Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bday gift for dh.... a road bike

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 2:22 pm
I'd like to get a road bike for dh to go and come from work. He told me a number of times that he wants a bike. where can I find one for cheap online and how do I know which one is a good one?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:15 pm
Don't know but as an accessory buy lights so it is safer for him to ride home.

Esther01

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:41 pm
where do you live? do you have a target nearby?

my dh baught a bike this past summer, he baught a mountain bike since we live in a more hilly place. but if you live in the city then a road bike is prabably the best choise.

look for a light weight one, (the lighter it is the easier it is to ride it) the 'shwimm' company is great. we paid about $130-140 in target. it's a great price.

any more questions you can pm me, my dh is a 'bikeaholic' Wink

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:51 pm
I think you should shop together.

S.Shcwartz

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 6:16 pm
...then it wont be a surprise!
(I dont think he knows anything about bikes anyway)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 3:55 pm
big decisions like this should be made together..and you want to get the right size, right?

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:21 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
big decisions like this should be made together..and you want to get the right size, right?

R U kidding? Confused

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 8:22 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

R U kidding? Confused

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:43 pm
No, I'm not! A good bike costs a couple of hundred dollars right? I don't think either spouse should spend that on the other without their consent.

And aren't bikes sold by size - kids' bikes are, at least . . .

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:48 pm
I bought a bike for my h once - they are standard sizes and seats are adjustable for this purpose. Besides why on earth would you ruin a surprise. Any place that you are going to buy a bike for DH will most certainly be able to help you w/a little info. like height, type of riding that will be done etc.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 11:13 am
In our house, we do not make major purchases without checking with the other. Money is too tight for that.

anuta

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 8:16 pm
I speak from experience because I have researched and bought the bike for myself, and my husband is a very good bicyclist who owns a road bike.If you want to buy a bike that will not fall apart with normal and frequent use, you should definitely do not do it without your husband.

Because:
1. Bikes do come in frame sizes. Adult ones do too. He should test several in the price range out to see which is more comfortable, and be measured for a frame size!
2. You should go to a real bike shop, not Target. Target , Walmart etc. carry brands that are not very good quality at all, and their sales staff cannot help you and advise you because they don't know much about bikes. and unless you know a lot about bikes to be able to fix them up all the time and maintain them its not a good idea.
3. Road bikes are very expensive. I am assuming your budget is less than upwards of $700? I would go with a hybrid bike (between a mountain and a road bike), a low-end but quality brand one can be found for under $300 in a bike shop. (I bought a Specialized brand bike; I was also considering a Giant brand one, but when I tested both the Specialized one was more comfortable for my body)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics