Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Having a baby in Israel...
1  2  Next

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:05 am
We are wrestling with the decision of whether to move before or after giving birth B'H. We would be moving at about 32-33 weeks pregnant and I am worried that the quality of care that late in the game will not be as good as it is here in the US (not trying to offend anyone- just stating a fear I have).

The cons to staying are that we would be living in a place we hate where there are no young couples around to help and my parents live very far away and might not be able to come in b/c we have a tiny apartment. It would also mean doing RH/YK/Sukkot by ourselves.

My biggest fear of the move is that right now my OB is fantastic. Seriously fantastic. She listens to me in every regard and I had some problems right before I delivered my last child (suspected blood clot- it wasnt B'H, episiotomy and 4th degree tear forward, a terrible sew up from episiotomy that still gives me pain now, low amniotic fluid etc etc) and I know if I mentioned to her I was having concerns they would be taken very seriously. From some posts on here, I get the impression it is not like this in Israel- one poster said her Dr wanted to admit her, but the Dr/midwives at hospital didnt and she was sent back.

What happens, for example, if you think you are leaking amniotic fluid at the end of the pregnancy? Or if you have decreased fetal movement C'VS? And you tell your Dr/midwife but it is someone you havent met before? Do they take it seriously?

Sorry for the long post here, btw, but I am not allowed to join the 'having a baby in israel' forum yet so... What

Thanks to anyone in advance who answers!

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:32 am
You get sent for a monitor in those cases. If things are iffy, you stay in Women's Emergency (Miyun Nashim) for observation, overnight or till you get a clear bill.

rovacat

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:41 am
I had 3 births in the us with Private drs. I tOtally understand hour fears. I thought the care here wouldnt be as good. I iust had by first isrseli birth and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality Of care I as given. You d

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:42 am
Can you afford to take a private doctor? If you ask, I'm sure some of the Israeli imamothers can give you recommendations. That's probably your best bet for having a baby here with the least amount of stress or drama.

Usually, the procedure is that you have an ob/gyn that you see for 9 months... they know you and they listen to you and they are helpful and caring.... and then you go into labor and show up at the hospital and whoever is on shift delivers your baby. The midwives actually do most of the work. I've done this several times and it's been fine, B"H, but many women prefer to have a doctor they know and trust there... especially if they've had complications in the past or may need special care.

We're not living in the dark ages..lol. Israeli hospitals are modern and have all the latest technologies and equipment and many of the medical staff speak English and may even be American. You really don't have anything to worry about, but hiring a private doctor or a private midwife would give you peace of mind.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:47 am
wispalover wrote:
We are wrestling with the decision of whether to move before or after giving birth B'H. We would be moving at about 32-33 weeks pregnant and I am worried that the quality of care that late in the game will not be as good as it is here in the US (not trying to offend anyone- just stating a fear I have).

The cons to staying are that we would be living in a place we hate where there are no young couples around to help and my parents live very far away and might not be able to come in b/c we have a tiny apartment. It would also mean doing RH/YK/Sukkot by ourselves.

My biggest fear of the move is that right now my OB is fantastic. Seriously fantastic. She listens to me in every regard and I had some problems right before I delivered my last child (suspected blood clot- it wasnt B'H, episiotomy and 4th degree tear forward, a terrible sew up from episiotomy that still gives me pain now, low amniotic fluid etc etc) and I know if I mentioned to her I was having concerns they would be taken very seriously. From some posts on here, I get the impression it is not like this in Israel- one poster said her Dr wanted to admit her, but the Dr/midwives at hospital didnt and she was sent back.

What happens, for example, if you think you are leaking amniotic fluid at the end of the pregnancy? Or if you have decreased fetal movement C'VS? And you tell your Dr/midwife but it is someone you havent met before? Do they take it seriously?

Sorry for the long post here, btw, but I am not allowed to join the 'having a baby in israel' forum yet so... What

It seems as though even with fantastic care, things can go wrong. I had 3 babies in the U.S. and 2 here: one 27 years ago and one 7.5 years ago. I think that the basic difference is comfort level of the LD room and the lack of private room after the birth. Other than than, I can't say Israel is much worse than the U.S. based on my experiences.
If you take a doula, life will probably be much easier.
Practically, I think it's a better idea to have the baby in the U.S. and come on Aliya afterwards. Just for convenience sake. There are SO MANY things going on when you make aliya and having a baby would just be added stress, at a time when you really don't need it.

rovacat

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:47 am
I found the doctors here were very concerned if there was even the slightest decrease in fetal movement, or a decrease in amniotic fluid. They were cautious and the staff at the hospital was veey friendly. After my expeeience here I can confidently say theres no reason to have a baby in the us. Plus, hadassah has a policy that if theyre over crowded they will transfee toi to hadassah baby and pay for your stay!!

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:52 am
Tamiri wrote:
wispalover wrote:

It seems as though even with fantastic care, things can go wrong. I had 3 babies in the U.S. and 2 here: one 27 years ago and one 7.5 years ago. I think that the basic difference is comfort level of the LD room and the lack of private room after the birth. Other than than, I can't say Israel is much worse than the U.S. based on my experiences.
Practically, I think it's a better idea to have the baby in the U.S. and come on Aliya afterwards. Just for convenience sake. There are SO MANY things going on when you make aliya and having a baby would just be added stress, at a time when you really don't need it.

I know it is an option but it is really a terrible one for us, and if possible I'd really like to make it work to go there and give birth. We are in a really tiny apartment with no family/friends around and have been saving for a long time for the move. We both gave notice before I got preg in preparation for the move and if we stay we will eat through all the savings we have.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:00 am
Tamiri wrote:
wispalover wrote:

I think it would be harder to make aliya with a tiny baby, especially taking care of all those last/first things soon after birth. I think it would be much easier to come in later pregnancy, have some time to get at least initially settled, and then have a baby. Also, do you have other children? It will be much easier to settle them into school/gan first before you have a baby.

About the care - the care here is very good, though everywhere has its horror stories. You don't get the doctor you saw all of your pregnancy - if everything goes well, you won't have a doctor there at all, only a midwife. If you decide where you will be living, posters here can probably advise you which is the best hospital for you (mention your preferences re natural birth etc.) If you have any doubt about a possible emergency in late pregnancy, you go straight to the maternity/delivery department at the hospital and they decide what to do.

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:06 am
I have a three year old as well.

I was leaning towards a natural birth- especially in Israel- but I dont know if I will be able to do it. Hopefully I will Wink

I was thinking about Laniado, but I saw on another post that Ichilov comes very highly recommended. Since my family lives in Netanya and we will be staying with them, honestly Laniado will be more convenient however if there is a hugely compelling reason not to use Laniado and some other hospital is much, much better we would definitely go there. We just want to be where care is best (subjective I know).

I think ewa-jo's suggestion of a private doctor is a good idea- what sort of prices are we talking about for private care? And approximately how much is a doula in Israel in the Sharon area?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:22 am
Then with the info you gave, PLUS having family here... by all means have a baby here. It's not your first; you know what it's all about. So then come on over! I don't think any one hospital is so fabulously different than another in the center of the country. Go to Laniado (unless one of the mothers here knows otherwise), have the baby, and get on with life.
Bring all your medical records with you on the off chance someone will want to refer to them.

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:32 am
Tamiri wrote:
Then with the info you gave, PLUS having family here... by all means have a baby here. It's not your first; you know what it's all about. So then come on over! I don't think any one hospital is so fabulously different than another in the center of the country. Go to Laniado (unless one of the mothers here knows otherwise), have the baby, and get on with life.
Bring all your medical records with you on the off chance someone will want to refer to them.

This is the kind of thing I think of that makes me nervous Wink

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:38 am
Once you get here, you realize that medical care in the U.S. is over-rated. And that's what you are paying for. Here, it's a much more relaxed attitude, though if you need help, you sure can get it. They took VERY good care of me here when I had GD with the last pregnancy. VERY. In my experience, you just have to be laid back and forget what you knew about medicine in the U.S. It's a very developed nation here, you know....

ora_43

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:46 am
I can see why you'd be worried. I would also be worried about leaving a doctor you know is competent and caring for an unknown provider. Yes, medical care here is good overall, but you can still get a bad midwife.

I think, though, that if you come at 32-33 weeks you should have time to find a doula or someone else to support you in labor here, and to find a good ob/gyn (good to have even though they won't be around for the birth itself).

If it were a smaller time difference I'd say just have the baby there, but it sounds like that would really throw off your plans. And like Tamiri said, having family around after the birth and being here for the start of the school year are both important too.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:52 am
The medical side here is fine, the creature comforts can leave a lot to be desired. But hey, giving birth is no picnic anywhere right? It hurts~
So come, have family here and have a sabra~! It's fun!

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:07 am
Don't move with a newborn.

Gt recommendations for private doctors, and maybe call and interview them from abroad. Expect a more relaxed attitude, and remember that it is not an indication of lack of seriousness. Ask about doulas, too.
If you have relatives in Israel to help you, that's even better. Have you livedin Israel? How is your Hebrew?

Your doctor will likely/hopefully do very little, but it's worth your peace of mind coming from the states.

Maybe you can interview doulas from abroad, maybe make the final selection when there.
But generally it is better to move when pg than with a baby.

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:31 am
Yes we have lived in Israel before but my hebrew is not great so I would like a bilingual doula if possible. I am going to start a new post for reccs.

Thanks so much everybody!

ima m

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:36 am
as someone that has recently made alyia (4 months ago) and is now pregnant with my third I would advice moving before the baby because there is so much to do and a new born would just slow you down, waiting in all the offices wanting to feed, organizing your home in my opinion is easier done before the baby comes (I'm sure others will disagree)

I find the medical side of things her very through (more so than england) and I work in the medical field, I find that sometimes they are even over cautions

however if you are one of these people that will be very stressed with the move then maybe for you it would be best to wiat, it depends if your personal pros outweigh the cons as to when to make the big move
basha tova and hatslach with the move

moonstone

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:54 am
freidasima wrote:
The medical side here is fine, the creature comforts can leave a lot to be desired. But hey, giving birth is no picnic anywhere right? It hurts~
So come, have family here and have a sabra~! It's fun!

The bolded, the bolded! Very Happy

As long as you keep in mind that the hospitals will NOT be as they are in the US, where they are sometimes more like hotels than hospitals. The rooms probably won't be too pretty, there won't be any menu in the evening so you can choose your meals for the next day, the nurses are overworked and won't have time to fluff your pillows. Depending where you are, you might be sleeping in an old-fashioned hospital bed that you have to hand crank up and down. But the medical care is perfectly fine, I had absolutely no complaints with any of my births on that score. Just lower your expectations for everything else, and you'll be fine. Very Happy .

smss

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 12:21 pm
I don't have really anything to add about the other questions you asked, but just something that wasn't brought up yet: are you making aliyah officially, like becoming an Israeli citizen?
If yes then nothing to worry about, if everything is complete and you come with Nefesh b'Nefesh, so your insurance (Bituach Leumi) will be taken care of right away and you can sign up to a kupah immediately, choose a doctor, register with a hospital and have the entire birth paid for.
BUT - If you're coming as American citizens you would not even be able to get on insurance till you've been here 6 months, and paying privately for doctors, birth, etc. is REALLY expensive.

wispalover

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 12:24 pm
We are returning citizens. We have paid the health fee fund so can join a Kupah upon arrival and are working with JAFI head officer as well, so hopefully that will all be ok Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions