Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO - recipe for pumpkin pie, parev, not milchig!

boysrus

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:21 pm
The title says it all! Does anyonehave a pumpkin pie recipe for me without condensed milk in it. If so, please share! TIA

greeneyes

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:37 pm
You can follow the recipe on the can of pumpkin and just use soy milk in place of condensed milk.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:39 pm
The Kosher by Design kids cookbook has a sweet potato pie recipe that I use canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes for interchangeably. I don't have the recipe on hand, but it's a favorite in my house. It uses soy milk.

boysrus

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:49 pm
thanks! I guess I will follow the directions on the can, becasue I dont have the kosher by design cookbooks.
isn't soy milk a slightly different consisitency to condensed milk though. Could you try it with rich's whip instead do you think ( I have that in the house, but no soy milk)

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 21 2012, 11:59 pm
I've used soy milk for the recipe on the can. Cant compare consistencies but it comes out yummy

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 12:40 am
Here ya go, dug up my KBD:

1 c. mashed sweet potatoes (if using candied yams from a can, drain well first; I also use canned pure pumpkin -- in fact, I prefer not having the extra sugar from the candied yams, the recipe is sweet enough already)
1 c. soymilk
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1 9-inch pie crust (cookbook calls for a thawed ready-to-bake pie crust, but I prefer a graham cracker crust)

1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Mash sweet potatoes with the back of a fork, and add soy milk, brown sugar, flour, eggs, cinnamon and salt. Mix with an electric mixer at medium speed (on yontif and when I'm feeling lazy, I find being thorough with a fork just fine) until mixture is a smooth, uniform batter.
3) Pour batter into pie crust.
4) Bake for 10 minutes at 400 F.
5) Turn oven temperature down to 350 F and bake another 40 minutes, until set.

The pie comes out sweet, creamily dense and delicious! And it even tastes great cold out of the fridge.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 6:59 pm
You can also use water in lieu of the milk. The pie may be slightly less rich, but you may not even notice a difference.

boysrus

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 11:41 pm
thanks everyone!

Soul on fire

Post Mon, Nov 26 2012, 1:30 am
I use a mixture of almond milk and pareve yogurt to replace the condensed milk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics