Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Looking for the most delicious NON-chocolate cake recipe!
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 7:27 pm
alwaybhappy wrote:
this is really the best cake!! and it's pretty easy.

~~cinnamon swirl "pound" cake~~

cake:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. orange juice

cinn, mixture:
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar

crumbs:
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil

mix cake ingredients
pour 1/3 of the batter into a tube/bundt pan
sprinkle 1/2 cinn. mixture
pour another 1/3 of the batter
sprinkle rest of cinn mixture
pour rest of batter
sprinkle crumbs on top
bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour

I make the cinn mix and crumbs in plastic bowls so I don't have so many bowls to wash. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Once I did it I realized that it was really simple and easy and I even made it again.
Enjoy!

I made it today and it was a huge hit. Thanks!

questioner

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:26 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:
etky wrote:
The yellow cake recipe from the Kosher Palette is my go-to recipe except that I beat the eggs and sugar first for about 2 minutes until fluffy, then add the liquid ingredients (I add more vanilla, up to 2 Tblsp.) and then the dry ingredients. I also usually add 1 package of instant vanilla pudding with the dry ingredients. The beauty of the recipe is that it can be varied in infinite ways. I have made lemon cake (adding lemon peel and lemon pudding), orange cake (w/ orange peel), choc. chip cake, marble cake (by adding some cocoa and almond extract to a bit of the batter), apple cake, crumb cake, maple walnut cake, cinnamon cake, coconut cake, etc. My latest twist on this cake was lemon poppyseed cake with a lemon glaze that I gave out for Mishoach Manot on Purim. I generally bake the batter in 3 loaf pans (called English Cake pans in Israel). I mix in the added flavorings (extracts, spices, citrus rind, fruit, choc, chips, nuts, coconut, crumb topping etc.) to the basic batter right in the pan so that each cake a different flavor. Then I freeze the cakes that I won't be using immediately. I always keep a stock in the freezer. It's nice that I can pull them out whenever I need them and even put together a cake platter with 2 or 3 different cakes (from the same recipe!) at a moments notice.

BRILLIANT!

How do you make the lemon poppyseed variation?

cy

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 7:53 pm
If this goes in a bundt pan and the crumbs are on top of the batter - does that mean the crumbs are supposed to be at the bottom of the cake? can I just make this in a 9 x 13 so the crumbs land up on top of the cake?

underthestars

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 1:10 am
Blueberry Muffin,

Would you mind posting the recipe for the yellow cake from the Kosher Palette? I don't have it and am interested in checking it out. Since I can no longer eat chocolate, I am looking for new dessert recipes (everything before had chocolate in it!)

shanie5

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 7:12 pm
Here it is:

Yellow cake from kosher palette:

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking powder (yes not teaspoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oil
1 cup Orange juice (I use soy milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Add the rest till well blended. 9x13 pan. bake 325 for 50 minutes or till done.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 7:14 pm
cy wrote:
If this goes in a bundt pan and the crumbs are on top of the batter - does that mean the crumbs are supposed to be at the bottom of the cake? can I just make this in a 9 x 13 so the crumbs land up on top of the cake?
Yeah, it didn't make too much sense to me. I made it, left off the crumbs. You can drizzle icing also if you want.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 7:15 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Here it is:

Yellow cake from kosher palette:

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon Baking powder (yes not teaspoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oil
1 cup Orange juice (I use soy milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Add the rest till well blended. 9x13 pan. bake 325 for 50 minutes or till done.
I make this every so often. When I had a non-chocolate eater at my house a few months ago, I made this with sprinkles inside to make it fun for my kids...I also made a frosting up with some juice in it (to match the flavor of the cake) and it was yum.

tsiggelle

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 7:41 pm
I have a very easy delicious cake. I do it in one bowl with a hand blender (to make it lighter) but I dont separate the eggs, nor do I whisk it.

my cups are 180 ml
my packets are 10grams iirc.

you start with the eggs, all together in the bowl and then add one by one

6 eggs. when they are frothy and rise in volume;
1 and a half cups sugar when combined;
1 and a half cups oil when combined;
2 packets vanilla sugar when combined;
1 packet baking powder when combined;
2 cups flour. careful when mixing not to let the flour fly out of the bowl

optional, add a pinch of salt between the baking powder and flour.

bake for 20 minutes on 200 degrees celcius. without opening the oven in between. then check with toothpick in the center. take it out of the oven as soon as it comes out dry. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
it should rise to double the height ( I use a disposable baking tin that is 9x12 inches, and 3inches high (approx- I went to measure it now and I have used it a lot so it stretched a little, but I think that originally it was those measurements.)

when the cake has cooled, wrap it and freeze.

sbs

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 6:48 am
alwaybhappy wrote:
this is really the best cake!! and it's pretty easy.

~~cinnamon swirl "pound" cake~~

cake:
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
3 c. flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. orange juice

cinn, mixture:
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar

crumbs:
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil

mix cake ingredients
pour 1/3 of the batter into a tube/bundt pan
sprinkle 1/2 cinn. mixture
pour another 1/3 of the batter
sprinkle rest of cinn mixture
pour rest of batter
sprinkle crumbs on top
bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour

I make the cinn mix and crumbs in plastic bowls so I don't have so many bowls to wash. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Once I did it I realized that it was really simple and easy and I even made it again.
Enjoy!

when you do it in a bundt pan you do it in this order meaning the crumbs are on the bottom when it's turned over?
or do you put the crumbs in first so they come out on top?
can this cake be mixed in a bowl instead of a mixer?

alwaybhappy

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 8:57 am
I don't turn the cake over. We eat it straight out of the pan
I did not use a mixer-only in a bowl by hand

almost

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 2:52 pm
I think that the baking pan terminology is what's confusing.
A bundt pan is one piece and you turn the cake upside down so the pretty bumps are on the top of the cake.
A tube pan is 2 pieces - the round outside and then a piece that is the bottom of the pan and the middle piece that make the hole in the center of the cake. After you bake the cake in a tube pan, you gently pull the center out and take the cake off the bottom and put it on a cake plate for serving. If you make the cake with a tube pan, the crumb topping with end up on top and will look pretty.

sbs

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 3:23 pm
so if I'm using a bundt pan
it would make sense for me to put the crumbs in first and then layer the batter and cinnamon mixture
this way when I turn it over, the crumbs will be on top
I will try it this way, and we'll see what happens

almost

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 5:05 pm
Let us know how it turns out!

It should taste good but the crumbs will probably become part of the cake. Since it's not exposed to the air it will not remain crumbs. But if you ask me, as long as it tastes good and looks nice, it's great! Smile

sbs

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 5:47 pm
ok, so here's the story with the crumbs going into the bundt pan first to come out on top

first of all, the mixture wasn't crumbly, it was globby, it pretty much just covered the bottom of the bundt pan almost like a dough

then I put the layers on top

when I turned it over, it looked really cool
the crumb mixture was tan and the rest of the cake was brown, so there was this ring around the whole top of the cake that was a light color,

didn't taste it yet, so hope it tastes good....

spinkles

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 6:03 am
Thanks for the cinnamon swirl cake recipe--I made it this morning (without the crumb topping) and it's delicious. My kids love it. I would probably reduce the sugar a bit next time as it's a bit sweet for my taste, but the flavor is great. This is a winner!

spinkles

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 7:11 am
Wanted to add that I didn't use cocoa powder. It isn't needed.

willow

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 7:36 am
I just made it with a regular pan and it is delicious. Thank you

nature

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 10:16 am
How much cocoa in the crumbs. Tsp or cups?

sbs

Post Fri, Aug 17 2012, 10:17 am
tsp.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins