Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for Host (pesach)
1  2  3  Next

RedVines

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 10:50 am
We are a family of four, a 3 year old and a 12 month old, we are going to another close family for the whole pesach. I wanted to know what would you guys want as a gift from your guests? I was thinking a check for whatever we could do, my husband thinks thats a bit weird. I just feel that pesach gets so expensive, well what do you lovly ladies think?

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:03 am
I think your'e husband has a point. What about a gift certificate though, (plus/or wine and matzos)? To a department store that sells clothes, toys, furnishings etc.

RedVines

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:16 am
how much is a good amount?

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:21 am
Well put it this way if you had to make Pesach yourselves it would still cost more then what you'll give them. How about $100-150 and maybe a box of matzohs, a bottle of wine? What This is what I did yrs ago when someone made Pesach for us and we went there. Now in our situation we don't have that luxury so now everyone, almost anyway comes to us Wink

stem

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 12:07 pm
I think giving a check to close family member might be a little insulting (unless the parent is helping out a married child).
I would buy them a useful gift for the home, a set of towels, bentchers, nice serving bowl/platter... etc.
You could offer to bring your own Matza and wine if you don't think they could afford it.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 12:12 pm
Stem we were talking now about a gift certificate amount Confused

stem

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 12:26 pm
mommyoftwo did not mention a gift certificate, you did.
I am suggesting a gift instead. IMO a gift certificate is almost as bad as a check. I would see it as insulting.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 12:27 pm
So how about a gift, but w/h a gift reciept that she could if need be return, exchange? What

stem

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 1:11 pm
Rolling Eyes Fine...
A gift recipt is always nice.

Chanie

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 2:21 pm
I bought a nice crystal wine bottle for the family I'm staying by. It's something useful for Pessach.... I hope they like it though. I'm also trying to think of something to give to their kids.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 3:24 pm
a new Pesach tablecloth!
thats what we always get, but this year I need a new idea...

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 3:42 pm
The problem w/h all these lovely gifts is 1) are you sure she doesn't have it already or 2) Will even use it?

wonder

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 5:18 pm
Nice clothes for the kids are always a great present for the mother!

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 5:27 pm
I'd want to pick the clothes, not my guest!

first of all, if you're going for the entire Pesach, I think you should definitely bring along your own matza. That's not as a gift, but just because matza is extremely expensive and why shouldn't you pay for it?

as far as a gift, what would I be happy to get? I'd be happy with a gift certificate to a Judaica store. As far as the amount, it's hard to say. You're going for the entire Pesach, and that's A LOT, but it depends on what you can afford to give. $100? $180?

And yes, it would be nice to buy toys/books for their children, in addition.

another thought - you can try to estimate how many pounds of matza you and the other family will eat and pay for ALL THE MATZA as your gift. You can say that you are bringing the matza, they should tell you how many pounds they need.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:09 pm
a new tablecloth is always a welcome gift because they stain easily especially by the sdarim. you just have to know what size table they have.

Motek

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:11 pm
staining is no problem for people, like myself, who use plastic to cover the tablecloth!

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:21 pm
Who doesn't use plastic on their tablecloths especially by pesach sedarim, otherwise it will look like makahs Dam b/4 the second cup shock

RedVines

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:28 pm
There is no judaica store here.

They have 3 girls so I am planning on getting the girls a huge necklace making kit.

We told them we will bring our own matzohs with no question! But they refuse "we are their guests"

Nice crystal is good idea...

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:30 pm
Quote:
otherwise it will look like makahs Dam b/4 the second cup

thats exactly what it looks like!
actually ive never been to a seder anywhere (2 places Very Happy only) where they cover the table with plastic. either we have a wipeable washeable one or just a tablecloth, very nice ones, I must say since I bought it..

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 6:35 pm
We have a nice one underneath and a see thru plastic on top, thought everyone used that? Confused .
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics