Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Need easy Roast for R''H

mommyof2boys

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 10:52 pm
believe it or not I have never made a roast! does anyone have any easy recipes?
simple and soft.
brisket or pickleed

thanks!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 11:01 pm
IIRC, you just boil a pickled roast, very simple.

Here's my favorite brisket recipe, sweet and sour: a cup of brown sugar, a cup of crushed tomatoes, and a jar of sour kraut. I think it's from one of the Kosher By Designs. Just pour it over the meat and roast at 350 for 2-3 hours, depending on the size of the roast. About an hour into the cooking you can add potatoes, onions, and carrots, which makes for a very easy side dish, all in one pan.

acccdac

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:15 am
I like the roast from the kosher palate that has carrots, prunes and parsnip.
Its my R"H roast.

The directions are given so you can make it a couple of days in advance, which always helps with preparation for yom tov.

awife2

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 5:44 am
The easiest roast recipe I found is rubbing it with onion soup mix, put some ketchup, then pour a can of coke. It's delicious!

granolamom

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:19 am
easiest (and best) I've done (we dont eat meat often) is a brick roast (or delmonico roast). I was told you cannot ruin it and that its always soft and tender.
sear roast, remove from pot. saute a bunch of sliced onions (I like vidalias and usually use three large). add roast with salt and pepper. add 5 chopped beefsteak tomatoes.
then you cook and watch and turn every half hr or so until its ready.
I remove the roast and reduce the liquid then add the liquid back to the roast.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 10:42 am
5-6 lb. brisket or French Roast
pieces of fresh garlic
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard
1/8 tsp. prepared horseradish

Put onions on bottom of pan. Season roast with garlic and place on top of onions.

Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat. Cover tightly and roast for about 3 hours or until almost soft.

Refrigerate roast. Slice when cool and return to pan juices. Reheat covered in pan juices until soft.

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:51 am
OOTBubby wrote:
pieces of fresh garlic
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard

Put onions on bottom of pan. Season roast with garlic and place on top of onions.

Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat. Cover tightly and roast for about 3 hours or until almost soft.

Refrigerate roast. Slice when cool and return to pan juices. Reheat covered in pan juices until soft.

Mustard powder or the prepared stuff?

Also horseradish with beets or plain?

elkayed

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:54 am
im famous for this french roast:

Pat onion soup mix on both sides
1 cup good red wine
2 cups water

cover and bake! tastes amazing and gets so soft.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 11:57 am
cbsmommy wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
pieces of fresh garlic
large onion, sliced

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1 c. duck sauce
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/8 tsp. mustard

Mustard powder or the prepared stuff?

Also horseradish with beets or plain?

Prepared mustard and horseradish with beets (and I've omitted both and it is still good).

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:05 pm
Take some heavy aluminum foil. Place sliced onion on it. Put brisket on top, smear ketchup, sprinkle with onion soup mix. Cover tightly and bake in slow oven (325) or crockpot for at least a few hours.
Separate the gravy from the roast. Refrigerate both overnight. Slice roast thin and put in pan. Skim fat off gravy and pour over. Freeze till ready to use.

cbsmommy

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:05 pm
OP I like this recipe:

-- large package of beef short ribs, or large roast
--3/4 cup soy sauce
--3/4 cup brown sugar
--5 whole jalapeno peppers
--1/2 cup water

throw in crockpot. cook on low 8 hours.

If making roast, chill in fridge, then slice, reheat and serve. For short ribs, serve straight from crock.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.co......html

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 12:42 pm
For tender roast, it's best to buy it pickled or salt a few days before cooking.

I like my roast & short ribs made with cubed onions, carrots, potatoes, (parsnip if you'd like), garlic pieces, bay leaves & dry red wine. It comes out best when prepared on a low flame on the stovetop.

For 2 short ribs, I'd use 2 of each vegetable & 3/4 of a cup of wine.

I like that the roast made with vegetables & potatoes is a main & side dish in 1 & looks beautiful too!

chams

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:27 pm
1 can of whole cranberries and 1 bottle of mariana sauce on the roast. Cover it and cook till tender. I can't remember off hand but I think about 2 hrs. When cooled slice thinly. It is easy and looks very nice.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 01 2012, 9:01 pm
Nothing too sweet, but this gives very rich and savory gravy. Also freezes and reheats really well.

* 1.5kg/3-4lb flat fresh (ie unpickled) brisket
* 2 large or 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
* 2-3 carrots, peeled, top/tail trimmed, sliced
* 2 ribs celery, trimmed, cut into 1.5" chunks
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 1/2 package onion soup mix

Rinse brisket, pat dry well, trim visible fat if any. Cut the meat in half if too big to fit into an oven-proof casserole (preferably ceramic or terra cotta that retains heat well). Salt & pepper, and coat with flour. In a large skillet, heat 1teasp oil. Sear all sides of brisket to seal in juice and reduce shrinkage. Line an oven-proof casserole with heavy-duty foil. Scatter half of vegetables underneath, the place meat, place the remainvegetable on top. In the frying pan used to sear the meat, pour red wine and scrape off any bits on the pan. Add onion soup mix and pour over the meat/vegetable. Closely seal the casserole with double foil. Cook in medium (180C) oven for 1hour, then reduce temp to 150C and cook for 4hours. (depending on the thickness of the meat, you may want to test after 3 hours). Once cooled, slice brisket. Reserve vegetables, remove fat from gravy. Whizz vegetable and de-fatted gravy in food processor. Pour the thickened gravy over the meat. Either reheat or freeze.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 2:51 pm
elkayed and Mrs. Bissli, I tried both your recipes (on two different pieces of meat) and they both taste delicious! (Although unsurprisingly, Mrs. Bissli's gravy is thicker and tastier.) Thanks a lot to both of you!

smiledr

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 3:25 pm
1 can cranberry sauce 3 tablespoons oniin soup mix over delmonico covered at 200-250the for four -5weeks hours. Slice and let sit in gravy.

racz

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 3:46 pm
dice up onions, cover the roast with ketchup top with onions (I also add mushrooms, hearts of palm), add a little water.
cook 350 usually 2-3 hours.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 6:50 pm
this is a really good recipe! (from a friend)

Seal meat on all sides in tomor or oil on quite high temp in heavy pan. This helps to brown onions with scrapings from pan. Remove meat. Add lots of onions sliced. Fry until they begin to brown. Replace meat on top of onions.
For chometz I add dried bay leaves and whole allspice berries For Pesach I use fresh bay leaves and omit the spice as we never used it at Pesach.
Season with black pepper. Cook slowly for hours turning meat over every hour. Sometimes I add in some fresh tomatoes. It makes its own gravy from onions and meat. Add potatoes and carrots if desired when meat is nearly tender. I sometimes cook it covered in the oven at 150 C. Add salt if necessary.

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 8:51 pm
awife2 wrote:
The easiest roast recipe I found is rubbing it with onion soup mix, put some ketchup, then pour a can of coke. It's delicious!

I have done this minus the ketchup. I agree that it is delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics