Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Ideas for Chol HAmoed

ez-pass

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 10:54 am
I would like to go away for Chol Hamoed Pesach. I originally wanted to go to Florida for 3 days, however tickets are very expensive now. I live in NY and am willing to drive up to 3-4 hours away. I would go the who Chol Hamoed. I need somewhere with a minyan. I would be going with my husband and 9 month old son. We want to do things but mainly just relax. (which is why I wanted FLorida, change of scenery). I am willing to fly too, but not anywhere too expensive.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:52 am
Pennsylvania, connecticut, houston-texas (fly), baltimore, boston, montreal, niagra.

ez-pass

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 11:53 am
Any ideas what can be done in those places?

the chevrah

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 1:33 pm
chocolate chips, any ideas for Houston, Texas?

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 3:26 pm
In pensylvania there is Amish Town, Hershey Park and various other attractions.
I know that in Houston there is a huge shopping mall with little entertainment things for kids there is also a lot of museums for kids but I have never been there so I wouldn't be able to tell you what is good
http://www.visithoustontexas.c.....ated/

search google for visitors guide to the other places. They are all on my dream list to visit Smile

sky

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 4:39 pm
The problem is a lot of outdoor attractions are still closed now. Here are some ideas but you have to see what is open this time of year.

Connecticut:
Gillete castle. Either drive there, take a ferry, or take a train ride on the essex steam train.
Or just do the essex steam train on its own.
Take a boat ride to Sheffield Island Lighthouse, there is an aquarium next door.
Lots of beaches in CT to walk along.

Niagra:
If you are willing to drive you can drive to Niagra falls. Along the way each direction stop at Watkins Glen, Letchworth State Park. Howe caverns may also be on the way (underground caverns with a boat ride)

Lancaster:
During the summer in Lancaster there is a lot to do. But now I"m not so sure. Hershey park will probably be open one day by a Jewish org. Horse and Buggy ride. Tour Krieder's farm (that is where pride of the farm milk is made), visit a working amish farm or any farm. Drive through miles of farm land.
Longwood Gardens is semi nearby and is gorgeous. There are also underground caverns in the area you can tour.

New Hampshire - I've never been there but I hear it is gorgeous. I have no clue what you can do this time of year but if I had a few days I would go. Or Virginia or Main.
Rhode Island - tour some old mansions.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 7:24 pm
Oh and there is always washington dc and all the presidential stuff there.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:09 pm
but tickets to houston are prob just as expensive as florida..
just out of curiosity, why did you pick houston?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 28 2012, 8:40 pm
florida sounds nice. Pennsylvania is for sure going to have a minyan. Virginia and dc is nice too...

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
but tickets to houston are prob just as expensive as florida..
just out of curiosity, why did you pick houston?

I know someone who lives there and its meant to be a really nice place.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 2:30 pm
This is going to be a funny idea but what about Lakewood or deal.
You have the boardwalk in Point Pleasant, lots of peaceful beaches nearby.
Camden Aquarium.
You can rent a 2 person bike that can fit a baby and ride on the beach - http://www.rentmeatrossis.com/
You can do the six flags safari
boating - I think there is a sail boat rental in Toms River - not sure if you can take a baby. In Lakewood itself there is a boat rental on the lake and there are lots of areas nearby with peaceful boat rentals (may be busy during chol hamoed).
Allaire state park is a nice park with a historic village.

sweetnsalty

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 3:03 pm
How about the mansions in Rhode Island? SO pretty ! And you have the Touro synagouge in Providence

ez-pass

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 7:12 pm
These sound like fun. I will havta look into them. Any idea where you can stay by Deal?

sky

Post Thu, Mar 29 2012, 7:16 pm
ocean place resort is on the beach. Other then that there are a lot of standard hotels. If using a website you can also check out longbranch, NJ. Its the same area.
Six flags amusement park is also open then and is right nearby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics