Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you recite the Haggada too?
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 11:44 am
Do you read along? Say most? the whole thing? What about others at the table? Do they just listen to the one who leads the seder?

I say the Haggada. I was very surprised when someone (who has led sedarim for decades) told me that he was a guest with his children and he did not recite the Haggada except for Hallel. shock

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 11:47 am
interesting ... once at someone elses seder only the head of the house washed for urchatz ... my son and I went to the kitchen quickly and washed too!!! we still think it is weird ... doesn't that defeat the purpose

shanie5

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:11 pm
I grew up w/ just my father reading the haggadah. dh's family all read at the same time- and I find that annoying. my sil (db's wife) family had everybody take turns reading and we liked that so much that we do that too. if guests cant read hebrew they read in english. and as soon as kids are able to, they get to read too. we just go around the table taking turns until were done.
my father likes it this way too now.

Chani

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:27 pm
Quote:
interesting ... once at someone elses seder only the head of the house washed for urchatz ... my son and I went to the kitchen quickly and washed too!!! we still think it is weird ... doesn't that defeat the purpose

I think that is a yekke thing - I saw it mentioned in the S.R. Hirsch Haggada...

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:34 pm
interesting but they are not yekke ... father thinks it's a convenient time-saver but as a lub ... certainly washed anyway ... and minhag is to wash hands before touching wet veggies which is karpas in saltz vasser ... although we use a fork anyway ... I guess ... whatever ... I am confused

Chani

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:42 pm
I just looked it up in the Hirsch Hagada:

"A washbasin is brought to the leader of the Seder who proceeds to wash his hands without reciting a berachah. In some communities, the one who brings the water also pours it over the leader's hands, and in many homes, all the participants of the Seder wash their hands too."

Also gets a mention in the Ohr Somayach Hagada.

I'll see if I can find out more since I'm kind of curious now!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:44 pm
yeah - I'd be curious if more people don't wash either except for head ... thanks ...

withhumor

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:45 pm
By urchatz we don’t wash, only the seder head.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 2:47 pm
very interesting ... I just don't feel comfortable not washing ... to me it would be no different than not washing for matza except for head ... and not saying brocha ... although I know that some rely on this and others do not

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 3:56 pm
That doesn't make sense. You have to wash for a "wet vegetable".

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 4:16 pm
We would all read the haggadah to ourselves....MaNishtanah, etc. would be said aloud by the children, and some other parts would be sung, but everyone read it aloud to themselves quietly...at the pace the baal habayis would set for discussion, etc.

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 6:00 pm
withhumor wrote:
By urchatz we don’t wash, only the seder head.

Wow I've never heard of that. Everyone in our house washes, the kids bring the water to us and we wash our hands. I just asked dh about that and he said that when he was single only the head used to wash. I guess like most things it is down to different peoples minhagim.

As for the original question, well I'am ashemed to say that I was totally exhausted and had hurt my back, so I started to read along, but as the night went on I went to lie down on the couch and kept falling asleep. The second night was different, we had all slept in the afternoon and we all read along and discussed the Haggadah.

Oh yes I was just looking up when Eruv Pesach is next year. Guess what day it is? SHABBOS!!!! That's great as when it comes to the first Sedre everyone will be refreshed!!!!! Wink

Ruchel

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 7:24 pm
I think I've never seen people washing or reciting except the head... and I've seen Polish, Greek/Spanish, Tunisian, Moroccan and Italian minhag... interesting!
Dh says he has seen people reciting other than the head, but never women.

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 7:42 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Dh says he has seen people reciting other than the head, but never women.

Well my dh does recite the Haggada but I read along quietly. But my children and I do say different things we have read or stories that we have heard. I was reading the Little Midrash Says Hasggada as dh was reciting the Haggada this year and when I came across something that I thought would interest the children and dh I said it. One idea that I read seemed brilliant and I tried it out. Basically I asked the children to close their eyes and said imagine that you are a slave in Mitzrayim for one day, for one week, for one month, one year, I discribed the scene, then I told the children to open their eyes. They gave a massive sign and laughted. It really brought it to them what it might have been liked. I would say it is deffently worth everyone buying one of those Little Midrash Says Haggadas they are fantastic!!!!

ny21

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 9:03 pm
do you recite the hagada too?

we do ! we take turns reading the hebrew
and the english
we sing alot of the songs
this year we had the seder at lubavitch family
they covered the all the wine that was poured in
a kiddush cup with a napkin .
I never have seen this done before/

withhumor

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 9:14 pm
We all say the hagadda, word for word, until the end. It’s torture in the middle of the night, but we do it. every year, nursing infants lol

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 10:39 pm
Before getting married, My Family's minhag was that all married men were brought Urchatz. Now we all wash though we bring water to the married men, all others are washed in the kitchen.

stem

Post Sat, Apr 07 2007, 11:17 pm
By us, the whole family says the entire hagada together, using a special tune that was brought from Europe more than 100 years ago. I love it.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 7:53 am
In my family we also all recited the haggadah together in Hebrew (and/or Aramaic depending on which part) with a special tune brought over from Europe...I wonder if it is similar.
Also, I just realized that in my family it must have been the tradition for only the men to recite the haggadah together.....however I was the first woman in the family to be able to read Hebrew fluently, so when I was younger and everyone was reading outloud I assumed I was supposed to read outloud as well. That's what you get from giving girls a good Jewish education! Thumbs Up

Mishie

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 8:49 am
I usually do, except this year I really wasn't feeling well, so, while everyone was reciting the Haggada, I was busy eating Chicken-Soup and Lukshin... embarrassed

However, I must say, I'm really proud of my 2 older boys (8.5 and 7) who were both sitting on either side of my DH, and recited the entire Maggid. Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics