Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanukah House will be on NBC
1  2  Next

brooklyn

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 11:12 am
The house that you all love to hate, the one that I proudly display as my avatar will be featured tomorrow, (Thursday 12/21) on the Today in New York show on NBC. Last night the owners hosted the Yeshiva of Belle Harbor at their home where the Rabbi lit the menorah and the children all sang Chanukah songs and were given peckalach and sufganiot. It was really a beautiful thing to see. A reporter and camara man for NBC was there filming it all and they said it would air tomorrow. For those that don't have a TV it will also be on their website.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 11:32 am
I just read about it in th Jewish Press this week. I happen to love it Brooklyn, but I also loved your previous avatar (lol). My mother taught the wife.

brooklyn

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 11:42 am
I'll probably put my old avatar back after Chanuka.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:23 am
I wasted my morning watching - I must have missed it while getting my dd off to school Sad

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:36 am
It was on at 5:50 am. I thought it was a very nice story. Later today you can watch the clip on Today in New York's web site. Look for Cat's Corner. Right now you can still see the video of when she went to the Jewish Children's Museum in CH.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:43 am
Brooklyn, can u post a link? I couldn't find it.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:24 am
http://www.wnbc.com/tiny/index.html

Looks like thaey are still updating the page, the story is listed (it wasn't tem min ago) but when u click on it it doesn't stream. Wait a little while and try it.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:28 am
oh how cool, I love it, its awesome, I love that the neighbors the non jews helped the jews that is so so so cool, its so nice to see that.

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:29 am
It worked for me.
Woops- she said it's the 7th day of chanukah.

Check out Baltimore's chanukah house: http://baltimore.about.com/gi/.....e.com

Last edited by 613 on Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:30 am
Just watched it. Thanks. Looking for the museum bit now.

Emuna

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:59 am
I'd love to see the museum also!!!

ShiraMiri

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 12:06 pm
LOL! I sent the link to my husband. I wonder what he will say. He absolutely hates it when Jews try to "Xmasize" Chanukah. The only decorations he likes are the menorahs and the ones the kids make at school. Anything else he thinks is trying to be like non jews.

He also finds it ironic that Chanuka is one of the holidays that secular Jews love to celebrate (for example, speaking from my own background Shavuos and Sukkot were not even on the radar) - considering that it is a celebration of Judaism against assimilation of Greek values. Yet, the Jews that are most assimilated are celebrating Jewish triumph over assimilation. Ironic..

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 4:32 pm
Did anybody else see the clip? Just wondering what you all thought.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 4:47 pm
brooklyn wrote:
Did anybody else see the clip? Just wondering what you all thought.

I saw the clip and I am sorry but I did not like it at all. I thought that these jews, frum or not, I could not tell, were really trying to copy chrismas too much and it actually made me uncomfortable to watch it.

its interesting, a few days someone said that chanukah is the festival of lights and maybe the christians did not want to be outdone this time of year so they started to bring about the chrismas lights.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 5:08 pm
No disrespect to you Shabbat, but living in the area and knowing the people let me share my perspective. The area is mixed, with Jews and non jews. Of the Jews that live there many are not frum. Many have little connection with yiddishkeit, Maybe driving to shul for yizkor on Yom Kippur. These are many of the people who stop and look at this house in awe. These are the people who bring their kids to see the house and take some pride in their Jewish identity. Having lived in the area for several years I can say that because of this house other Jews are starting to put menoras in their windows. Everyone who stops love it and if it causes more yidden, especially not frum yidden to take pride in being Jewish and maybe cause a little spark of yiddishkeit to ignite inside of them how can this be wrong. It is easy for someone who just sees a picture of the house to criticize and say it is non jewish. Why don't all of you who hate it come and spent just one hour in front of that house and see what happens when people stop to look at it. Speak to those people who stop and see what they think. I think that this house does as much good (maybe more) than the people on mivtzoyin giving out menorahs in the street, or the shluchim with their Chanuka parties and gatherings. I'm sure many will disagree, but like I said you are there and I am here where it is happening.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 9:48 am
Brooklyn, I'm with you on that!

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 11:57 pm
Yo Brooklyn - Just watched it thanks

btw - I made this big wood menora and my friend has same one - she said mine looked too chrismassy cause I used colored lights - aren't the candles colorful too. All my neighbors love it and they're not even jewish.

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 1:01 am
brooklyn wrote:
... because of this house other Jews are starting to put menoras in their windows. ...and if it causes more yidden, especially not frum yidden to take pride in being Jewish and maybe cause a little spark of yiddishkeit to ignite inside of them how can this be wrong.

I am also a little uncomfortable with the house and, as Marny puts it, xmas-izing it.

I wanted to take your argument to an extreme, (and isnt that what we do here?) Smile but I just couldn't think of a good one so I asked my son for one. He suggested a Chanukah concert where Ozzy Osburne sings Maoz Tzur. Hey the secular kids love him...

of course anything that makes a yid closer the Hashem, who are we to say its no good.

supermom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 5:47 am
I didn't see the clip but saw the clip from the JM.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 6:16 am
What is JM?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics