Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Q and A about Chaseedishe life
  Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 1:50 am
Yes I wouldn't mind driving sometimes but most of the time I'm glad when considering driving in NYC. But there are some people living in Monsey that drive because of Necessity. My husband isn't Satmar so he doesnt mind that I drive but I don't know if I'd ever go ahead and do it. It's not something at the top of my list and I did learn in Satmar after all.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 8:23 am
Quote:
Posted: Today at 1:45 am Post subject: re: How the Chaseedishe world 'dates'.

One more thing about Satmar. The women don't drive. Our rebbe was against women driving.

why???? wouldnjt that make ure liefe so much eaiser! Confused

gryp

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 10:15 am
Mindy, thank you for all the info!

Quote:
3) I really do not know much about bochurim's schedule nor about what they learn, as my oldest child is seven months old .

just btw, your Shimon Moshe is one day older than my Yankele Smile

Chaseedishe ladies here (all types)- is just sitting down on the couch with a sefer something you would do at all? I dont mean a Gemara or a Rambam, but an easier one- a kitzur shulchan aruch or a history of Chassidus book, or something like these. has anyone put together an easy sefer chassidus for kids, like we have "Ma'yan Chai" and "Please Tell Me What The Rebbe Says" and more.

ILOVELIFE-
Quote:
Mikva farin davenin is a must. Davening in stolin is a huge issue.
interesting!

Quote:
The Rebbe is VERY makpid that the men daven ONLY in stoliner shuls.

and what if youre out of town? is it better to daven alone or to daven in another shul?

Quote:
We have our own nussach

have you seen other nuschaos? which nussach would you say yours is closest too?

Quote:
and the men scream by davening.

they shout the words of davening? what is done during Shmone Esrei?

Quote:
yes. Bais Aharon and I forgot the other seforim.

do you mind getting back to me on that one? (please? Wink )
are they sitting on your bookshelf? or you would have to find out?

Quote:
The men have groups where they 'farbreng' and have a 'zitzing'. Each age group is divided into 'kitos'and they learn together and discuss self-improvement once a week. Bochurim have get togethers with their 'Achroiyi" (responsible for their spiritual issues). The bochurim also learn 'ohr hachayim'on the parsha every week with their Achroyi.

can you tell me more about this?
what are the age groups? do the younger ones never "farbreng" with an older chosid? is the once-a-week a set thing? is it usually on shabbos or a time like that? how many hours does it go for? how is one appointed to the status of an "Achroiyi"? why do they learn ohr hachayim as opposed to chassidus?
and youll probably guess my last question- Smile do they say lchaims to help them out?

a question for all Chassedishe ladies here- I honestly dont know, what is the attitude towards drinking when the occasion is right?

ILOVELIFE again:
Quote:
Our women are VERY involved in the chassidus but generally do not learn our sifrei chassidus inside. Most of the stoliner teachers will give over the lighter parts of the sefer to the girls in the course of a lesson on parsha , hashkafa and the like

how do the teachers quote chassidus lessons you learn in school? do they say for example: "the Bais Aharon says..." or do they simply say "Chassidus teaches us..."?
do you ever go past just learning the lighter parts of chassidus? is it unheard of for a woman to learn such things?
are most men in your group "baki" in chassidus?

Quote:
We speak yiddish with a Russian dialect as that 's where our chassidus originates from.

so if I hear someone on the street speaking a Yiddish that sounds familiar to me, its a good chance that whoevers speaking is from your group?
are there others you know of who also speak Yiddish with the Russian "accent"?

lucky:
Quote:
In Satmar the girls are only taught yiddish and english. So even if I open a sefer in loshon kodesh it is like french to me.

wow! (thanx for the shock Very Happy )
and thats a wonderful story about catching the bus.

Quote:
My husband and I do go out bowling and such but we wouldn't go out to a movie

amother, bowling and movies are hardly comparable!

about driving- how do you get around?

Last edited by gryp on Sun, Mar 26 2006, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:34 am
To GR - I just remembered that we did learn mussar. we had a quick oral shiur in pele yoetz every day.

To the person who wanted to know about intellectual stifling - there are many excellent seforim available for women in Yiddish and if a woman really wants to learn her husband can learn something easy with her. By being frowned at it was not during a torah discourse - it was during things like discussing chasidishe politics, world politics etc . When my father gives a dvar torah at the shabbos tish all us women listen, and during the seder he makes sure to include all us women in his divrei torah. I twas not divrei torah but worldly things that I meant.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:58 am
Quote:
Chaseedishe ladies here (all types)- is just sitting down on the couch with a sefer something you would do at all? I dont mean a Gemara or a Rambam, but an easier one- a kitzur shulchan aruch or a history of Chassidus book, or something like these. has anyone put together an easy sefer chassidus for kids, like we have "Ma'yan Chai" and "Please Tell Me What The Rebbe Says."

Of course. But all these sefarim are written in yiddish. There are lots of sefarim given out just for women to be able to read it. There are beautiful sefarim in yiddish that we read just like others sit down to read with a loshon kodesh sefer. The only difference is the language.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 2:44 pm
Blossom wrote:
Ilovelife Do your husbands wear Shtreimels?

I wrote above--no. The reason is up there.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 2:46 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
ILOVELIFE, where do they sell your very expensive meat?

Only via phone. A stoliner runs a farm and our dayan is the mashgiach for the shechita. Since he sells very little it is very expensive and can only be bought by the case. (I'm a cheater and I buy Rubashkin!) embarrassed

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 2:48 pm
southernbubby wrote:
ILoveLife, once a year the Stoliner Rebbe comes to Detroit with many chassidim. We live very close to the Bais Yaacov that the event is held in. If any of the chassidim are looking for a place to stay, you can pm me.

That's an amazing experiance and the Hachnosas Orchim in Detroit is one of a kind! My dh goes. They place ppl. when they go for shabbos but usually it's a one day thing.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 3:28 pm
GR wrote:

Chaseedishe ladies here (all types)- is just sitting down on the couch with a sefer something you would do at all? I dont mean a Gemara or a Rambam, but an easier one- a kitzur shulchan aruch or a history of Chassidus book, or something like these. has anyone put together an easy sefer chassidus for kids, like we have "Ma'yan Chai" and "Please Tell Me What The Rebbe Says" and more.

NO it's not foreign to me though BH I'm so busy these days that I resort to tapes (shalheves) while I work.

[quote="GR"]ILOVELIFE-
Quote:
The Rebbe is VERY makpid that the men daven ONLY in stoliner shuls.
and what if youre out of town? is it better to daven alone or to daven in another shul?

Yes, then they daven in another shul but my dh claims it's torture as the style is very different.

GR wrote:
Quote:
We have our own nussach

have you seen other nuschaos? which nussach would you say yours is closest too?

The actual nussach is basically very similar to the classic nussach sefard but it's got some additions. The style of davening the way u do it-- is unique.

GR wrote:
Quote:
and the men scream by davening.

they shout the words of davening? what is done during Shmone Esrei?

They shout the words of davening in a special nussach on tone ten. Shmone esrai is the only time there's quiet. Pesukei dizimra, amens are all thunderous. It's part of the way of our chassidus--serving Hashem with a lot of energy, simcha and yet like soldiers.

GR wrote:
Quote:
yes. Bais Aharon and I forgot the other seforim.

do you mind getting back to me on that one? (please? Wink )
are they sitting on your bookshelf? or you would have to find out?

I'd have to start combing my bookshelf.....

Quote:
The men have groups where they 'farbreng' and have a 'zitzing'. Each age group is divided into 'kitos'and they learn together and discuss self-improvement once a week. Bochurim have get togethers with their 'Achroiyi" (responsible for their spiritual issues). The bochurim also learn 'ohr hachayim'on the parsha every week with their Achroyi.

GR wrote:
can you tell me more about this?
what are the age groups? do the younger ones never "farbreng" with an older chosid? is the once-a-week a set thing? is it usually on shabbos or a time like that? how many hours does it go for? how is one appointed to the status of an "Achroiyi"? why do they learn ohr hachayim as opposed to chassidus?and youll probably guess my last question- Smile do they say lchaims to help them out?

Basically there is a Rosh Chabura. he's in charge of ALL the kitos. Bochurim, yungerlite etc. he appoints a responsible person as the achroyi --s/one who can share chassidus, is a role model, can listen and help out the boys in yiddishkeit, pick up if there are problems, learn one-on -one with some, arrange chizuk melave malka's etc. My dh is an achroyi so I can only talk from his experiance. He has a zitzing with his boys on Tuesdays. That is a time to discuss any spiritual issues, chasidishe issues, chizuk in davening, bein adom l'chaveiro etc. My dh is in his mid-twenties and his boys are 15. He got them when they were 13 and will IYH go through with them til they're 18 or so. then they form their own kita with no official achroyi. Thurs nights is an inyan in stolin to davka learn OHr Hachayim. Then they discuss a chasidishe insight that the achroyi prepares. Fri nights they farbreng after tish (we have tish w/out the rebbe too) and tell sipurei chassidim. L'chaim is only for married guys by farbrengens and only minimally.

GR wrote:
a question for all Chassedishe ladies here- I honestly dont know, what is the attitude towards drinking when the occasion is right?

I drink a bit of l'chaim Friday night but dh says no more than that! I love alcohol.....oh well! generally considered inappropriate by us for ladies to drink.

GR wrote:
ILOVELIFE again:
Quote:
Our women are VERY involved in the chassidus but generally do not learn our sifrei chassidus inside. Most of the stoliner teachers will give over the lighter parts of the sefer to the girls in the course of a lesson on parsha , hashkafa and the like

how do the teachers quote chassidus lessons you learn in school? do they say for example: "the Bais Aharon says..." or do they simply say "Chassidus teaches us..."?
do you ever go past just learning the lighter parts of chassidus? is it unheard of for a woman to learn such things?
are most men in your group "baki" in chassidus?

the Bais Aharon says....Our men are immersed in Chassidus.Very immersed I'd say. That is the general trademark of most Russian Chassidusin as opposed to Hungarian and Polish ones. The Russian Chassidusin (Stolin, Skver, Lubavitch) all are very into learning chasidus.and are completely botul to their Rebbe's teachings.

GR wrote:
Quote:
We speak yiddish with a Russian dialect as that 's where our chassidus originates from.

so if I hear someone on the street speaking a Yiddish that sounds familiar to me, its a good chance that whoevers speaking is from your group?
are there others you know of who also speak Yiddish with the Russian "accent"?

Generally it's Stolin and Lubavitch. Maybe Boyan also. Skver BP too. (a cousin to the skver'er Rebbe from N. Square)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 7:35 pm
I dont mean this to be rude im just really wondering.. is it true that in satmar one isnt suppose to own a computer? Confused

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 9:32 pm
Quote:
I dont mean this to be rude im just really wondering.. is it true that in satmar one isnt suppose to own a computer

Yup! We're all posting thru typewriters LOL

amother

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 9:36 pm
Quote:
I dont mean this to be rude im just really wondering.. is it true that in satmar one isnt suppose to own a computer?

You probably mean the internet Question ????
We are strongly encouraged not to have internet at home only strictly for business and only with a filter program installed. They even became a little stricter with it this year where every parent had to sign that they don't have internet at home (you had to get permission if you need it for business). Same idea as the internet ban in Lakewood.

lucky

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 2:13 pm
Quote:
GR wrote:

If you like wine, why not?

Quote:
GR wrote:

Chaseedishe ladies here (all types)- is just sitting down on the couch with a sefer something you would do at all? I dont mean a Gemara or a Rambam, but an easier one- a kitzur shulchan aruch or a history of Chassidus book, or something like these.

As a previous poster said, We have many beautiful seforim on mussar and chasidus. We don't learn gemara or Rambam per se, but we have seforim that quote what the rambam and others say. We also have many yiddish books for kids Stories of tzaddikim. In fact, telling stories of tzaddikim is a very important part of our shabbos table.

About learning Shulchan Aruch...We have it in yiddish. I just looked through my bookcase. I have a orech chaim chelek aleph, Hilchas Shabbos, and I know there is more available.

gryp

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 2:57 pm
thanx to everyone who answered my questions.

Quote:
If you like wine, why not?

I didnt quite mean wine. Wink
for the men, whats the attitude towards drinking mashke?
you know how Lubavitch drinks by farbrengens, simchas torah, and purim. whats it like in other Chaseedishe groups?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 3:03 pm
wetting your lips isn't "drinking". nor is a sip of kiddush.

lucky

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 3:06 pm
Quote:
for the men, whats the attitude towards drinking mashke?
you know how Lubavitch drinks by farbrengens, simchas torah, and purim. whats it like in other Chaseedishe groups?

Simchas Torah and Purim are both occasions where drinking is done. Otherwise, except for wine on shabbos,Yom tov. It is mostly only l'chaims. Not 'drinking'

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 4:52 pm
Simchas Torah and Purim is heavy drinking by us. Shabbos and yom tov is l'chaim and farbrengens s/times have l'chaims too.(esp Fri night)

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:21 am
Quote:
They even became a little stricter with it this year where every parent had to sign that they don't have internet at home

so people who also use it for other things besides for buisness are lying?? shock

amother

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:51 pm
Quote:
Quote:
They even became a little stricter with it this year where every parent had to sign that they don't have internet at home

Quote:
so people who also use it for other things besides for buisness are lying??

No, because they use it for business. . I work at home on my computer and then go to a few other sites to visit like Imamother obviously Smile and some kids clothing websites let's say.
Do I have internet to be able to go on imamother and shopping? No, I have it because I need it for my business. If I go to other websites too is not contradicting that I need and have internet for my business.
We are requested to have a filter program if we do have it at home. I have tried 2 that I didn't like, so far I'm still shopping around for a satisfactory one.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 12:20 pm
Here's a good filter I found, maybe it will work for you:
http://www.safeeyes.com/
Page 2 of 11   Previous  1  2  3   9  10  11  Next Recent Topics