Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Desperate for side income
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 7:02 pm
Im currently a SAHM. My husband's income, while pretty ok b"h, doesn't cover our expenses.
It came to a point where DH can't sleep at night worrying how he'll pay his bills.

I'm desperate to help. I can't work too many hours because I cannot kill myself as I have a family to tend to.

Finding an office job with those "perfect" pt hours is almost impossible.

The only passion I have is for writing and poetry. I can see putting myself into it as a side income. But I don't know where to begin.
Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 7:40 pm
I recruit for three different companies--- all are work at home opportunities--- one is skin care and color cosmetics..... another is greeting cards... another is video email accounts and web software. there's sales involved. It's fun--- you make your own hours and the money per hour worked is amazing (I also need a full time income but need to work around my kids' schedules). I could interview you and set you up with one of the companies--- pm me if you're interested. Sorry it has nothing to do with writing/poetry.

There is a gal on here who writes for zujava, but I looked into it--- it doesn't pay much at all. Maybe if you're a SUPER quick writer. But you might be happy doing that. Don't know how much money you need.

And of course there's always ebay/etsy kind of stuff.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:10 pm
I always worked full time and it wasn't easy. Do you have health insurance through your husband?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:21 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I recruit for three different companies--- all are work at home opportunities--- one is skin care and color cosmetics..... another is greeting cards... another is video email accounts and web software. there's sales involved. It's fun--- you make your own hours and the money per hour worked is amazing (I also need a full time income but need to work around my kids' schedules). I could interview you and set you up with one of the companies--- pm me if you're interested. Sorry it has nothing to do with writing/poetry.

There is a gal on here who writes for zujava, but I looked into it--- it doesn't pay much at all. Maybe if you're a SUPER quick writer. But you might be happy doing that. Don't know how much money you need.

Op here.
Thanks, but I can't see myself going into the sales line.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I always worked full time and it wasn't easy. Do you have health insurance through your husband?

O here. Yes I do, why do you ask?

Full time isn't an option. I cannot neglect my house and kids and myself for that matter. Enough they see my husband only on Shabbos!

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:30 pm
OP, PM me - I may have an idea for you.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:50 pm
Lili- thanks! Can I just have a hint of what you have in mind?

spinkles

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 1:53 am
Can you babysit or do a playgroup in your home?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 9:56 am
chana_f wrote:
Can you babysit or do a playgroup in your home?

No, thanks.
I save every bit of patience I have for my own kids! (cuz I don't that much!)

settledin

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 11:02 am
TwinsMommy wrote:

Hi, I read your post and would be interested in following up, if possible.
I am looking for some at-home work as I also want to work around my family

Can I hear about these work opportunities and perhaps figure s/t out?
Thanks!

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:24 pm
you can try fiverr.com and see if that helps. on that site, people post things that they are willing to do for $5, and things that they want done for $5. so you can post something or respond to something. if you could do it often, it adds up. for example, if you could do 5 gigs an hour for $5 each, then you earn $25 in that hour. it depends on what it is.
http://fiverr.com/categories/writing

you can also try freelancer.com and see if you find projects to do. Projects start at $30 and go up to hundreds of dollars. you can start off getting paid a low amount, and then when you get great reviews and prove yourself, they might pay you more. people post projects that they want done, and people bid on them. I've hired people there to write articles for me in the past, and I've looked for people that write well and know fluent english.
http://www.freelancer.com/sellers/

you can also try elance.com, guru.com, avelancers.com

do not give anyone your private information because some people are scammers. you can create a free email address to join freelancer and bid on projects.

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:31 pm
here is an example of two poetry jobs that you can bid on:

http://www.freelancer.com/proj......html

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:35 pm
sample writing jobs on the site:

There are many other jobs, find what is applicable to you. People bid from all over the world. When you bid, show them that you are fluent in English and good for what they need.

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:45 pm
I'm the "gal who writes for zujava". (I have articles on other sites too). It's true that the tier payments are not much at the moment. However, if you include amazon or other affiliate products, then you can earn a commission when people purchase through your link. I don't focus so much on that, but some people do.

Another idea is as follows: If you have a bunch of school essays and school research papers saved on your computer, that you never published, you can publish them on zujava. it doesn't take much time. You just need to split up the content into sections and add pictures in between the sections, but it's basically a copy and paste of all of your school papers that you never published. and down the line you could earn some money from it. the tier payments are currently very little each month unless you have amazon sales, but it's better than just leaving it on your computer for no one to see.

even if you only earn pennies a month, down the line it could be hundreds of dollars a month, because the articles keep earning money every month that you keep them on the site, and as the site grows, the income grows for every article on the site, based on the tiers.

also check out my suggestions above regarding fiverr, freelancer etc. Those are immediate, so you don't have to wait for it to grow. Just be careful not to give out private information because some are legitimate but some are scammers.

I hope that helps.

Hatzlacha.

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 2:57 pm
http://www.zujava.com/progress

As you can see, I posted 9 articles prior to June, and got paid $55.13 for those 9 articles, and will continue to get paid for them for every month that they are on the site. And will get paid more, because I posted more articles since then.

I have not been selling via Amazon (except one small item) on this site.

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 3:08 pm
I'm not trying to fool anyone. I posted my earnings openly. I also recommended other options.

If you want to see more details, read this thread:
http://www.zujava.com/forum/ge.....month
http://www.zujava.com/blog/201.....-sent

I know that the tier payments are small. I do think that there is potential in the future, and that's why I"m continuing there.

This site is similar to Squidoo, but some differences.
-----

What about my other suggestions, regarding freelancer and fiverr?

DK

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 3:13 pm
My husband joined Ambit. It Is worth a look.As a side perk we also get free energy. If you're interested watch the video and call him back with any questions (his number is on the web page). The address is www.dadof9.energy526.com

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 3:30 pm
OP, if you enjoy writing, it would be worthwhile to study my free e-course Online Gelt 101 about setting up a blog/ website for profit. http://onlinegelt.com.

NOTE: It's not a get rich quick scheme. You will work for a while before you turn a nice profit, as is the case in all businesses.

Hatzlacha. You really need to consider whether you have the mental fortitude to build a business right now, or if you would do better having a job or freelancing.

mazeltov

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 3:40 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
OP, if you enjoy writing, it would be worthwhile to study my free e-course Online Gelt 101 about setting up a blog/ website for profit. http://onlinegelt.com.

NOTE: It's not a get rich quick scheme. You will work for a while before you turn a nice profit, as is the case in all businesses.

Hatzlacha. You really need to consider whether you have the mental fortitude to build a business right now, or if you would do better having a job or freelancing.

I have read onlinegelt, and I recommend it, because it has very useful information. However, building your own site costs money (about $10 upfront and $10 per month for hosting). As she said it also take a lot of time. and it also takes a lot of time to build a blog and you have to write everything yourself (or purchase articles to publish). I found the above link very helpful, but I decided to use those tips on sites that are already established so that I don't need to pay for hosting, domain names and don't need to focus on one niche. I started on squidoo, then moved to hubpages and wizzley and now I'm on zujava. Zujava is a site similar to what online gelt mentions, but it has the added benefit that it's free to use, it's search engine optimized, there's a dedicated support team taking care of the design and lots of features, and you can write about almost any niche, with other similar topics on the site. just like she wrote above, it's not a get rich quick scheme. But I do feel that it's quicker to go with a site like zujava then start your own from scratch, especially if you're new to building sites. for an expert it might be different.
like she said, and I agree:
"NOTE: It's not a get rich quick scheme. You will work for a while before you turn a nice profit, as is the case in all businesses."
I do feel that it is easier and quicker to go with Zujava or wizzley rather than starting your own site. of course, you can try all options, which is what I did. I've tried all options, but didn't get far with my own sites, although I still have them.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 4:00 pm
Good info. Thanx. Cool
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics