Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Sleep and my 3 yr. old
1  2  Next

proudmom

Post Wed, Oct 13 2004, 9:27 pm
Every night before my 3 year old daughter has to go to sleep she always complains that she is hungry, thirsty, she has a boo boo. is this normal

Yael

Post Thu, Oct 14 2004, 11:23 am
yes she is just trying to push off going to sleep. be firm with her, you can have one drink, and one cracker, (or whatever) and thats it. its time to go to sleep. eventually she'll realize that you are serious and will stop pushing for more.

miriam

Post Thu, Oct 14 2004, 11:30 am
My 2 year old used to pull that all the time. I could never tell if she was really hungry or just procrastinating going to sleep. Now she knows that she has to finish all her supper because she is not going to get much else before going to bed. I try to eat dinner closer to her bedtime (within 2 hours). I give her a drink, seltzer, water , milk, whatever she chooses right before we get into bed. I tell her to finish the drink because I am not bringing any drinks into her room. Sometimes it happens that she is still thirsty so I bring something in to her. But it doesn't happen too much. Another reason I stopped bringing in drinks was no matter what the situation, she would always spill. I brought her a sippy cup and left the room for a sec. She took the cover off and then she spilled, by accident, (always). I couldn't believe that she managed to spill. Anyway, good luck with her and be consistent

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 14 2004, 1:51 pm
Yes it is called Delay Tactics so I tell my kids if they are hungry they can have plain bread and drink water. This tells me if they are Truly hungry and thirsty. Oh arn't I mean! but the nice thing I do every now and then I send something special eigther in their backpack or under their pillow and since I don't tell them it's a wonderful suprise. Idea p.s. I am going to do same with husband why not!?

Last edited by Tefila on Tue, Dec 21 2004, 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Oct 14 2004, 2:02 pm
freilich wrote:
Idea p.s. I am going to do same with hubbie why not!?

good idea--- my kallah teacher told me whenever you go shopping put something in the cart that you know your hubby likes- Not a regular thing something that shows youre thinking of him. - a story I read abt a couple who the wife had to go away, but she left little love notes hidden around the house for her hubby to find while she was away. She put them in places where she knew he would go to do something.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 10:30 am
it might stick for a while, just don't give in!!!

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Sun, Mar 20 2005, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudmom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2004, 10:45 am
BH she is getting much better now. She goes to sleep now much better.

proudmom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 8:59 pm
Now it is worse the situation. my kids (3 1/2 and 2 year old)refuse to go to sleep. last night I was playing ping pong with them till 1130. I put them in bed they go out I put them back in bed and then they came out till 1130.

zuncompany

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 9:03 pm
they don't want to miss the fun by going to bed. You are making it to fun after their bed time. My parents when we would get up would do boring things like pay bills or read. Got us back to bed quickly. Ping Pong would have stayed up for too!

sara

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Dec 21 2004, 7:49 am
Proudmom, turn down the lights, the ringer on the phone, make a night in your house. Do not play with them, do not allow them to play with each other.
and, as Zun said, be very boring.

Yael

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 3:12 pm
now you know why I keep my kids in cribs.

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 3:20 pm
my kids climb out of it. so it wont work

Yael

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 6:37 pm
I know someone who locks the door to the kids room so they cant get out.

and its true about be as boring as you can. of course if you play with them why should they go to sleep. you are sending them mixed messages. "mommy says she wants us to go to sleep but really she wants us to stay up so she can play with us."

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 6:42 pm
Before they go to sleep it is really relaxed atmosphere. They just dont like going to sleep.

imanut

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 7:37 pm
I also know someone who locks her kids' doors at night. I think it is dangerous-a fire hazard.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 8:44 pm
there are also cages-a tent top to the crib with a zipper opening that can only be unzippered from the outside.
I dont like these things- I would rather figure out the trick to making my child listen. I know, its not easy...

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 9:02 pm
yael
Quote:
I know someone who locks the door to the kids room so they cant get out.

Hm not sure how good idea that is! what about a gate, or telling child you will lie down with them if they close eyes and go to sleep, or tell them if they get out then you will close door but not to lock it!!!
And I have these knobs put on my round handles of doors such as our front doors, bathroom etc so when toddler turns it the doors won't open 'toys r us' sells them, but for an adult or older child it's easy to open!!!
and
RG
Quote:
there are also cages-a tent top to the crib with a zipper opening that can only be unzippered from the outside.

I have seen them and they are HORRIBLE things would never use them what they come up with, who knows maybe harnesses for crib next Rolling Eyes

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 9:31 pm
imanut wrote:
I also know someone who locks her kids' doors at night. I think it is dangerous-a fire hazard.

Oh definitely not a good idea. There was a story of children who died in a house fire b/c their bedroom door was locked. They were trapped.

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2005, 10:25 am
Lock doors?! that's terrible!
my girls are also great in finding excuses not to go to bed, but I am ahead of them, as I have used all those excuses my self as a kid!
at 7.30 pm they have to go to bed, but they can read there, tell eachoter stories, whatever, as long as they don't leave their beds. if they are hungry/thirsty, they can drink water......
I agree that the house should be as boring as possible, otherwise it wouldn't be fair, it would be like having a party and not inviting them... Crying
I do explain to them that I also need some time alone, although the baby doesn't get that yet..., and they seem to respect that.
rewards can be: riding their bycicle (they are not allowed alone on the street), feeding the ducks, going with me/hubby to the supermarket, and choose one treat, etc

proudmom

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 8:56 pm
Recently I notice that my daughter everytime before going to sleep she cries out of pain in her stomach, she doesnt complain prior to that. can it be a health problem? she doesnt notice it until she goes to sleep because she is so busy. or is this a delay tactic?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers