Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Iron burn :(
1  2  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:11 pm
My 2 1/2 year old touched a hot iron...we put it under cold water. he's feeling better now, coloring...but I think it's becoming blisters.
he just started crying it's hurting again. Sad holding wet towel on it...

any advice?

su7kids

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:14 pm
ice. Cold running water.

Mishie

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:29 pm
I highly recommend: Silvedine cream.

If it looks bad, I would have a Dr. look at it. It may be a higher degree burn and need special care.

Kisses to your baby!!
I hope he feels better soon!!

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:33 pm
When my dd burnt herself - the doctors cleaned it put tons bacitracin on it and wrapped it up. Bandages were changed every single day with same procedure.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:35 pm
Yes, you need to keep it under care, so that it doesn't get infected, and heals nicely, and doesn't affect use of the hand. My son had a burn on his knee and foot at eight months. for a while, we took him daily to the doctor, and had to rub the skin in a special way Sad , apply silvadene, and wrap it carefully with a special flexible gauze bandage.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:41 pm
if it doesn't heal, the dr will have to drain it and that's no fun. def try to avoid that with the silver cream.

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:49 pm
CHECK WITH A DR BEFORE YOU USE SILVADINE!

I once got burnt when getting a waxing Rolling Eyes ; my dr told me NOT to use silvadine because it will leave a scar. she said use bacitracin.

queen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 4:04 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
CHECK WITH A DR BEFORE YOU USE SILVADINE!

I once got burnt when getting a waxing Rolling Eyes ; my dr told me NOT to use silvadine because it will leave a scar. she said use bacitracin.

hu?

My daughter recently stuck her fingers in a hot cup of tea and the doctor said- if it begins blistering- than he wants to see her.
Ended up being 2nd degree burn. (I believe blistering is what brings it to 2nd degree)

I'd speak to doctor first thing Mon morning.
The burn was bad, but bH now after 2 weeks she's basically back to normal. We even had her inspected by a plastic surgeon to make sure fingers would heal nicely and use of her hand wouldn't be effected.

We were told to wash her hand with soap 4 times a day, and rewrap hand with silvadine cream/gauge after each washing. Cream prevents infection. but cream only stays potent for about 6 hours after it is applied.

Refuah Shelaima!
Your child should only feel the pain today, tomorrow should be better pain wise- but do speak with doctor as finger/hand began blistering.

micki

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 4:05 pm
right away put aloe vera on it!!! it can either be found in a gel form in the health food store or the like, or you can use the fresh plant. just slice open the leaves,a nd squeeze the gel onto the burn.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 4:58 pm
B"H he doesn't seem to be in much pain right now, though every so often he asks for the wet towel.
Thanks to you all for all your responses!
Dr. called back and said silvadene...we have none and the pharmacy nearby is out, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow... Should I wrap my 2 year olds hand in a gauze or something if he's not complaining? I don't know if he'll let or keep it on.
(PS the dr. will probably see it tomorrow b/c I plan on bringing him in anyway for a fever he's had a few days!)

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:01 pm
I have silvadine cream if u want to come get it; I would meet u half way but dh is out and baby is sleeping.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:04 pm
would you mind lending a little, Twizzlers? I'll PM you. Thanks a ton!
ps how should I wrap his hand with it??

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:12 pm
gauze and then an ace bandage to keep in place - use a lot of the cream.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:43 pm
ALSO tylenol or advil as a pain reliever. poore baby, one of my kids did that too!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:05 pm
he refused to keep the bandage and medicine on! argh! oh well - I tried!
thanks again, Twizzlers!
maybe the dr. will get to bandage it up tomorrow.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:18 pm
The dr told us to even keep it in the house . . . . maybe now they know more than they did years back . .

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 7:02 pm
I'm sure it's a good idea to have in the house...but it's by prescription, so B"H we never needed it before. (don't worry, I'm normal, I've had burns, but nothing serious B"H)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 7:04 pm
I guess it's a Catch 22 - you need it prescribed, and it DOES expire...but the few burns we've had, weren't bad, but got infected later on.

queen

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 12:16 pm
shouldn't be a next time.... but I kept a (child's) sock over the gauge/cream to keep it on..... (even tapes sock around wrist lightly that shouldn't come off)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 26 2007, 5:15 pm
can you really force a 2 1/2 year old?
the burn looks really ugly today. basically, he has a blister on 4/5 fingers. one burst already.
dr. said it should heal even if he takes the meds off. so I'll try to put some on when he goes to bed and hope it doesn't get infected.
thanks for all your advice!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics