Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Happy Mother's Day.
1  2  Next

brooklyn

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:40 am
I know every day is mother's day and that secular day that we are celebrating today is a Hallmark creation, blah, blah , blah. But, I would like to wish of of my fellow mother's A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

crbc

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:13 am
Happy Mother's Day!!!!

We are off to an early start as baby woke up at 6 am screaming "Mama, Mama" and then my "big"ones came in to our room with cute projects they made in school for Mother's Day. My DH promised me 2 hours shopping time WITHOUT kids! My kids also made projects for Grandmas and I'll hopefully buy some small presents for them we will see them later today. Very Happy

happyone

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:20 am
Happy mothers day! What are you doing for your mothers, if anything? I think I'll send flowers to my mil and mother. As for my kids, they've been overwhelmingly nudgy since 6:30a.m. Guess everyone has a different way of saying (whining) mommy, I love you!

amother  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:46 am
I thought I would just quit being a mother - it seemed a lot easier ... but then I realized that on mother's day - especially since we are celebrating mothers - well all the more so it should not be a time to give in ... isn't it ironic that as a celebration for all our devotion and time we want the day off.

Instead as my dear friend said I SALUTE YOU - to all you mothers the ones who are alone, to the mothers who are raising their siblings, to the mothers who at times become mothers to their mothers, to the mothers longing to be mothers, to the mothers who help mother others children, to the mothers we wish and hope to be, to the mothers we want our husbands to appreciate, and most of all to the mothers who want their children to know how much we love them - no matter what!!!

this was on a card my dear friend sent me ... just wanted to share:

"My friend, do you know what a beautiful person you are? Do you know that you're important in this world, needed by your family, and absolutely essential to me as a friend? All the strength you'll ever need is right there in that courageous heart of yours. So hang on to that smile, that resolve, and keep trusting in tomorrow. And never forget that I'm your friend, and I'll always be nearby to help you do just that. Thinking of you on MOTHER'S DAY."

So how did she know that I needed to hear exactly this just now in my life, I do not know, but she is a friend and yes we all need to hear this from someone. For all of you I wish you the same with love from my heart to yours.
Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower

greenfire  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:47 am
I thought I would just quit being a mother - it seemed a lot easier ... but then I realized that on mother's day - especially since we are celebrating mothers - well all the more so it should not be a time to give in ... isn't it ironic that as a celebration for all our devotion and time we want the day off.

Instead as my dear friend said I SALUTE YOU - to all you mothers the ones who are alone, to the mothers who are raising their siblings, to the mothers who at times become mothers to their mothers, to the mothers longing to be mothers, to the mothers who help mother others children, to the mothers we wish and hope to be, to the mothers we want our husbands to appreciate, and most of all to the mothers who want their children to know how much we love them - no matter what!!!

this was on a card my dear friend sent me ... just wanted to share:

"My friend, do you know what a beautiful person you are? Do you know that you're important in this world, needed by your family, and absolutely essential to me as a friend? All the strength you'll ever need is right there in that courageous heart of yours. So hang on to that smile, that resolve, and keep trusting in tomorrow. And never forget that I'm your friend, and I'll always be nearby to help you do just that. Thinking of you on MOTHER'S DAY."

So how did she know that I needed to hear exactly this just now in my life, I do not know, but she is a friend and yes we all need to hear this from someone. For all of you I wish you the same with love from my heart to yours.
Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower Flower

BrachaVHatzlocha  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:51 am
amother wrote:

That was beautiful. Were those your own words? You really have a way with words then.
But I can only say it simply:
Happy Mothers Day to All!

greenfire  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:03 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

That was beautiful. Were those your own words? You really have a way with words then.
But I can only say it simply:
Happy Mothers Day to All!

indeed they were from my heart to your Wink and simple but real is important too!!!

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:07 am
humm...Let's see... on a day that YES I would love to have off.

It's my daughter's recital, so it's like push and pull trying to get her short hair into a bun.

Kids were up at 7:30
"Mommy" Here are your presents, what's for breakfast???

My brother promised last night that he would make sure they all had breakfast, well he was still asleep in bed... LOL

Also, I forgot to wash my daughter's leotard!!! It's in the laundry now, and I have to now run to the local store, and hope they have pink tights and her's have a run and the dance teacher WILL NOT let her on stage if she's not "perfect."

chocolate moose  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:08 am
Historyof Mother's day

Anna Jarvis, daughter of Anna Reeves Jarvis, who had moved from Grafton, West Virginia, to Philadelphia, in 1890, was the power behind the official establishment of Mother's Day

swore at her mother's gravesite in 1905 to dedicate her life to her mother's project, and establish a Mother's Day to honor mothers, living and dead

a persistent rumor is that Anna's grief was intensified because she and her mother had quarreled and her mother died before they could reconcile

in 1907 she passed out 500 white carnations at her mother's church, St. Andrew's Methodist Episcopal Church in Grafton, West Virginia -- one for each mother in the congregation

May 10, 1908: the first church -- St. Andrew's in Grafton, West Virginia -- responded to her request for a Sunday service honoring mothers

1908: John Wanamaker, a Philadelphia merchant, joined the campaign for Mother's Day

also in 1908: the first bill was presented in the U.S.
Sponsored Links
Mother's Day History
Learn The History of Mother's Day. Browse Our Free Articles Now!
www.LifeScript.com

Mothers Day
Make Mother's Day Memorable with Tips & Ideas From MarthaStewart.com
MarthaStewart.com

Mothers Day
Find The Top Mothers Day. Fast & Easy.
DayMothers.info
Senate proposing establishment of Mother's Day, by Nebraska Senator Elmer Burkett, at the request of the Young Men's Christian Association. The proposal was killed by sending it back to committee, 33-14.

1909: Mother's Day services were held in 46 states plus Canada and Mexico

Anna Jarvis gave up her job -- sometimes reported as a teaching job, sometimes as a job clerking in an insurance office -- to work full-time writing letters to politicians, clergy members, business leaders, women's clubs and anyone else she thought might have some influence

Anna Jarvis was able to enlist the World's Sunday School Association in the lobbying campaign, a key success factor in convincing legislators in states and in the U.S. Congress to support the holiday

1912: West Virginia became the first state to adopt an official Mother's Day

1914: the U.S. Congress passed a Joint Resolution, and President Woodrow Wilson signed it, establishing Mother's Day, emphasizing women's role in the family (not as activists in the public arena, as Howe's Mother's Day had been)

Texas Senators Cotton Tom Heflin and Morris Shepard introduced the joint resolution adopted in 1914. Both were ardent prohibitionists.

Anna Jarvis became increasingly concerned over the commercialization of Mother's Day: "I wanted it to be a day of sentiment, not profit." She opposed the selling of flowers (see below) and also the use of greeting cards: "a poor excuse for the letter you are too lazy to write."

1923: Anna Jarvis filed suit against New York Governor Al Smith, over a Mother's Day celebration; when a court threw the suit out, she began a public protest and was arrested for disturbing the peace

1931: Anna Jarvis criticized Eleanor Roosevelt for her work with a Mother's Day committee that was not Jarvis' committee

Anna Jarvis never had children of her own. She died in 1948, blind and penniless, and was buried next to her mother in a cemetery in the Philadelphia area.
Mother's Day Landmark:

the International Mother's Day Shrine: this church in Grafton, West Virginia, was the site of the first unofficial Mother's Day celebration as created by Anna Jarvis, May 10, 1907

Mother's Day: What You Need to Know
Ancient Celebrations of Mothers and Motherhood
Mothering Sunday in Britain
Mothers' Work Days
Julia Ward Howe's Mother's Day
Anna Jarvis and Mother's Day
Carnations, Anna Jarvis, and Mother's Day
International Mother's Days Today
Mother's Day Statistics
Mother's Day Proclamations
Famous Mothers
Quotes on Mothers and Motherhood
Ideas for Mother's Day (in the spirit of the originals)
Motherhood in History
Mother's Day - Index
Text copyright 1999-2005 © Jone Johnson Lewis

More on Mother's Day
Anna Reeves Jarvis
Carnations, Anna Jarvis, and Mother's Day
Mother's Day - Index
Motherhood History
Motherhood History
Quotes on Mothers and Motherhood
Related Articles
Celebrate Mother's Day - History and Origin of Mot...
Mother's Day - History, Genealogy and Famous Moms
Carnations, Anna Jarvis, and Mother's Day - Mother...
History of Mother's Day
When is Mothers Day - 2006 Mothers Day Getaways
Sponsored Links
Mother's Day Poem Cards
100s of Nice Mothers Day Poem Cards Use Our Poems, Or Write Your Own
MothersDayFuncards.com

Perfect Mother's Day Gift
Looking for Unique Gift Ideas for Mom? Find it at Sam's Club Today!
www.SamsClub.com

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 9:45 am
my kids are too young to do anything for me, but I did hint (very bluntly) to my husband that I wouldn't mind flowers or ice cream or something. Smile
Here are virtual flowers to you all!
{{{{{{{{FLOWERS}}}}}}}}}}
(sorry, don't know how to make the like greenfire!)

Mishie  

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 10:17 am

greenfire

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 5:17 am
happy mother's day !!!

Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower Drunken Smile Flower

amother  

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 11:53 am
My husband said that I am not his mother and therefore my child should celebrate it with me- problem is my child is six months old- OH WELL

Squash  

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 11:57 am
I would not want my kids to celebrate mother's day or treat me any different on mother's day. that's just me.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 12:03 pm
my husband isn't american and has a bit of trouble with the celebrating mother's day. so I don't expect anything & sometimes he surprises me. like this morning he made breakfast & bought me two pieces of my favorite cake (& then he ate one- he said the mother's husband should get perks too, for putting up with me).

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 1:42 pm
Squash, what are you going to do when yhour kids come in with breakfast in bed, then ? Disappoint them ?

Mishie

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 2:02 pm

Squash

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 2:10 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Squash, what are you going to do when yhour kids come in with breakfast in bed, then ? Disappoint them ?

hey hey I would always appreciate breakfast in bed. never said I wouldn't. it's just that I wouldn't want them to take a day and call it mother's day. especially mother's day.

if they would decide one day 'out of the blue' to do something like that 'just because' it would be so much more meaningful than if they'd do it cuz e/o else is doing it. kwim?

amother

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
My husband said that I am not his mother and therefore my child should celebrate it with me- problem is my child is six months old- OH WELL

He must know my dh except I am steamingf at the ears and giving dh major attitude for it but my baby is bigger & learning from dh to do nothing. Exploding anger

RedRuby

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 8:10 pm
I got breakfast in bed...but learned my lesson and requested a 'crumb-free' menu, since I hate crumbs in bed!!!

Sooo fun to hear them rattling around in the kitchen, cutting up fruit salad and searching for a tray.

I don't know who it's more fun for ... the kids or me.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Imamothers out there!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics