Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Who needs designer labels
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 9:54 pm
I would much prefer something with my own name on it rather than a stranger's name - even if they claim to be a designer ... why to people spend so much for a name ???

always seems like an unreasonable waste of good monies ...

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:00 pm
greenfire wrote:
I would much prefer something with my own name on it rather than a stranger's name - even if they claim to be a designer ... why to people spend so much for a name ???

Not everyone is blessed with your self esteem Wink

(No, I am not saying that everyone with a designer something lacks in self esteem, don't jump on me.)

Barbara

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:31 pm
Well, everything is designed by someone ... from the Hermes Birkin bag to the Old Navy flag tee shirt.

For me, I just happen to like the styles of certain designers. They may create designs that I find attractive. Or it may just be cut in a way that makes me look younger, prettier and thinner, and feel comfortable. I can think of one line of dresses that's as comfortable on me as sweats, and makes me look great. Why wouldn't I look for that label?

There may also be a matter of quality.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't always look at, or care about, quality. For trendy goods, I go for the cheapest thing that looks good Sure, it will fall apart in a year or two. But by then, I won't want to wear it anyway.

But let's take Coach, back in the day. I remember wanting a particular Coach wallet very badly. A checkbook style wallet. It cost a lot of money -- close to $200, if I recall. I waited. And waited. It hit the outlet. Then, at last, it was on clearance at the outlet, for about $80 or so. I bought it, in about 1993 or 1994, and have used it almost every day since. It has some teeth marks from DS teething on it, and the zipper change compartment is starting to tear a little, but it is otherwise in rather amazing condition for a 20 year old wallet. Now, if you're the type to want to change wallets every year or so, it would not be worth it. But for me? It was a great purchase, with the price down to about a penny a day of use.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:38 pm
I'm with barbara re: buying things that are great quality.

I also, cough cough, go to the thrift stores I admonished in an earlier post. otherwise I could be able to afford about two shirts a year. so my clothes have labels, if it matters.

some designers have clothing that's made very shoddily--eileen fisher, for example. I sew, and the seams inside are lousy and cheap. yes other companies (liz claiborne, and all its subsidiaries, are made exceptionally well. but you need to check. I've had ann taylor clothes literally break apart while I was wearing them.)

joy613

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 10:49 pm
Barbara and vintage, I believe you buy it for the quality but there are many people who buy designer items just for the label. Really. I know them.

I've spoken to someone about it, and she said it just made her feel good wearing a garment with a designer label showing. I guess it's like a status symbol.

No matter how great and sturdy a Hermes birkin is, people are not spending that much (much!) money for its quality. It's mainly for the name.

This is not to sound judgmental. If someone can afford it, I guess why not get it.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 11:08 pm
I am not saying I won't buy a designer label if it is in the cheap stores like TjMaxx or Century but not because it is designer more because I like it or not!

I totally agree with you greenfire I have better things to spend my money on than Mr Dolce and Mr Gabbanas name on my tshirt!

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 11:21 pm
greenfire wrote:

They don't just claim to be designers. They are designers.

Some people feel elevated in status when wearing designer labels. It's like they've accomplished something great in life. Others grew up wearing designer labels and it's not something they put much thought into--just something that they do. And there are also those who have fun shopping and enjoy buying nice, expensive items.

Some designer clothing really are better quality and will last longer. Others are **** and are not worth an extra cent. What I find ridiculous is when people buy knock-off designer items. Not only is it ridiculous to wear a piece of garbage with an imitation designer label on it, it's far from impressive and it often looks quite hideous. If I can't afford the real thing, I don't want a knock-off. It would make me feel cheap and I'd be embarrassed of myself, because I would be telling myself that I care about the label more than the quality. (And this is without touching the illegal and unethical aspects of designer knock-offs.)
You can buy designer items in Department stores on sale, so not everybody pays the full price for everything they wear. Or they shop at outlets (at which the designer snobs wouldn't dare taint their image by walking into).

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 01 2013, 11:42 pm
Personally, I think that things with blatant designer logos are tacky and "desperate for attention" looking.

Like Barbara, I will buy something designer if the quality is outstanding, and the price is in my budget.

http://stores.ebay.com/Lindas-Stuff
http://www.shoplindasstuff.com.....llery

This seller has gorgeous designer labels at a fraction of the original prices. Many have the original sales tags, or have only been worn once. Her customer service is amazing, and most of the clothing is very tznius and flattering.

I love them so much, I even have a wish list on my Pinterest board.

http://pinterest.com/rivkasmom.....da-s/

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 12:28 am
believe me - I like nice clothes - I recall a pink silk escada jacket that made me feel beautiful ... but I bought it because I liked it & it went fabulous alongside a grey dress - not because it had a name [not to mention the pink & grey shoes]

that was back in the day when I had nothing better to spend monies on ... but I'd rather be in my grungy denim skirt with any ole t-shirt on

quality is important and I think it's worth more than some cheaply made item - designer name or not ... I still think that too many people value a name rather than the product and that is where it gets overkill

'money talks - but it don't sing & it don't dance & it can't walk ... I'd much rather be forever in faded blue jeans' Music

Merrymom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 1:00 am
I buy designer clothing for my kids on Ebay. There's just something about the way that it's made, you can tell a mile away that's it's made very well. I would never pay designer prices though, no matter how much money I had. I'm a cheapskate at heart just because I feel like a fool for paying so much, like they're laughing all the way to the bank.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:11 am
Merrymom do you buy used or brand new? Also how do you know that it's not knockoffs?

Merrymom

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Merrymom do you buy used or brand new? Also how do you know that it's not knockoffs?

Used. You can literally see the quality of designer clothing, it's so well made in style and material. If a knock off could do that I'd happily buy that too.

mandr

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 11:57 am
I like buying designer clothing (not the high-end stuff, but the ones priced within my budget). Why? Because I like how they fit. Compare a polo from Lacoste to one from Target. The Lacoste one will probably fit nicer because they're slim, the sleeves are just the right length, everything looks good. The Target one would make me look busty instead of slim, and the sleeves are often too long (and I have long hands). Also, the Lacoste one survives many washes and even if it goes in the dryer on low, the damage won't be too bad. The Target one will definitely shrink in the dryer and or stretch out in the washer. It won't look the same next year. I have a closet full of polos I wore when I was in camp. The surviving brands are Lacoste, Ralph and Tommy. The Target ones I got are non-existent. But I'll be honest - I don't only buy them because of quality. I like designers too!

EstyGold

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 2:54 pm
The main advantage of buying designer's clothing is that if we do, we use them.

There are brands and brands.

A good brand will offer an excellent fit, better fabric (not fiber content, but the fabric per se, like those nike polos that even if made of polyester, it received such a treatment that is fresher and more efficient to heat than cotton... or what to say about organic fabrics? organic cotton is way more expensive than regular cotton... and 1 yard of organic pima cotton, the best cotton that exists, is a small fortune already...), sewing construction, quality of notions and the most important: where it was made.

While Bangladesh semi-slaves receive $38 THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS) per MONTH for excruciating hard work in the worst conditions imaginable and with their lives at risk (children receive less), clothes made in USA have that "piece of mind" invisible label on it. Human rights, salary and work conditions respond to American law.

$38.00 per month X $11.00 per hour (general sewing wage in North America)

There's way more to designer labels than the money charged, at least to those that produce in America or other countries that offer respectable working conditions. Not that 100% of Made in USA is righteous, but respectful designers will hire good sewing contractors or face the court. Not to mention that the customer service of designer label must be impeccable, if not, they are faded to shut the doors eventually.

And I will not even start talking about fabric manufacturing... Chinese and European fabric manufacturers have different production standards, and consequently, different prices.

However, many famous brand-names still produce overseas... which is a shame because for what they charge, they have the moral obligation of producing locally.

Happy18

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 3:31 pm
For the sake of this thread how are we defining designer? Some of the brands mentioned are considered more expensive but I wouldn't necessarily consider them designer.

Cookies n Cream

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 3:56 pm
Happy18 wrote:
For the sake of this thread how are we defining designer? Some of the brands mentioned are considered more expensive but I wouldn't necessarily consider them designer.

This!

EstyGold

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:19 pm
I believe this thread is about famous fashion houses, named after their creators or corporate names.

Happy18

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:24 pm
EstyGold wrote:
I believe this thread is about famous fashion houses, named after their creators or corporate names.

Ok but I don't necessarily consider Ann taylor, liz claiborne to be designer. Chanel, Prada, Kate Spade and similar are what I would consider designer. Lacoste is more expensive but not necessarily designer.

EstyGold

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:50 pm
I know what you mean... designer houses that produce mid-high (Kate Spade), high-end (Prada) or couture (Channel) clothing... well... it goes back to the good fabric, where the garments are made, work conditions offered, fit, sewing construction ... just like a big chain...

Going back to the question "who needs designer labels"? Actually, nobody exactly needs... (although big lawyers and other professionals really need to dress to impress otherwise they might lose customers) but for most of us, we just want it.

Whether for quality or vanity... a dress with a perfect fit made of a great fabric can take off 20 years and 10 pounds from a woman...

(just a bit off topic since you mentioned the name... did you know that ann taylor was just the name of a best selling dress?)

Happy18

Post Fri, Aug 02 2013, 4:55 pm
Thats cool which dress? Only mentioned Ann Taylor because of its earlier mention in this thread.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics