Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Washing Sheitels

How do you wash your sheitel
Wash it myself  
 40%  [ 9 ]
Send it to Sheitel macher or hairdresser  
 59%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 22

curlyhead

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 8:04 am
Some of my friends have started washing theri own sheitels to save money. I want to try it but I'm scared I'll mess it up. Just wondering if anyone out there washs their sheitel themselves and any tips.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 6:18 pm
rivky. I know some women can do it. I however was really nervous to, and I so shouldn't of in the end. I ruined it! I had a to buy a new one and was so upset. My friend suggested next time I want to try to wash mine I should watch my shaytel macher while she washes it and get tips. It gets expensive to send it all the way to ny all the time.
Sara

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 7:52 pm
I sometimes wash mine myself.

Last edited by gryp on Tue, Mar 15 2005, 5:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 11:45 am
My friend showed me how to wash my own sheitel. I like it because I then style it the way I want it. Also we save $$$$. Sara How did you ruin your sheitel?

zuncompany

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 12:19 pm
The lines of hair were coming loose and some of where they were sewed to were coming apart and the lines couldn't be sewn back on. I don't know much more than that. the shaytel macher who I went to just to get a wash showed me how it was coming apart, etc... B"H I found her. I had noticed something was up with it.

Sara

Yael

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 12:45 pm
I used to wash it myself, but it never came out as good. so now I send it to the shaitel macher, and it comes back all soft and silky that I could never have done on my own. it expensive but I dont wash it so often maybe every 3-4 months. plus I dont have the time to wash it myself.
also it was very frustrating to blowdry the shaitel when its constantly falling all over the place. the head wouldnt stay put. I would tape it, stick it on the vaccum, but it never stayed. so I gave up.

gryp

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 1:07 pm
hey Yael, I didnt know this but my friend told me, you buy a sheitel clamp and stick the sheitel foam head on it, it holds the sheitel in place.

deedee

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 3:29 pm
when I got married I got a custom sheitel. I ordered it with a wave in it so I could wash it myself. it comes out pretty nice, I just let it air dry and its all wavy. when I need it for a simcha my sis blows it straight. I'm lucky cause she does sheitels.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Oct 03 2004, 1:43 am
sara - one of my sheitel's teh netting is also falling apart and I'm loosing hair because I got I sheitel macher to make it bigger so it could cover my peyos. I just sew the netting everytime it falls apart. I should get more hair added.
Did you get rid of your sheitel?

zuncompany

Post Mon, Oct 04 2004, 10:22 am
I still have it. It is sitting on my dresser. She tried sewing it back on. the netting is just to to bad of shape to even do that. plus the hair is just well... yucky compared to my new one.
Sara

Chanie

Post Mon, Oct 04 2004, 3:37 pm
A couple of times I washed my own shaeitel, and it always comes out fine, but to me the money I spend at the sheitel macher every 1-2 months is well worth it. With so much to do in the house, how is it justified to spend the time sitting doing a sheitel. For me the money is worth the time saved.
One of my sheitels is wavy and the sheitel macher whom I bought it from actually once left it dry naturally so I can see how easy it was to do it w/o blowing. It looked okay, but I prefer the straight, so it goes to the sheitel macher regardless.

Rivka

Post Mon, Nov 01 2004, 5:13 pm
I give it to my friend to wash and blow dry and she does a great job and it costs me £10.
Worst mistake I did was go to the hairdressers and have it blown on my head, it comes out really great but tends to get burnt more easily.
Also I found that my sheitel is much lighter than it used to be and the hair is getting damaged, I guess that is what happens after a few years.
I only get my sheitel done every 3 months so the money I spend is hardly anything and think of it it's instead of getting your hair done.

proudmom

Post Mon, Nov 01 2004, 5:38 pm
I hardly wear my sheitle. I wear a hat most of the time. If I go out on shabbos then I wear my sheitle or to a wedding. otherwise I like to be comfortable so I wear a hat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels