Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Yeah can listen to music again after Shabbos!!!!!
1  2  Next

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 1:46 pm
Cheers I can't wait it has been so hard to not listen to music this Omer, I've really struggled. Music is a really important part of my life when I'am feeling down music gives me a real lift. Well BH I can listen to music again soon. Does anyone else feel like this too?

bashinda

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 2:11 pm
yeah although I did listen today since it's erev shabbos

rainbow baby

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 2:21 pm
Oh and of course we can cut the kids and dh hair, now that one a really cannot wait for. they are starting to all look like scarecrows. lol

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 3:05 pm
I can't wait!!!! I don't manage too well without music

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 4:11 pm
YAY IM SO EXCITED! Cheers Bounce

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:22 pm
BasHinda, it's not an official time to listen to music, Friday afternoon or Motzei Shabbos (I asked).

shalhevet

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 3:33 pm
Not everyone holds like this. We have to wait till erev yomtov after chatzos. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:22 pm
Shalhavet, doesn't your community celebrate any weddings before Shavous?

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:46 pm
there are different opinions on this

TzenaRena

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:51 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Not everyone holds like this. We have to wait till erev yomtov after chatzos. Confused
We don't give haircuts till then. (I'm not sure about chatzos though., but Erev Shavuos, for sure)It's in Hayom Yom.

chanab

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:53 pm
Nor do we listen to music either as far as I was told by my (lubavitcher) Rav until Erev Shavuos, Tzena

TzenaRena

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 11:03 pm
So why are there chasuanahs at this time, then? (we were told we could have music at our son's Bar Mitzvah). Obviously there are several opinions, within Lubavitch. I'd like to know the sources for the differences. Confused

It's true that in my young adulthood, I thought we don't make weddings in 3 ymei Hagbalah, but the fact is that it has become very common.

shalhevet

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 2:41 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Shalhavet, doesn't your community celebrate any weddings before Shavous?

I don't think so; only on Lag B'Omer itself. Sephardim in EY usually have weddings from the day after Lag B'Omer.

Haircuts are muttar from Erev Shavuos in the morning - this is according to the Arizal AFAIK. But that is b/c it is l'koved yom tov (unlike music). Of course many get haircuts all shloshes y'mei hagbolo, but that is a different minhag.

If the bar mitzva is the actual birthday then music is allowed the entire Omer because it is a seudas mitzva, as far as I remember. (I'll let you know in 8 years time, iy"H. I have a 5 yr old ds, born on beis Iyyar.)

gryp

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 10:20 am
Lubavitchers aren't supposed to cut hair until after Shavous. From today's Hayom Yom:
Quote:
Haircutting during the Three Days of Preparation, before Erev Shavuot, was displeasing to my father.

shalhevet

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 10:40 am
GR wrote:
Lubavitchers aren't supposed to cut hair until after Shavous. From today's Hayom Yom:
Quote:
Haircutting during the Three Days of Preparation, before Erev Shavuot, was displeasing to my father.

Not attacking (really!) just clarifying. What is the Hebrew original, because this is ambiguous? You can understand it as you shouldn't have haircuts during the 3 days before E. Shavuos, ie on Erev Shavuos you can (and should, l'koved yom tov) and that is the minhag Arizal, as I mentioned.

sc

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 11:22 am
that hayom yom is saying not to cut hair b4 erev shavous but on erev shavous we can cut hair

gryp

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:02 pm
I looked it up in the original, it's very different than the English. Confused Don't ask me why.

K'shehistapru BiYimei Hagbalah Kodem Erev Chag HaShavous, Lo Huysah Ruach E"Emor (HaRashab) Nocha Mizeh.

I should learn how to type in Hebrew. Rolling Eyes

sc, you're right. the impression I was under was wrong.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:47 pm
maybe b/c, GR, you have little kids. you prob. didn't think about it.

a married woman cuts whenever she needs to, basically. little boys cut by 3 years old, upsherenish, right? and if older kids had a good haircut before Pesach, they aren't plotzing right now, so . . .

gryp

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:53 pm
no conjectures, please, choc moose. you're way off-base, to say it bluntly.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:06 pm
Scuse me? I am speaking from experience.

I took my daughter, when she was little, to have her hair cut twice a year - before Rosh HaShana and before Pesach. She would wear it chin length, with a headband, and as it grew, a ponytail.

My husband cut our son's hair until he was prety big - into high school, IIRC. Again, if he got a good short haircut erev Pesach, he wasn't plotzing for a haircut near Shavous. I think he could make it even until the 3 Weeks, IIRC.

As far as a married lady, you can ask your own rov, but I was told a married woman could groom, specially for mikvah, at any time, except erev Tisha B'av and Tisha B'av itself.

So, what of this do you have problems with, GR?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics