are machmir that you don't even drink water out of the succa, this is praiseworthy.

I grew up with my father eating out of the succa if the weather wasn't good. Otherwise, I think he mostly ate and drank in the succa.

My husband won't have anything out of the succa.

This thread need not be "my husband is more machmir than yours." You can vote and post anonymously. I just thought it would be interesting to see what people do.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:52 pm
My husband will eat shehakol and (I think) fruit outside the sukkah if there isn't one nearby.
He'll also eat inside if the weather's nasty.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:53 pm
No, nothing, and sometimes I think he goes without food or water for too long of a stretch of time....

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:54 pm
Smile

whew

I was wondering WHO is on your ignore list Wink You seemed so happy about the new feature. Had me worried there ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 4:59 pm
Motek, you talking to me?

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:01 pm
No, never.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:02 pm
Nothing.
Unless it rains non-stop for 3 days Confused
I'm wondering, is it better to eat in the sukka while its raining or eat in the house? Is there a difference the first day and rest of the days?

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:05 pm
DISCLAIMER: These are just the halachos and not what my husband or I do or don't do.

I know woman aren't obligated to eat in the succah however, I always do. If it is pouring rain outside then there is no mitzvah to eat in the succah. Also while some are machmer, you don't have to eat in the succah if you are having shehkol.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:08 pm
I had a friend in seminary who took upon herself to only eat in the sukkah. What a shock when she saw the crowds that came to C.H. for yomtov; we rarely got near a sukkah in those years - just to hear Kiddush!

I remember her sitting in var. dining rooms, starving!!!!!!

Yakira

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:08 pm
He'll eat shehakol out of sukkah, and anything else if it's raining. That's the halacha that my father and brothers also held by, as do most people I know.

Of course the first night is a different situaiton...

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 5:17 pm
My dh used to have to do hospital duty on chol ha moed and the rav allowed him to eat food which was not hamotzei or mezonos. Now he is off on chol ha moed and will only drink the water for his pills if he is far from the succah outside of the succah.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:11 pm
yes as long as it's not a seuda. When the weather is bad he just does kiddush and motsi in the sukka.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 23 2007, 6:12 pm
I was responding to defy. Your post slipped in ahead of mine.

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:17 am
if we're on a trip and there is no succa like last year when we went to the yam hamelach he ate but without hamotzi. we plan on going again to the yam hamelach and dh sugested buying a portanble put up succa.

Abigail

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:26 am
my dh says if it rains - (like it always does in england!) then he eats in the house otherwise in the succah, but chol hamoed he is in uni and there is no succah there so he just doesnt take bread with!

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 8:14 am
My husband has eaten in the rain. I think that is extreme but he loves it. Its too hard for me to be strict on it because I live in apt and I would have to shlep the kdis by myself down a few flights of stairs with food and that is just not happening.

What about work? My husband brings a sukkah to work and erects it everyday and takes it down at night. He has been doing it for a few years now on the sidwalk of a manhattan street.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 8:17 am
I voted in regard to my sonny boy - even as a boy of 4 he panicked not to eat in the succah ... so ... What

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 9:37 am
I forgot one other thing. as a girl in london when we had a built in succa we had a roof that opened and closed over the sechach so when it rained after kiddush we closed teh roof and still "ate in teh succah" duunno how kosher that was.

btw my inlaws don't have where to build a succa so tey go away to the children and to us. teh saying goes in the family, succos you go away pesach we all come to you!! but if my fil wasn't feeling so well or couldn't travel he would sleep at home and eat in a shul succah.

my father has the minhag not to sleep in the succah.

and yes 3 years ago it poured and poured with rain in e.y that for 3 days we couldn't eat in the succah so we ate indoors even bread and seudas.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 12:42 pm
After so many years, DH is used to eating in the rain. I'm always surprised how he eats as slowly as when it's dry. If it were me, I'd eat one plate of food & run inside!

Motek

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:35 am
reviving Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics