Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What kind of candlesticks/ candleholders do you use?
1  2  Next

roza

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:27 pm
If you don't mind sharing? Question
I/We want to buy new ones, does everyone have only silver? Are there any other options? (silver has to be polished, you know...)

TIA

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:33 pm
I found in the flea market a 5 branch candle stick made out of wood and metal. I bought it, but needed more. I found another one of them at another flea market. and thats what I use-cuz its what I like.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:41 pm
I have a silver candelabra & 2 silver candlestix

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:45 pm
My leichter are old fashioned, traditional silver, with filigrees and carved designs that...don't match! As an added bonus, they are the same design that the Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka had, (without the mistakes, different engraving).

I also have my grandmothers very simple brass candlesticks. I use them because she was such a tzidkonis, and it reminds me of her. I wish I could have just a bit of her purity, faith and love of Hashem reflected especially in the way she would bring in the Shabbos, with those very candlesticks. She would bentsch licht fifteen minutes earlier than the calendar time.

Oh, and she is the one who learned Tz'enaU'Re'ena constantly, the inspiration behind my screenname. Wink

Last edited by TzenaRena on Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:47 pm
I have two large silver candlesticks that I've been using since we got married. I also have a silver candlelabra for 5 children and a single candlestick that matches the candlelabra for the 6th child.

mumoo

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 10:17 pm
I have two sterling (maybe even plated) and two 3-candle holders. silvery stainless, very fancy with floral 'carved' detail-got those two at a garage sale

I use candles. I tried the glass cups, too expensive for us, tho

Squash

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 12:51 am
On Chanuka, we decided that we love how the olive oil looks and burns. So since then we light all oil every week. It is beautiful. It took us a few weeks to figure out which wicks/cups work for us, but every shabbos we just really enjoy it. There are people who light all oil beshita.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 1:36 am
I collect them. For my bat mitzvah my parents gave me a pair of silver plated low candlesticks. Like these:

When I came to Israel the first time I realized I hadn't brought my candlesticks with me. So I bought another pair (identical), as well as a set at Zippori (olive wood), and another small set that I took back and gave my sister for her bat mitzvah. When I came on another visit I bought a small handpainted pair (the kind that take tealight candles) at Yad L'Kashish.

When we got married my uncle (and aunt, technically) gave me a beautiful pair of laser-prism engraved candlesticks (exactly like these, but without the frosted look):

A friend also gave me a pair of crystal-look candlesticks for our wedding.

I use the lasered ones every Shabbat, with one of my bat mitzvah ones added for my son. I use my Zippori olive wood ones for Yom Tov, and the "crystal" ones for Pesach. One of the ones from Yad L'Kashish broke when we moved, but I usually keep those at my ILs because I like to use my own candlesticks.

Other than the Yad L'Kashish ones which take tealights, I use the neriot-type candles (the ones in the small glass) year round.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:08 am
When we moved into our home a few years ago my DH bought me a beautiful pewter candalabra that I saw and fell in love with.

binah918

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:20 am
Nothing special, no story to them...just a beautiful pair from HaTzorfim bought 1.5 y ago when I got married.

challi

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 8:21 am
silver, silver,silver. They all are the same pattern just in different sizes. I got large silver candlesticks when I got married and small ones too. (it was amazing when we realized that although diff ppl bought them they were all from the same company and same exact pattern) DH really likes the silver so he polishes them kind of like a hobby I suppose. Good thing too since its one of my least favorite things to do.

Everyone where I live has a lot of silver jewish objects, it's just what ppl do here. Silver is given during the engagement, for the wedding, the birth of a child, bar mitzvah, etc... I'd love something a little more colourful, but we'll see once I run out of silver candlesticks maybe I'll get my wish

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 2:17 pm
marion-I like the way you do it best.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:23 pm
shanie5 wrote:
marion-I like the way you do it best.
Thanks. Some people collect purses, shoes, or clothes; I like my candlesticks.

timeout

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:30 pm
I have 2 large silver candlesticks that my DH's aunt got me before I got married and then my DH got 2 additional for my anniversary.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:32 pm
DH and I chose a beautiful set of tall silver candlesticks in BP when we were engaged and a matching tray (that I dont use Confused ).

At the time it was a big expense and we were both broke, but now I cherish them and I am happy to have such beautiful leichter to fulfil the mitzvah with.
Smile
I use a tealight for the 3rd candle since DD was born, but looking for a smaller version of my candlesticks to buy one day.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:33 pm
Try Lenox.

My mother has them - she hated the silver ones- too much polishing!!

As for me, I love my silver ones.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:35 pm
Check these lenox ones out

http://keyword.netscape.com/ns.....Dcand

amother

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:36 pm
When you try the link above- the second page has these-

model# 408888A

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 3:41 pm
I had my silver candlesticks dipped so I don't have to polish them.

roza

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 4:05 pm
Thanks for the ideas, ladies! All the pictures and links posted are great.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note