Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
A Day in the Life...of Choc. Moose!
  1  2  3  36  37  38  Next

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:33 am
I happen to really like Ralph Lauren's perfume Romance. But, in general, I try samples of perfume (like free in magazines) and then look for them cheaply (used) on Ebay.

Well - it's getting harder and harder to get a bargain on ebay!

DH happened to have a gift card from Macy's - his coworker gives them to him each year - and he's just not a shopper. He likes what he has, and just doesn't want to buy anything there.

He put two years of gift cards together and after a few trips, finally got two pairs of shoes. P.S. Macy's is not necessarily any bargains - some shoes are upwards of $100 and $200 there!

So - he's also not that good about sharing his gift cards, but they don't last forever.

Anyway, I had been having a hard time getting my beloved perfume on ebay; I didn't want to bid too much (and didn't know the price of it new, really). And I knew they had it at Macy's!

So - he gave me what was left on the card, I popped into Macy's, and asked for it at that counter.

I had no idea what would happen then - that three people would surround me, pack me up goody after free goody, sample after sample, with fancy wrap, tissue paper, OU-D chocolates, offer me a bath set for free - even some small sized travel perfume - even engraving my name free on the glass bottle!

And for only two dollars more than on ebay. And no shipping. Go figure!

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:43 am
That's so much fun!
In a drugstore near me, I collect points and put them towards a perfume purchase - they have all the nicer perfumes there!

goldrose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 12:45 pm
how many diff types of perfume toyou have? dont u find that they last forever? I BARELY buy new perfume, they just dont seem to run out! Maybe it's because to start with I buy a large size?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 12:55 pm
as I said I only buy the used ones, so no, they don't last forever......

southernbubby

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:05 pm
What I do about perfume is very bubbyish! When my younger daughter went to seminary and she loves cosmetics, I went to every perfume counter in the mall and asked for samples. Soon I had a real variety of all kinds of cosmetic samples that I sent my daughter! Every few months I did that and she loved getting those packages. I told the cosmetic clerks the truth as to why I wanted the samples so that they wouldn't be misled and think that I was buying. They were happy to accomodate me. The scents that were for older ladies she gave back to me so now I have a stash of perfume.

goldrose

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:08 pm
southernbubby, good idea. those things work well out of new york!

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:21 pm
I don't get enough points that often but I like the fancy hand lotions - like the CK ones, J'adore, etc - that's usually what I get.

queen

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 1:40 pm
sara- isn't it a great feeling???
That's why I LOVE shopping at Nordstroms.... you get treated like a queen Smile and it's just super clean, super nice and refreshing.

realistically speaking however I don't get there much. Firstly- I dislike shopping * , and secondly it IS significantly more expensive.

* don't worry, I AM female.... this in not a male lurking around LOL

imaamy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2006, 12:50 am
In regards to mommyabc123's post--there is a store here where you can try on everything. They have a sample of every eye shadow, perfume, lipstick, etc. I have spent hours! Well they have one of the frequent shopper programs. I only attained the lowest level, having spent under $50 the whole year. So my choices were cotton balls, lotion or eye pencil, etc. I got an eye pencil which is still nice. To get perfume you have to spend $300 the prior year. My husband got me perfume our last anniversary and it came with a tiny shower gel and lotion. It was so hideously overpriced! I'd be just as happy with something in a sealed bottle from Marshall's!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 5:02 pm
I was getting something for the office in Staples and a man came in with a seeing eye dog - a huge one - and it just freaked me out, I mean, the teeth and everything.

The Greeter said that those kinds of dogs are specially gentle, but I was quite unnerved!

I guess it caught me off guard..............

ny_ima

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 5:15 pm
one must not look in the eyes of women, resha-im, and dogs
dogs are the face of the satan. I love dogs but not good to look them in the eyes. all of them. even cute little puppies.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 5:20 pm
Oh, I look my dog in the eyes all the time.
Can you please find a source for your statement?

Crayon210

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 6:04 pm
I was told to stay away from treif animals while pregnant in general.

It is also good to make sure a dog is not the first thing to see when leaving the mikvah, which is usually taken care of by the mikvah lady touching the woman as she comes out of the water.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 6:32 pm
SaraG, similar thing happened to me today too. I was at my desk at work and felt something on my foot. After a few seconds I heard some sniffing so I moved my chair back- the owner of the comapny's dog had gone under my desk. caught me off guard big time!

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 6:46 pm
A neighbor of ours trains leader dogs and she has a therapy dog. She welcomes the frum children in the neighborhood to hold the puppies so that they become accustomed to children. While there is a tradition that holds that children should not play with cats and probably also dogs, I think that a small amount of animal exposure will not harm the neshama of the child. I remember once when my child's class wanted to go to the zoo for a trip and most of the mothers were pregnant and followed a custom of not viewing treif animals. During pregnancy, it is important to avoid impure things. I feel that children should understand that treif animals are creations of Hashem who have been given a purpose by Hashem. We need to be kind to them but not overly friendly or afraid.

ektsm

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 7:10 pm
SaraG he was with a blind guy I am sure he wouldn't have hurt you!

micki

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 7:34 pm
so what?
is there more to the story?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 7:36 pm
Lub. only see Kosher animals in general......I thought only chaseeeeeeedishe ladies avoid all animals while preg!

ny_ima

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 9:53 pm
its from torat hasod; kabbalah

we are not allowed to learn zohar etc. inside, as women,
so you'll have to take my dh's word for it.

not allowed to look at women so not to get taavah.
at resha-im cuz eyes go straight to neshama and rasha has tumah in his eyes.
and dogs; are the disguise of evil in this world. its not good for your neshama, proof is the dog is man's best freind; the dog takes kedushah FROM US. loves us and NEEDS us.

we therefore do not want to be part of supplying holiness for the tumaah to survive on. which is a given cuz without energy from kedusha, there is no chayut-life for the tumah. the more they collect from our tumah, the greater their empire and upper hand in influencing us to their side is. kapish?

cats should not be played with cuz causes us to FORGET what learn. but it is not a form of the devil. although must wash hands after play with them before say bracha or learn torah. zoo: no allowed to watch animals *do it*

Crayon210

Post Thu, Mar 23 2006, 10:42 am
Just because someone quotes her husband's study of the Zohar does NOT oblige anyone here to assume this is halacha l'ma'aseh here. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 38   1  2  3  36  37  38  Next Recent Topics