Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Tahdig-- HELP!!

wispalover

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 2:45 pm
Been trying so hard to get this right- bought persian rice followed the "persian food from non persian bride" to the letter but the rice keeps burning instead of going golden and crunchy! I get a similar result to what I assume is tahdig if I make oven-baked rice but just once I would like it to come out correctly. Is it because I am only using one cup of rice and letting it cook too long maybe? Any tips on a small quantity of persian tahdig?

wispalover

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 2:46 pm
Is this recipe any good?

http://turmericsaffron.blogspo......html

invisiblecircus

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 4:50 pm
Are you using a thick-bottomed non.stick pan? I have a smaller pan which is thinner on the bottom which I've tried using when I've wanted a smaller portion and it's no good because it just burns, even on my smallest ring with the smallest flame.

wispalover

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 5:07 pm
invisiblecircus wrote:
Are you using a thick-bottomed non.stick pan? I have a smaller pan which is thinner on the bottom which I've tried using when I've wanted a smaller portion and it's no good because it just burns, even on my smallest ring with the smallest flame.

I did not realise the pan needed to be thick bottomed. I use medium thickness, I will use a super heavy duty one for shabbat be'h.

chani4

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 5:15 pm
Add more oil and make sure the oil is super hot before pouring the rice

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 6:08 pm
Also are you sure you're using very very low flame? If the bottom of the pot burns, it's either you're not using thick-bottomed pot or the flame is too high. FYI, I cook rice normally (but sautee onions first with 1/2 tablespoon extra oil), leave them on a plata and the bottom comes perfectly golden brown for Shabbat lunch.

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Nov 07 2013, 12:29 pm
chani4 wrote:
Add more oil and make sure the oil is super hot before pouring the rice

It's important to have enough oil but I never heat it up first and it always comes out fine!

I do put the whole thing on full heat before turning it down to minimum though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics