Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
So about those Chabad menorahs...

Chayary

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 8:21 pm
I am giving a shiur on the symbolism of the menorah, and was wondering why Chabad makes their menorahs davka in the shape that the Rambam held was the shape of the menorah in the Beis Hamikdash. Other groups who pasken like the Rambam, like Sephardim, don't attempt to replicate the look of the Beis Hamikdash menorah, as far as I know. Anybody out there know why Chabad makes the menorahs with the straight arms? And those of you who are Lubavitch, do you use those at home as well, or are those specifically for the public displays?

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:03 pm
because the rounded shape is taken from the Arch of Titus and was prepared for his triumphant return after defeating the Jews. The artist did not see the menora before carving the round shape.

There is significance to the shape kabbalistically. The Rambam also saw fit to correct the misrepresentations. Both as a guide for our next building, be"h and so the spiritual concepts would not be lost.

Also, its plian incorrect. Ditto rounded luchos. They are the product of a non jewish artiste's imagination.

bandcm

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 8:47 am
We have a menorah at home that is sort of straight but with lots of floral curly things, not starkly straight at all.
But the menorah that we are having built for public display is definitely the correct shape. I don´t know why. It´s not for the Bais Hamikdosh! My husband just wanted it that way.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:24 am
My son said the Rebbe said not to use the round shape at all. I didn't see it myself.

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:35 am
(Likkutei Sichos vol. 21, p. 169)

"It would be proper to "restore the crown," I.e., all those who make illustrations of the menora (in order to show how the menora looked in the Mishkan and Mikdash) should draw the branches as diagonally coming out of the middle branch. So too, in the schools, etc., on the sheets they distribute. And if the menora is depicted as a "half-bow" (rounded), the picture should be changed and the menora made diagonal.

Based on this, the menoros used on Chanuka should also be diagonal… Rounded menoros (as they are shown on the Arch of Titus) should actually make us cry out, because (and this is most important) it contradicts Rashi and Rambam, etc., and because it gives a certain approbation, etc., ch’v, to the image on the Arch of Titus, which was made to cause pain to the Jews and to disgrace them!

Instead of the shape of the menora arousing Jews to their task of being a "light to the nations," for "it is a testimony to all that the Divine presence rests on the Jewish people," the shape of the [rounded] menora reminds us of exactly the opposite: how Rome was victorious over the Jews!"
-------------------------------------
besides the menora that was in the Kodesh, there were ten menoras besides, that may very well have been rounded

jewgal84

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 7:38 am
Thanks Motek, I was waiting for some1 to answer, I didn't know the reason myself..

Chayary

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 10:34 am
Thanks Motek! too late for the shiur, but good for future reference. A Freilich and lichtege Chanukah!

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 2:42 pm
I don't want to take all the credit when Imaonwheels was the first post to post a response!

Chayary

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 8:19 pm
Thank you Motek AND Imaonwheels!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics