Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Ideas to make purim seudah special for DH and me
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 12:50 pm
No one invited us to a purim seudah this year. I dont want to give details but for various reasons we cant invite any guests this year. So it looks like DH and I will be eating the seudah alone.

How do I make this (both food and atmosphere) into a yom tov feeling?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:00 pm
I am a newlywed. For various reasons, we, too, will be eating alone.
I hope to make it a romantic purim seudah!
Good wine, nice steaks, garlic bread, a nice potatoes side, a soup...

Try to put on a happy show even if you aren't feeling it at the moment- once you start acting that way, you will start feeling that way too!

Use this Purim as a chance to spend time with DH in a fun, romantic setting. Use this time to appreciate your wonderful DH Very Happy

freidasima

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:06 pm
If you are "fun" people have a special fun meal with fun foods, a fun atmosphere and loads of wine. If you are serious people have a special serious meal with serious foods, a serious atmosphere and loads of wine.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:14 pm
we are grape juice people. Does that make us fun or serious? What is serious food and what is fun food?

Purim is a long day so I have all day to patchka.

suzyq

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:17 pm
Are invitations all done being given out? Purim is still a few weeks away...

Can you go to a shul's seudah?

If you are going to be alone, have fun with it - do a theme and make some special recipes for the two of you.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
we are grape juice people. Does that make us fun or serious? What is serious food and what is fun food?

Purim is a long day so I have all day to patchka.

Serious: expensive steaks. Do a fancy appetizer beforehand, maybe chicken or veal marsala or London broil salad or just a pretty pastry appetizer with mushroom sauce...

Fun food: Party food, such as sesame chicken, bbq wings, dogs in blankets, chicken nuggets with buffalo sauce... sushi...

freidasima

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:35 pm
Grape juice can be great too, we can't drink wine either here (health reasons...)
Fun food is food that you consider to be fun and not serious. Around here pizza is fun, steak is serious, onion soup is fun, chicken soup is serious, lemon meringue pie is fun, apple pie is serious, etc.

What should you do all day? Are you giving mishloach manot? That takes some time. Do you want to dress up? You can google lots of interesting purim customs and try them out. Do you have family far away that you can call up and wish happy purim to? You can do that too.

And if you want to make it meaningful, part of the mitzva of purim is matonos laevyonim, zedoko for the poor. You can look together for a worthwhile cause to donate to, read up about it on that day, and discuss the meaning of the mitzva of purim.

A fun thing to do is for you to make up a "purim quiz" for your dh and he for you. Each of you prepares ten questions for the other one to answer and prepare a bunch of cheap funny wacky gifts for each other when one gets a question right. Make the questions hard.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:43 pm
I find the shana rishona holidays with only the couple to be soooo special per se. enjoy it!!!

masalapeanuts

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:49 pm
My husband and I will be alone with our baby also. I've also thought about things to do to make it fun. I'm going to make a lot of pie crust dough in advance and freeze it, and I'm going to make several pies. We love them for shabbat and holidays. I'm also going to make some party-type food. A few types of roasted spiced/candied nuts, and a bunch of small salads. I think I'll put it all out on the table at once so it feels more "fun" that "formal."

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 1:51 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I find the shana rishona holidays with only the couple to be soooo special per se. enjoy it!!!
We are way past shana rishona. We enjoy 'couple time' together every single shabbos. I want purim seudah to be different than a regular shabbos.

Ilana Tamar

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 2:01 pm
As PP mentioned, grape juice can be fun too. There r so many different flavours out there especially if you like the carbonated ones.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
I am a newlywed. For various reasons, we, too, will be eating alone.
I hope to make it a romantic purim seudah!
Good wine, nice steaks, garlic bread, a nice potatoes side, a soup...

Try to put on a happy show even if you aren't feeling it at the moment- once you start acting that way, you will start feeling that way too!

Use this Purim as a chance to spend time with DH in a fun, romantic setting. Use this time to appreciate your wonderful DH Very Happy

Great post!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 2:55 pm
How's this to cheer you up- The second year after we got married me and DH were alone for Purim Seuda. I was about 2 1/2 months pregnant and the thought of any food made me totally nauseous - I was also totally exhausted and everything overwhelmed me. So for Purim seuda we had jarred gefilte fish and cottage cheese.

I'm sure you'll have a better seuda than we did Very Happy

freidasima

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 3:10 pm
Do you want me to top that one? When I was pregnant with number 2 I was on total bedrest and our purim consisted of my being busy throwing up four times an hour (think of princess Kate) while my almost 2 year old held the pail I was throwing up into and sang "chag purim, chag purim" (which she learned from the metapelet) while dh was in the living room eating whatever he made for himself and saying "just hang on I'll be there in a moment".

I'm sure that your purim, op, will be better than that one as well.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 3:20 pm
freidasima wrote:
Do you want me to top that one?...

FS - I missed you Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
No one invited us to a purim seudah this year. I dont want to give details but for various reasons we cant invite any guests this year. So it looks like DH and I will be eating the seudah alone.

How do I make this (both food and atmosphere) into a yom tov feeling?

Maybe all you people who are alone can get together and start a tradition for every Purim (won't work that well if your name is amother)

bamba

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:06 pm
There is still time till purim for people to invite u...I hope there is time bc I havent started thinking of purim...
Make a theme of some sort...decorate the room in accordance...dress up and make the food also in accordance...takes sone more time maybe but will really cheer u up...u cud each make a game to play at the seuda...prepare some approproate music beforw to play and make it a happy, fun and overall enjoyable seuda!!! :-) Confused

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:17 pm
please stop telling your pregnancy stories. thank you, op

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:23 pm
freidasima wrote:
Grape juice can be great too, we can't drink wine either here (health reasons...)
Fun food is food that you consider to be fun and not serious. Around here pizza is fun, steak is serious, onion soup is fun, chicken soup is serious, lemon meringue pie is fun, apple pie is serious, etc.

What should you do all day? Are you giving mishloach manot? That takes some time. Do you want to dress up? You can google lots of interesting purim customs and try them out. Do you have family far away that you can call up and wish happy purim to? You can do that too.

And if you want to make it meaningful, part of the mitzva of purim is matonos laevyonim, zedoko for the poor. You can look together for a worthwhile cause to donate to, read up about it on that day, and discuss the meaning of the mitzva of purim.

A fun thing to do is for you to make up a "purim quiz" for your dh and he for you. Each of you prepares ten questions for the other one to answer and prepare a bunch of cheap funny wacky gifts for each other when one gets a question right. Make the questions hard.
It only takes an hour or 2 to deliver MS, most of the day we are home relaxing so I would have plenty of time to cook.
Before purim we give our Rav $ to distribute ML tzedoka.

What kind of questions would be good for a quiz?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:29 pm
suzyq wrote:
Are invitations all done being given out? Purim is still a few weeks away...

Can you go to a shul's seudah?

bamba wrote:
There is still time till purim for people to invite u...

I dont know of any communal seudah around here.

there is still time to purim...thats what I think every week until Friday afternoon... there is still time... maybe this week someone will invite us for a shabbos meal... there is still time...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics