Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Doctors's gift
1  2  Next

Tovah

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 3:15 pm
just found out that if your doc deliver's u, most ppl give gifts. but what am I suppose to give her?

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 3:16 pm
most people?!

really?

never heard of it

don't they get paid enough? Confused

ilvmommyhood

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 3:29 pm
I know a lot of people who do this. Instead I do it at different times of the year. I make a point of sending my ob shaloach manot and a package of shmara matzah (she is jewish). I make a nice card with the kid's pictures on it and say thank you for everything you have done to help our family grow and be healthy. I do the same for our ped.

Quote:
don't they get paid enough?

Actually no they do not! I saw the bill... $25000. Guess what the insurance paid my ob- $1500. This included all my check ups, all tests done in her office, all aftercare. Not a lot of money if you think about it! My ob once told me she has to deliver a min of 10 women a month just to pay the bills.

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 4:14 pm
Atchually how much they get paid is not so relevant is not the issue here, just being a mentch is. And can be a real kiddush hashem. We always give something small like a box of chocolates and a picture w/h a card.

Especially incase one uses them again and who knows, they may remember Twisted Evil

Tovah

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 9:46 pm
that's a good idea, we have a really nice chocolate store here, thanks!

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 21 2005, 11:32 pm
my birthing center had just relocated after I gave birth so we gave them a terra cotta planter with a few little potted plants in it. every time I take prof shots of the baby I send them a card with pic. we feel such hakaras hatov to them for all they did that we automatically want to do s/t for them!

supermom

Post Fri, Apr 22 2005, 2:13 am
I bought my ob a nice big bouqet of flowers she was so shocked she told me no one ever gives her gifts yup kiddush Hashem it does make since she wasn't jewish

raizy

Post Mon, Apr 25 2005, 11:43 pm
Here in montreal alot of women give money. I give it too. I don't know what to give so I just give money. and no they don't make alot of money for all the work they do. my doc was with me all four times and sometimes she stayed in the hospital a whole night waiting so I should deliver . so that is dedication on her part. also I am high risk and I see her minuim once a week for 9 months. Sad so she really deserves something from me....

supermom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 12:01 am
if you dont mind me asking how much money do you give already that sounds reasonable enough?

raizy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 12:40 am
I gave 160 dollars. why that amout becouse I wanted to give 150 dollars and the atm machine only gave me 20 so I cant exactly ask the doc to give me 10 dollars back so the "minag" stuck and that what I give after every baby......

imaamy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 12:46 am
I can't imagine in the US giving money. I almost think the doctor would be offended. OBsdon't make as much money as specialties like surgery but they are paid usually by insurance and expect that. I didn't give mine any gift. My second was born by some resident I'd never met because not one (of 12 women docs) in the practice wanted to come in on a Sunday morning so I was not going to give her a gift! It was all I could do not to scream at her when she did come to see me after the birth.

Pearl

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 7:13 am
I never heard of giving presents to dr's for delivering before...I am a very giving and considering person (and I mean that in a modest way, really! I never miss a birthday, or any simche for that matter, there will always be at least a card), but in any case, I was so disappointed by the staff at every delivery, that the thought also never crossed my mind!

IndyMom

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 8:40 am
I've always wanted to give a gift to my midwife and doula, but I never did since I couldn't think of something appropriate to give. Perhaps this time I'll figure it out.

1stimer

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 12:44 pm
Quote:
but in any case, I was so disappointed by the staff at every delivery, that the thought also never crossed my mind!

I was disappointed with the midwives in the postnatal ward but we still gave them a box of chocs and a thank you card.

imaamy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 11:07 pm
I never saw the resident who delivered Rachel again. I would have had to give my official doctor a thank you gift when she didn't show up. Sad

Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 6:33 am
I was never aware one should give a gift, but iyh, next time will do so, bli neder!

zkalan

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 11:36 am
What would be a good an d appropriate gift for a male ob?

queen

Post Wed, Apr 27 2005, 12:50 pm
my OBGYN is frum (married) and lives in our community. I thought of bringing flowers for shabbos one week with a nice thank you note. After reading here of others who included pictures, will probably add one in too! thanks for the idea!

queenie

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 9:35 pm
My dr didn't come to the delivery at all bc it was on shabbos. But, she did pass me in the hall in the hospital after the birth and didn't even say hello. I tried to say hello and speak to her but she quickly walked away like she didn't hear me. I couldn't (and wouldn't) exactly run after her. She was really horrible.

Needless to say I have a different OBGYN now. Other people had this experience with her too.

supermom

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 2:09 pm
how rude!! Confused and they call themselves a doctor!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics