Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Traditional food?

Seraph

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 5:35 am
I grew up on a variety of different ethnic foods. Chinese. Middle eastern. Greek. Italian. South American. Indian.

I have no idea what "normal" food is.
My husband doesn't like the fact that I make weird food- he wants more traditional food, like what he grew up with. But he wasn't able to tell me what specifically is normal food.
So pretty much I've been making lotsa noodles with sauce. Cuz thats the only food that I know is "normal".

Can you give me suggestions for weekday foods that is "normal" and not "ethnic"?

And if you have recipes to go with it, that would be nice.

Also, if you have suggestions for normal shabbos food? (Aside from chicken soup, potato kugel, and cholent. Cuz those I already know.)

Mishie

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 5:44 am
Breslov - When we first got married I was also at a loss as with what to make for dinners. So, I decided to ask my MIL what she used to make, and also for her recipes.
Have you tried asking you Husband's Mom?

Some of what I make for dinners (which I think is considered normal):

Macaronie and Cheese Cassarole
Lasagna
Fried Fish
Hamburgers
Chicken
Schnitzel
Spagetti (either Milchig with Cheese, or Fleishig with Meat-balls)

suomynona

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 5:45 am
weekday:
meatballs and spaghetti
chicken and rice
shnitzel
lasagna

shabbos:
gefilte fish
egg salad
liver

Seraph

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:00 am
Any milchig weekday recipes? Besides for lasagna which is a whooooooole bunch of work?

Btw, I did ask my MIL what she normally cooked. She blanked out. Wink So didn't help much.

Oy- liver isn't happening...

Marion

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:04 am
Stir fry? I make it for Shabbat...I don't consider it ethnic. It's just chunks of meat or chicken with veggies, no?

Stew
Pasta or rice
Meatloaf/meatballs
schnitzel/chicken breast
mashed potato

fish
baked potatoes (with various toppings if you're making milchig)

I don't know...we don't eat so different during the week from on Shabbat (we eat leftovers ALL week).

Seraph

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 6:13 am
Marion wrote:
Stir fry? I make it for Shabbat...I don't consider it ethnic. It's just chunks of meat or chicken with veggies, no?

Stew

How do you season stir fry? I make stir fry chinesey. What other ways are there to do it?

What goes in your stew?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 7:00 am
You also have to realize that since you're married to a South African, what you, as an American might consider bormal, would be weird for him.

Meatballs and spaghetti
Fish and chips (breaded and fried sole with french fries)
Mac and cheese
tuna noodle casserole
potato latkes
tuna latkes
combo latkes

Seraph

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 8:02 am
True, Kmelion.
To him, mealie-pap is normal food. (I had no idea what it was until I was married to him.)
As is chutney and things of the sort.

Ima'la

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 9:18 am
A lot of the "normal" foods people have suggested, an objective observer might consider "American"! Then again, when I wrote that, I was thinking of lasagna, and maybe that should technically be "Italian"!

Marion

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 10:49 am
breslov wrote:
Marion wrote:

Stew

How do you season stir fry? I make stir fry chinesey. What other ways are there to do it?

What goes in your stew?

I don't usually season stir fry at all. Maybe a bit of garlic or mustard, or sometimes I'll toss in some chicken soup powder, but that's about it.

Stew is meat ("cholent meat", but it's really stewing beef), potatoes, onion, and carrots, in water, simmered for a really, really long time.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 10:58 am
Yummmmmmmm

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 25 2007, 11:08 am
breslov wrote:
True, Kmelion.
To him, mealie-pap is normal food. (I had no idea what it was until I was married to him.)
As is chutney and things of the sort.

when I was in south africa, I got a jewish cookbook from there made from the south african jewish community and the food there isn't much different than it is here.

they have similar food there but call it different names. mealie-pap is popular there and I don't get why its basically the same as american grits just a bit finer. They also do some baking with corn flour. they amke something called milk tart, its basically custard baked on a crust.

chutney is the indian influence to food in south africa. I like indian food so I like using chutney. The only thing I noticed in south africa about shabbos there was that gefilte fish and kugel wasn't that common.

tuna lasgna was something I never had until I was in south africa.

They eat the same food. pizza, hamburgers, fired chicken, you name it most of it is the same.

a bri is just a BBQ
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics