Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Harry Potter & Torah???

luckyme

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 2:06 pm
"DO YOU KNOW that there are Jewish perspectives on mudbloods, owl post, ghosts, magic wands, the rights of magical creatures, and avada kedavra?
HARRY POTTER AND TORAH combs Jewish literature for explanations of these and other themes from the Harry Potter series.

Based on traditional Jewish teachings, from Talmud and Midrash to Jewish Law and Kabbalah and the Chassidic masters, Harry Potter and Torah will touch the souls of Harry Potter fans, fans of magic and fantasy, and anyone curious what Judaism says about esoteric themes. "

from http://www.harrypottertorah.com/

Interesting? Some sources are posted. I haven't read it, but am considering it. Has anyone heard of this? Anyone read it?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 5:05 pm
Everyone wants a piece of the empire...

And yeah, of course there is a Jewish perspective on mudbloods. We just call them BTs. Twisted Evil

tweety99

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 6:02 pm
sounds crazy to me! Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:

And yeah, of course there is a Jewish perspective on mudbloods. We just call them BTs. Twisted Evil

OUCH!!! Why don't you come out from behind amother and say what you really mean?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 6:12 am
Quote:
amother wrote:

And yeah, of course there is a Jewish perspective on mudbloods. We just call them BTs.

OUCH!!! Why don't you come out from behind amother and say what you really mean?

As a long time BT who sat in sem and learned for several years whose DH learns in kollel and lives and looks like every other normal person in my comunity I can definitely say that I think the other amother is right. A lot of people don't look at me differently, but a lot of people would. It also makes a difference in the schools that will accept your children, the people who are willing to make shidduchim with you, etc. Probably like in the magical world some don't care but some do and can make a difference in your life if they are in a position of power. For those of you who read HP, imagine how different Hoqworts would be if Salazar Slythrin got his way and muggle borns were not accepted.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 8:50 am
Then I would say gerim, not bts...

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 5:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:

maybe in your mind, and hopefully in your community but not with everyone or everywhere. It does not make me feel better that gerim are considered on an even lower level than me the lowly BT.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

maybe in your mind, and hopefully in your community but not with everyone or everywhere. It does not make me feel better that gerim are considered on an even lower level than me the lowly BT.

Keep your attacks to yourself. In my community actually I am the girl who will talk and sit with the gerim, because few others will. I also help a few girls with their conversions.

I just pointed out that mudbloods come from non sorcerer families but become one, like gerim from non Jewish families but become Jews.
Let's stop the paranoia, k?

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jul 26 2007, 12:05 am
in a word, OY.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room