Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you consider Fuschia a refined color?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you consider fuschia refined?
Yes  
 45%  [ 38 ]
No  
 54%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 83

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:42 am
HM the Queen is a leader. Fuschia on her is appropriate: it is an eye-catching, commanding, high-fashion color.

In that sense she's regal, not modest. Not the reserved kind of modest which is our kind.

We can imitate her dignity, but we aren't aiming to be visible, the way she must be, in her role.

imaima

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 3:47 am
I consider fuchsia a beautiful color that suits my complexion, so I have several fuchsia items. Whether it is refined or not, depends on the cut IMO and not on the color itself.

Black may be a refined color but it's not refined if it's racy black undies.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:09 am
DrMom wrote:
For reasons I've never understood (someone please explain this to me), many people look to the Queen of England as the arbiter of tznua clothing. I read all the time on these boards: "Would the Queen of England wear denim/yoga pants/sweatshirts/bandanas? Of course not! And you are a bas melech, therefore you shouldn't either. "

In that vein, I will post this photo:

She wears every color of the rainbow... and then some!
Maybe we should be wearing her style of tichels too? Wink

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 4:09 am
Whoops! Double post

Last edited by Iymnok on Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

chaos

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 5:33 am
imaima wrote:
I consider fuchsia a beautiful color that suits my complexion, so I have several fuchsia items. Whether it is refined or not, depends on the cut IMO and not on the color itself.

Black may be a refined color but it's not refined if it's racy black undies.

I'll take it a step further and say that I can think of plenty of black clothing items that are not refined and tznius....Greenfire's boot pictures from that "Are boots tznius?" thread come to mind as an example, among many other things. I'm too frum to link to graphic examples; I'll just let you use your imagination.

Obviously, in order to prevent anyone from wearing racy black untznius/unrefined items, the color black should be banned. There is no way we can trust anyone to use common sense or judgment. I will be writing a follow up book to R' Falk in which I ban the color black.

All kidding aside, this is why I dislike the objective tznius guidelines approach. A color is a color. It isn't inherently refined/unrefined, tznius/untznius. Rather, it's all about how you use the color and the overall tone of the rest of the outfit, which is why I prefer to take a more holistic approach rather than an objective guidelines approach. Fuchsia, or even red for that matter, can actually be quite sophisticated and lovely in the form of an accent color and even a larger garment can look beautiful and appropriate. I think the Queen's fuchsia coat is quite fabulous!

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 5:33 am
I think the Queen is often used because a) She is from a generation that never wore above the knee skirts b) being in the public eye means she is always properly dressed and c) we are all supposed to be royalty as the daughters of The King.

rachel91

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 6:42 am
And again and again and again...It depends!

A fuchsia tight, shiny skirt isn't the same as a fuchsia tweed suit(like the queen was wearing in the picture).

I wear fuchsia, I own fuchsia sweaters, 1 skirt etc.
I still think it depends on the type of clothing, rather than the color. Yes, it catches the eye, but we can't always be dressed in depressing tones such as navy, grey and black.

Any color could catch the eye! Pink, yellow, green, orange...It also depends on the shade and the garment, so again, my answer is that it depends!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:52 pm
It's more youthful than refined and eidel. I would wear it- not full look!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 12:55 pm
I guess what I am asking (and you can see the poll is very evenly split!) is - is fuschia louder than lemon yellow or coral or turquoise or lime green? These are all (or can be) bright colors, but do you find fuschia is just that much more?

I mentioned Rabbi Falk because I don't follow everything he says, but try to analyze it. So his (or his rebbeztin's) opinion about fuschia will not necessarily cause me to stop wearing it. I am trying to formulate an opinion.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 1:47 pm
[quote="amother"]We try to adhere to a yeshivish standard. Anything I read in Rabbi Falk's book, I compare to what I know and analyze myself, since I know some of his standards are not ours. I saw that he's not in favor of fuschia, he considers it too close to red (which we don't wear in large amounts). And I was inclined to think, maybe I would agree.

But then I recently saw a friend wearing an entire garment of fuschia. This is a woman who is the epitome of the old-fashioned standard of tznius, eschewing human hair sheitels.

When a saleswoman saw she was hesitating regarding a new garment, the woman said, "But, it's the very latest style!"

"Well," said my friend, "then I wouldn't dream of buying it!"

So I'm thinking, if she wears fuschia, it really must be fine. Why would I think otherwise? (Of course, it may depend on the depth of the shade. Hot pink? Magenta?)[/quote]

if you do go by rf' only in certain times then your creating such a problem for yourself. you will always be questioning. you need to decide if you go by his standards or not. if what he says is true why dont you go by his standards? you need to be honest with yourself. we cant tell you if you should follow his book. I never actually went through his book so I cant even tell you if hes machmir. I think by you asking us and feeling iffy about the color tells me that you know theres a problem with the color regardless of what that rebetzin/friend does. I know it sounds diff then the norm but if you want to do whats right follow what your gut tells you and what halacha does. bec here you will find all kinds of levels of tznius. you have your own level of tznius that you know not anyone here does.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:28 pm
The only colors that are refined are black, gray and navy. Sometimes a dark brown.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
I guess what I am asking (and you can see the poll is very evenly split!) is - is fuschia louder than lemon yellow or coral or turquoise or lime green? These are all (or can be) bright colors, but do you find fuschia is just that much more?

I mentioned Rabbi Falk because I don't follow everything he says, but try to analyze it. So his (or his rebbeztin's) opinion about fuschia will not necessarily cause me to stop wearing it. I am trying to formulate an opinion.

Fuschia is not louder than lime, or lemon. It's very similar to cobalt. Turquoise and a delicate yellow are similar, but not comparable to lemon or lime.

Anyways, Escada has a gorgeous gold dress. It's totally different than a standard gold dress. Style is a bigger thing than color.

If you want to find a color in a tzniusdig style you either have to pay out of your nose or find some extra special sale, but ultimately you pay for what you get. The more expensive brands carry more refined items, regardless of the colors. Oh, and if you're 50, you cannot pull off what a 20 year old can and still looked refined.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 2:59 pm
I'm MO and I wear a lot of bright and fun colors. I know it is different in different communities. In my world, color is totally not an issue.

But I do feel this: whether a woman is "refined" or not is not about the color she wears. It is about her demeanor, her manners, her poise, her maturity. The color doesn't matter at all.

Imogen

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:27 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:

But I do feel this: whether a woman is "refined" or not is not about the color she wears. It is about her demeanor, her manners, her poise, her maturity. The color doesn't matter at all.

Absolutely!!! Manner and expression are far more an indicator of refinement than colour or cut of garment. I am always taken aback when people do not realise the importance of good body language and pleasant eye contact.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:40 pm
Refined means cultured and elegant. Cultured and elegant people can wear any color, if the items themselves can be described as such. I don’t know how colors ever became refined or unrefined. Black isn’t any more refined than any other color. It’s just more low-key.

I hope people aren’t passing this arbitrary bias onto their children. Kids can have a lot of fun with color. It’s great being young.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 7:56 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
The only colors that are refined are black, gray and navy. Sometimes a dark brown.

Are you serious?

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Are you serious?
I'm sorry Pink Fridge. According to the poster above, you are just NOT refined! Pink doesn't make the cut! (I think she was kidding!)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 8:21 pm
I think she's tongue in cheek too. My sarcasm radar is down. But there was another thread where it wasn't so obvious.

penguin

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:20 pm
PF, are you quite sure your fridge is not fuschia? If so, you might be disqualified from rendering an opinion on this thread. Just sayin'

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 17 2014, 10:43 pm
Penguin, I think the pot's calling the kettle black, I mean fuchsia. I just opened your avatar in Photoshop and I must say you sure look fuchsia to me!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics