Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Marshmallows
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 12:18 pm
http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-f......html

ingredients

Cooking oil spray
3 packages (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar

Directions

1. Line an 8" x 8" baking pan with plastic wrap and heavily spray with cooking spray.

2. Pour water in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and sprinkle the gelatin over.

3. While the gelatin is sitting, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute or until a candy thermometer reaches 240°F. Remove from heat. With the mixer on high, slowly pour the syrup into the gelatin. Add salt and beat on high for 12 minutes until the mixture is very thick, adding the vanilla extract in the last 10 seconds.

4. Spray a spatula with cooking oil spray. Working quickly, immediately pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press the mixture evenly into the pan with the spatula. Allow to set for at least 3 hours or overnight. Once the marshmallows have set and are firm, flipp the marshmallows onto a cutting board and discard the plastic wrap. With a knife, slice the marshmallows into 1" to 2" squares. Dust the marshmallows with the powdered sugar to prevent sticking and store in an airtight container or a food gift bag if giving as a gift. Store at room temperature for up to a week.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 12:38 pm
I've made fluff, not marshmallows, but it's hard to find corn syrup. When I do, I but tons of bottles. I'll have to keep this recipe in mind for when I do unless of course the jello I have will be used by then because that's also hard to come by.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 6:08 pm
Greenie, or anyone else, please do let me know if you actually made marshmallows with this recipe and if it came out ok. I'm hearing kosher gelatin has different bloom and doesn't set well to make fluffy marshmallow-ey consistency.

bamamama

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 6:11 pm
I've tried with several different brands of kosher gelatin. They are carageenan rather than actual gelatin and don't set up - just kinda makes gray sludge.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 6:17 pm
yeah somebody try it please ... or I'll let you know when I do ... maybe you need more kosher gel to the ratio if it's not as gelatinous

bamamama

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 6:20 pm
greenfire wrote:
yeah somebody try it please ... or I'll let you know when I do ... maybe you need more kosher gel to the ratio if it's not as gelatinous

Tried it. It's actually a problem with the way the carageenan sets up. It doesn't set as "hard" as non-kosher gelatin sets. This is why I've never seen kosher finger jello. It's a totally different product and behaves very differently. Same reason the texture of kosher and non-kosher marshmallows is different. I even tried once with agar-agar - same results. This is something you just need real bone gelatin for.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 6:42 pm
Bummer Sad

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 7:20 pm
bamamama wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Tried it. It's actually a problem with the way the carageenan sets up. It doesn't set as "hard" as non-kosher gelatin sets. This is why I've never seen kosher finger jello. It's a totally different product and behaves very differently. Same reason the texture of kosher and non-kosher marshmallows is different. I even tried once with agar-agar - same results. This is something you just need real bone gelatin for.

this precise recipe ???

if gefen could make them - why can't we Question

SorGold

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 7:38 pm
You can make homemmade marshmallows using kosher gelatin from cows that's parve. It gels perfctly.
Kolatin makes an unflavored but it runs about 4-5 $ for 1/4 oz so this recipe would end up quite expensive.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 7:47 pm
SorGold wrote:
You can make homemmade marshmallows using kosher gelatin from cows that's parve. It gels perfctly.
Kolatin makes an unflavored but it runs about 4-5 $ for 1/4 oz so this recipe would end up quite expensive.

many people would not use the cows gelatin regardless of the process ...

SorGold

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 7:52 pm
They are made from glatt kosher cows. Why wouldn't you use? The ou and many american kashrus agencies accept it as parve (or be stringent and say its fleishig). The kolatin gelatin is in sooo many kosher candies. Do you not eat those?

yogabird

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 8:59 pm
I'm pretty sure I've seen kosher fish gelatin sold here in Brooklyn as well as in Israel.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 11:14 pm
I didn't use this recipe, but on Chanukah I posted about my marshmallow recipe flopping bec of the kosher gelatin not setting up right. I don't want to use the bone gelatin bec marshmallows need a stand mixer and I'm not making mine fleshig. Not e/o agrees with the OU that kolatin is parve. I don't know if fish gelatin would work, and I've never seen any. What brand is it?

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 11:45 pm
SorGold wrote:
They are made from glatt kosher cows. Why wouldn't you use? The ou and many american kashrus agencies accept it as parve (or be stringent and say its fleishig). The kolatin gelatin is in sooo many kosher candies. Do you not eat those?

you would be right in the kosher ... but my brain was thinking of the many yogurts that they use similar 'kosher' gelatin ... and it is in this instance people wouldn't use it ...

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 11:55 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I didn't use this recipe, but on Chanukah I posted about my marshmallow recipe flopping bec of the kosher gelatin not setting up right. I don't want to use the bone gelatin bec marshmallows need a stand mixer and I'm not making mine fleshig. Not e/o agrees with the OU that kolatin is parve. I don't know if fish gelatin would work, and I've never seen any. What brand is it?

guess I missed that ... now I see the issues - we gotta find a solution ...

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 12:35 am
gefen uses fish gelatin ...

bamamama

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 1:31 am
She has pictures. It must work. http://www.inhabitots.com/how-.....lows/

We get agar agar at the health food store. Prob Whole Foods would have it if you have one of those. Eden makes it and it is Star-K or Circle-K - can't remember exactly and we don't have any right this minute.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 1:49 am
Kosher fish gelatin:

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Gel.....FHNHW
http://www.norlandprod.com/fis......html
http://www.rocklandkosher.com/......aspx

there's another brand named Aquagel, but I couldn't find much info on it (just a lot of chemicals for fish tanks, LOL.)

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:23 am
greenfire wrote:
SorGold wrote:

you would be right in the kosher ... but my brain was thinking of the many yogurts that they use similar 'kosher' gelatin ... and it is in this instance people wouldn't use it ...

Don't you eat parmesan and other hard cheese? Not all kosher cheese is made with vegeterian/microbial rennet, you know? What's the difference between animal rennet and bovine gelatine in your opinion?

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:28 am
I made marshmallows for shlach manos last year. The recipe had raw egg whites folded into it too. I used the unflavored Israeli gelatin. Not sure what it's made from.

Salmonella risk, check. Delicious, check.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics