Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingslover

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 8:59 pm
Wow!
This is the most incredible book I've read in a loooong time. The author is incredible - she has 5 different narrators in the book and gives them such distinctive voices. I couldn't put it down.

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 9:03 pm
OOOOh......love it, love it, love it!!!

All her books are amazing but that one tops them all. Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jun 24 2007, 9:10 pm
I sat next to someone on a plane years ago that was reading this book. I asked her how it was (b/c she was halfway through), and she said it wasn't so good! Ever since then, I had no interest in the book.

On one hand, I'm annoyed that I missed out on this author for so many years, but on the other hand - it's so great to have so many new books to read!

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 2:01 pm
She has some great books. I read them a while ago so I don't remember the details but I definately enjoyed them.

mumsy23

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 2:50 pm
Thats so interesting because I read it and really didn't like it. I was also in high school so maybe I was too immature for it?

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 4:53 pm
Quote:
Thats so interesting because I read it and really didn't like it. I was also in high school so maybe I was too immature for it?

Not everyone likes the same books. Libraries and bookshops are full of books that I think are total rubbish, yet sell in their millions.

(I am constantly disappointed with books that appear on the bestseller lists for example)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 5:00 pm
raisin me too. I am disappointed with many if not most "new" books. My favs are definitely classics. I like style AND content, I don't want to choose betweem them.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 5:05 pm
I don't look at the Bestseller's list for good books - I usually look at Oprah's book club list when I'm in need of something good.

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Jun 25 2007, 9:15 pm
I just finished this also! It took me about halfway through the book before I really got into it. I agree, the five different voices were so distinctive and made it really interesting. The descriptions of the village, the landscape, the people, all were made me feel like I was right there.

I thought the last part, in the years after they left, got a little repetitive. But I loved seeing where they all ended up.

I've read a couple of her other books and hope to get more soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room