Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Flu vaccine, for those who do give shots
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:11 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I took it last year. I'd rather be sick for a day with a flu shot than end up sick for weeks and end up with bronchitis or pneumonia ch"v. Once you've had the flu badly, you'll never want to experience it again.
Haven't had it yet this year as my insurance switched and we need a new doctor.

Hatzlacha staying healthy! I know what it feels like (((HUGS)))

I got the flu very bad during swine flu season (I was not tested, but it may have been that). I was pregnant. I took elderberry, vitamin C, and other home remedies and survived. My immune system B"H is pretty strong and I'd rather keep it that way vs weakening it by purposely putting an unnecessary vaccine in my body. That is my personal decision.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:18 pm
PAMOM wrote:
This year's flu vaccine is 80-85% effective.

I am not finding these stats online anywhere, including CDC's site....could you please direct me? Thanks!

Last year, overall effectiveness was 56%, BTW.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:31 pm
Ok, I think you may be referring to the success at matching prevalent strains this year. They do not have statistics this early on in the season at the effectiveness of the vaccine itself.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 3:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I took it last year. I'd rather be sick for a day with a flu shot than end up sick for weeks and end up with bronchitis or pneumonia ch"v. Once you've had the flu badly, you'll never want to experience it again.

You don't need to go to the doctor. Most chain pharmacies (rite aid, Walgreen's, target etc) offer it, $20-$30 without insurance, free with. We always get pour shots at the pharmacy.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 3:55 pm
morah wrote:
ectomorph wrote:

You don't need to go to the doctor. Most chain pharmacies (rite aid, Walgreen's, target etc) offer it, $20-$30 without insurance, free with. We always get pour shots at the pharmacy.

Not all insurances will pay for it at a pharmacy. I used to get the flu shot at Target, which was great. I would order it at the pharmacy, go do my shopping, and come back when it was ready. No waiting.

Now because of new insurance I have to schlep to my primary care physician's office. Thankfully I don't have to wait to see the doctor though.

chanee

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 4:29 pm
farm wrote:
Are you related to chanees?
Did you start this thread to stir up trouble?

why do you think so? Are those vaccines prepared in your farm? I'm sure not trying to mess up your income. According to answers seems like most do get the flu shot

groovy1224

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 5:12 pm
smss wrote:
amother wrote:

This year Im pregnant so I got the shot too.

just want to point out that the flu shot has not been tested for safety in pregnant women.

Nothing's been tested for safety in pregnant women.. Medical research is not done on pregnant women. Medical research has been done on the flu though, and the results are in. You don't want it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 5:29 pm
No, you don't want the flu. But that does not necessarily make getting the vaccine a slam dunk conclusion.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 6:56 pm
Look at WebMD. They explain the range of findings from the CDC. Efficacy depends on the age group.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:44 pm
I'm on WebMD. I can't find it. Do you have a link? I'm surprised they can possibly have the efficacy rates from the CDC when the CDC themselves don't have the data this early on in the season.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 8:55 pm
deena19k wrote:
Anyone know if you can get the vaccine if you have an egg allergy? Here in Israel, they say not to, but I heard in America it's not a problem?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal.....02033

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/profess.....y.htm

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:03 pm
Like others said I would rather be sick one day from the flu shot than sick with flu.
I had a mild case of flu several times (think fever, nausea, cold, cough, severe muscle ache) and that was only 4 days in bed and a good week of weakness and healing.
Real flu can be a good 10days IN BED!

Bh I never had a reaction to it and neither did ds. Dh did one year he had fever for a day but then he was fine the rest of the winter.

At the end of the day it is your decision but if you have ever suffered from real flu (not just a bad cold) either a mild or severe case, you will probably do anything to prevent it coming so bad again.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 10:57 pm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22423139 -- 4x greater risk of non-flu respiratory infections in kids who got the vaccine (inactive trivalent shot) than kids who got the placebo

http://www.plosmedicine.org/ar.....00258 -- 1.5-2.5x more susceptible to getting the H1N1 illness after receiving the vaccine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20614424 -- lack of efficacy in vaccine, main benefit is in helping people return to work quicker if they get the flu, but does not help with the complications that people fear. It still has risks, including GBS which is not something I'd wish on anyone

I think for the most part excluding those who do not vaccinate from this discussion has resulted in postings supporting blindly following the mainstream protocol. It's those who think twice about vaccination in general who usually have spent time researching each vaccine and disease. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with trusting your doctor, but the whole discussion is completely skewed since it seems like most people here have not actually looked into it. I can see why someone would choose to vaccinate in general. I cannot see why someone who has looked into this particular vaccine would automatically assume it's the best way to prevent illness.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 12:14 am
I'm on the fence too.
I vaccinated my preschooler because they wouldn't let him come to school without it, but haven't given it to the rest of the family... yet.
I'm considering giving to one other child as he tends to asthmatic cough.
And I was considering it for myself, as am TTC, and wouldn't want the flu while pregnant.

Specify to the doctor that you want a single dose shot, without a mercury based preservative.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 1:06 am
I give all the vaccines and I am totally in FAVOR of them. However, there are some researches,although not conclusive, connecting the flu vaccine with guilan-barret syndrome. The doctors in my family, even though they do not tell others not to take it, they do not take the flu vaccine themselves and niether do we.

chaiz

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 3:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22423139 -- 4x greater risk of non-flu respiratory infections in kids who got the vaccine (inactive trivalent shot) than kids who got the placebo

http://www.plosmedicine.org/ar.....00258 -- 1.5-2.5x more susceptible to getting the H1N1 illness after receiving the vaccine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20614424 -- lack of efficacy in vaccine, main benefit is in helping people return to work quicker if they get the flu, but does not help with the complications that people fear. It still has risks, including GBS which is not something I'd wish on anyone

I think for the most part excluding those who do not vaccinate from this discussion has resulted in postings supporting blindly following the mainstream protocol.

It is offensive to state that those who vaccinate follow blindly mainstream protocol, while those who don't are the real thinkers and researchers. It makes sense to only discuss this with people who vaccinate. Those who do not vaccinate will not add to this discussion about the particular vaccination. They will just redirect it with their beliefs and ideology, which so many of them follow blindly. Just because someone does not vaccinate does not mean he did tons of research and someone who does vaccinate is just following blindly.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 3:51 am
Quote:
It's like anything else. If you don't want your kids to suffer with the flu, give the vaccine. I do. Smile I already had kids suffer with H1N1.

I would rather get the flu and even the horrible 3 months of post viral fatigue which I had then Guillain-Barre syndrome which is a temporary paralysis. I know someone who had it from a flu shot - never recovered and eventually passed away due to the Guillain barre syndrome. The flu is one week of being sick in bed - Guillian Barre disabled this person for years, was not able to take care of himself and was in and out of ICU many times.

Edited to add - I would give the flu shot to someone who has in decreased immune system but not to your average healthy adult child or even pregnant lady.

sleepless mom

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:08 am
I didn't give the fly shot and last year my kids got it but one child suffered half a year then one day she couldn't walk with one foot the Dr said that it's a sign that the flu is leaving his body and it did so this year all my kids got the shot

deena19k

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:12 am
sleepless mom wrote:
I didn't give the fly shot and last year my kids got it but one child suffered half a year then one day she couldn't walk with one foot the Dr said that it's a sign that the flu is leaving his body and it did so this year all my kids got the shot

What? She couldn't walk with one of her feet because the flu was leaving her body? What?

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 8:53 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
ectomorph wrote:

Hatzlacha staying healthy! I know what it feels like (((HUGS)))

I got the flu very bad during swine flu season (I was not tested, but it may have been that). I was pregnant. I took elderberry, vitamin C, and other home remedies and survived. My immune system B"H is pretty strong and I'd rather keep it that way vs weakening it by purposely putting an unnecessary vaccine in my body. That is my personal decision.

Amen! that mush have been scary.

Morahmom: Yea we're thinking about that.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics