Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Peach Magazine - Don't force your ideas on everyone else
  Previous  1  2  3   31  32  33  Next

5*Mom

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 4:33 am
amother wrote:
They wrote that on the warning label for dtap it saids one of the side effects Is that a kid can become autistic.

You can check that easily enough by doing a simple Google search: "dtap vaccine insert."

sky

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
The Lakewood woman are not from the 1800's. we have a smart phones and Internet and yes we do our own research. I thought the magazine was informative.

Depends where you live and who you are. only 1 out of my many sister in laws has access to a smart phone. As an example I once got a text message for one and she told me the number it was coming from so I wouldn't pick up the phone (like a fax). There are many many many women who don't have access to technology and rely on the periodicals and info phone lines for their information.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 6:50 am
The Lakewood public library is pretty advanced and anyone who doesnt have use of the Internet goes there for their computers. I always see frum people using the computers at the library or sitting there for two hours using the computer.

Lakewood people are pretty advanced today.

As an example I live in a complex that all the men are sitting and learning yet you can take your phone and walk around the complex and see how's many people have cable or Internet through verizon. Many people don't admit they have it but most do today.

sky

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 6:58 am
amother wrote:
The Lakewood public library is pretty advanced and anyone who doesnt have use of the Internet goes there for their computers. I always see frum people using the computers at the library or sitting there for two hours using the computer.

Lakewood people are pretty advanced today.

As an example I live in a complex that all the men are sitting and learning yet you can take your phone and walk around the complex and see how's many people have cable or Internet through verizon. Many people don't admit they have it but most do today.

My family members are most definitely not going to the Lakewood library. My husband grew up in the original Lakewood community and I'm very close to it and a large part of it is still very sheltered.
What about people living in Yeshiva apartments, 6th street basements, Monmouth, Lexington, private way areas. Many are still very sheltered and don't have access. They are also a lot more trusting of what they are told.

I don't live in a complex I live in an older neighborhood and it is a mix. some have absolutely nothing and some have internet. And you would be surprised about some of the families that have chosen to have nothing.

chaiz

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:00 am
5*Mom wrote:
You can check that easily enough by doing a simple Google search: "dtap vaccine insert."

Right and what it says autism is one of the adverse reactions reported. But, this is self reported and a causal link has not been found.

5*Mom

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:01 am
This isn't a lack-of-internet-access problem. The internet is a super efficient way to access information but it isn't the only way. This is a critical thinking problem, on both sides.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:39 am
5*Mom wrote:
This isn't a lack-of-internet-access problem. The internet is a super efficient way to access information but it isn't the only way. This is a critical thinking problem, on both sides.

Yes x 1,000,000!

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:49 am
sky wrote:
My family members are most definitely not going to the Lakewood library. My husband grew up in the original Lakewood community and I'm very close to it and a large part of it is still very sheltered.
What about people living in Yeshiva apartments, 6th street basements, Monmouth, Lexington, private way areas. Many are still very sheltered and don't have access. They are also a lot more trusting of what they are told.

I don't live in a complex I live in an older neighborhood and it is a mix. some have absolutely nothing and some have internet. And you would be surprised about some of the families that have chosen to have nothing.

I absolutely agree. A lot of my neighbors don't have internet. The schools don't let, they don't want their kids to have access to it and they really don't feel any need for internet. A lot of their husbands have it on their phones or at work, but most of the wives don't work and never go online.

m in Israel

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
They wrote that on the warning label for dtap it saids one of the side effects Is that a kid can become autistic.

Here's a link to the insert

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/b.....0.pdf

I skimmed through the entire thing, and closely read the adverse reactions and warning sections, and did not find anything saying there is a link to autism. You're welcome to read it through yourself, but I have a feeling that they are just mixing up the debunked "study" claiming a link between MMR and autism with the dtap.

BTW, if you see the insert you can understand why most doctors will just give their own information sheet or verbal information -- because the vast majority of parents don't want to have to read 15 pages of clinical information just to find out "there's a chance your kid may get a fever or redness on his arm over the next few days. Use tylenol if necessary."

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 7:59 am
m in Israel wrote:
Here's a link to the insert

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/b.....0.pdf

I skimmed through the entire thing, and closely read the adverse reactions and warning sections, and did not find anything saying there is a link to autism. You're welcome to read it through yourself, but I have a feeling that they are just mixing up the debunked "study" claiming a link between MMR and autism with the dtap.

BTW, if you see the insert you can understand why most doctors will just give their own information sheet or verbal information -- because the vast majority of parents don't want to have to read 15 pages of clinical information just to find out "there's a chance your kid may get a fever or redness on his arm over the next few days. Use tylenol if necessary."

Page 11.

They're required to refer to reactions that are frequently reported. If 1000s of people reported that it changed their children into monkeys, it would have to be mentioned. So the fact that people like the publishers of this rag believe that vaccines cause autism actually "causes" it to be included.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:49 am
UQT wrote:
I genuinely want to hear from someone who is part of this anti-vaccination why they feel they need the publicity. Is it guilt? Are they trying to convince themselves?

I honestly believe that the people who published this are not sure what else they should be doing with their time. They must have too much time on their hands ...they make themselves believe that they are doing something important when the reality is that of course we have all heard of the concept of side effects from vaccines. There are pros and cons and even if we all never sat down to read the insert of the immunization, we know that our dr. has and we choose to trust him.

It's so ridiculous that someone would waste so much time on a publication. These few (otherwise bored) individuals were immunized themselves .... I'm sure it's their kids who are walking around with that perpetual runny nose contaminating all of our children. Wait till that runny nose turns into something big ... oh, wait and see how wonderful it is never to immunize and medicate.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:12 am
This is what I wrote to them:

I am a worried bubbie.

My third child developed high fever after one shot, after which the health department gave him 'half doses'. Then my seventh had high fever after a shot. After that I refused to give the pertussis shot, until my doctor pushed me to give the acellular pertussis.

As I got older and read more, I refused everything that was added to the list after the DTP and MMR. If I still had small children, I don't think I would give them any shots at all.

I don't say much to my children, because I doubt that they would listen. Occasionally I might print out an article, but it makes little impression on them. So I am really glad that you've publicized this well organized information, and I am hoping my children will read it.

Thank you again.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:13 am
do you have the same reaction to j#sus magazines ?

what about lubavitchers on mivtzaim ?

really you can be nice about it - it's not poison or catchy to have an opinion ... take what you want & throw out the rest ~

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:15 am
Imamother above.
P.S. I have a Bachelor of Science from a recognized university, not a frum program. Just sayin'...

Before you go bashing all the anti-vax people, maybe take the time to read some of the literature from the 'other side'?

Just because you've been brainwashed that your doctors are second only to Moshe Rabbeinu (or maybe above him?) doesn't mean the rest of us can't read material from another point of view and form our own opinions.

Reminds me somewhat of the poor naive women who take breastfeeding advice from their usually male pediatricians. As if they know better!

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:18 am
not all kids will break out in high fever ... each parent should just do what they think is best. But handing out papers in dr. shaniks office ...that's chutzpah and not normal. That's when you begin to wonder who these people are anyway and I think it's cult like to go to a dr.s office and hand things out. find something better to do with your time. We are all aware there are pros and cons .... no need to get so involved!

fly on the wall

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:19 am
I didn't receive a copy of this mag, but I would be interested to see who is behind it.-Not that I agree with them, I have other reasons. Would someone kindly post the page with that info, or pm me?
Thanks.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:23 am
I live in Lakewood and go to a well known pediatrician here. I vaccinate my kids but on a very very delayed schedule and I start when my child is older. My pediatrician told me don't tell anybody I say this but I agree with you. He said that legally he has to push vaccinations on his patients or he'll lose his license. The amount of vaccinations we give our kids is too much. They don't need so many boosters.

UQT

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:42 am
Does anyone here agree with this statement:

"We were far better off 50 + years ago before vaccinations were developed. The diseases that were around then were not as bad as the potential side effects our children could get from getting vaccinated."

I can't believe anyone would say yes.

imasinger

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Imamother above.
P.S. I have a Bachelor of Science from a recognized university, not a frum program. Just sayin'...

Before you go bashing all the anti-vax people, maybe take the time to read some of the literature from the 'other side'?

Just because you've been brainwashed that your doctors are second only to Moshe Rabbeinu (or maybe above him?) doesn't mean the rest of us can't read material from another point of view and form our own opinions.

Reminds me somewhat of the poor naive women who take breastfeeding advice from their usually male pediatricians. As if they know better!

There is "literature from the other side" that offers food for thought.

And there are the outright lies.

Like the lie that the medical establishment is in cahoots with drug companies (aka "Big Pharma") and cares more about the bottom line than public health. Like the assertion, never validated and thoroughly refuted, that "vaccines cause autism" is torah misinai, instead of clearly untrue. Like the offering of anecdotal evidence and calling it "proof."

I respect those who have done their research and choose to delay or limit vaxing. But presenting a mix of fact and fiction to a community that has limited time and resources to learn about this complex matter is wrong. And an affront to public health in a vulnerable place.

Lakewood has more children per family than most of America, and many families pride themselves on being "sheltered." They are not used to having "J4J" publications appear on their doorsteps. I hope they are not too sheltered to take this with a grain of salt.

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 10:20 am
have any of you ladies ever done research on vaccines? most of you prob didnt, we all trust our pediatricians blindly,but there might be another side to the story. These are our children were talking about- the most precious thing in the world! I wouldnt feel comfortable just trusting my dr blindly without doing my own research, Doctors are not "Mr. know it all". Dont get me wrong- I do give shots, but was very excited to see this magazine with its informative articles, I always felt uncomfortable just vaccinating my kids without doing research before, this magazine has give me some food for thought, they dont mean bad, they want to inform some ignorant mothers out there that have never thought otherwise! why are you so sure they are lies????????? why are some mothers so hiked up every single time someone talks about anti vaccines? you are entitled to your own opinion, but whats wrong with some informative articles???/
Page 2 of 33   Previous  1  2  3   31  32  33  Next Recent Topics