Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Did you have a bridal shower?
1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 1:52 am
I was just wondering how popular this really is.

Did you all have a bridal shower? Or is this just something that is done in some communities and not others? or do some gals out there not even want them.

I totally did not want a bridal shower and most of my friends were coming into the area just for the wedding so nobody would have been there anyway for a shower, maybe four ppl, so I did not have one anyway. I was just wondering if I was weird or there were others out there that did not have one or want one either.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 1:53 am
I think it's an American thing.

I didn't have one and I was living in Israel at the time.

Mishie

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 2:00 am
I had one.
My really good friend organized the whole thing.
It was the week before my wedding.
I really enjoyed myself. and it gave my Mom and me a little break from all the wedding preparations, a chance to sit back and relax...

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 3:45 am
I don't think it's entirely an American thing. We made one (in Jerusalem) for my former roommate and another friend as well. I would have liked to have one, but no one offered.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:16 am
I didn't have one. I felt bad about it, but most of my friends were married and had moved away by the time my turn came around. That's how it goes. It's the first ones to get married get everything.

yiddishenachas

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:29 am
I had a shower like two weeks before my wedding. I was supposedly going to learn together with my married friend at her house and found all my friends there. I was shocked shock . It was really special.

my wedding was in Israel, that's why they gave me money instead of buying thins. oh, and they each chipped in for a plane ticket so one of them can fly in for my wedding (she was chosen by goiral) I was very touched by it

pinktichel

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:42 am
After trying to arrange one for one of my friends, I realized how hard it was to get people to give money (I hate asking, even for someone else) so two of us practically sponsored the whole thing. When my turn came around, I told them not to do it for me and they were glad!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 5:43 am
I had two wedding showers, one that my friends gave me, and one from my mother's and grandmother's friends.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:53 am
I sure did! I had two! I almost had three!

My parents and in laws did nothing for the wedding and we were so in debt, anything that anyone did for us was greatly appreciated!

cindy324

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 10:57 am
Yep, I had one. I kinda knew that it was going to be that night, but I thought it was going to be at my other friend's house. So when my friend who was supposed to go with me there, asked me if we could stop by her house so she can change, I didn't think anything of it. Boy, was I shocked when I walked in and heard "SURPRISE".

It was really nice, I got most of my kitchen appliances then. I got a toaster, a toaster oven, an iron, ironing board, cordless phone, food processor etc.

Flowerchild

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 11:02 am
I had one, and my "good friend" who made it didnt know how to keep it quiet or how to suprise me well enough so my husband had to make up the suprise factor. my friend asked him to drive me to the place but he knew that if he did that I would figure it out. so he inlisted my mother to take me on a little pretend outting. basically she came up with a story that she needs to go to a friends house to drop something off and after that we will go to eat out together. I was completely duped and my mom was sooo good at keeping it a secret that I was more shocked at her ability then the actual shower. it was a nice suprise but the party itself was pretty depressing.

ny21

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 6:30 pm
I had one , it was a long time ago

people bought us pots and pans from macys

my frum cousins came to it.

my cousin recently had one she REGISTERed all her gifts

I---------- think bloomingdales has special deals if you register with them.
I heard a story on tv of a women returning all the gifts she registered
for at bloomies and bought funiture with it

supermom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 1:52 am
That is a litttle odd.

I had two showers one in israel and one in america. Personally I would have loved a bedroom shower.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 2:56 am
I've never even heard of it... we just had a wedding list, or people sent gifts/money or brought them to the wedding...

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 4:23 am
Ruchel wrote:
I've never even heard of it... we just had a wedding list, or people sent gifts/money or brought them to the wedding...

so this confirms my suspision that a bridal shower is not as popular as I thought and that it may be an american thing, carried over to other countries with americans there. interesting.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 5:27 am
momoftwins wrote:

I---------- think bloomingdales has special deals if you register with them.
I heard a story on tv of a women returning all the gifts she registered
for at bloomies and bought funiture with it

That's generally why people register. A) they can get the gifts they need and are not left with FOUR wine fountains and B) they can return stuff and get either store credit or cash back (BB&B used to give cash back, I think they're trying to phase that out).

I returned a good portion of my gifts and bought a laptop.

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 5:51 am
I got married in America and did not have a shower. We did receive gifts at our l'chaim which coming from Israel was a little foreign to me.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 6:06 am
in my shul(middle-upper class) the more money you have, the more showers you have!! go figure.

it's standard to have a shower for each girl who's family is part of the community.

as the rabbi's daughter, I did have one. I registred, bed bath and beyond, and got a lot of stuff. I later retuurned a lot, and rebought it in the city I was moving to.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 6:11 am
I registered at Bed Bath and Beyond and all my mothers friends bought me most of the things I needed. I didnt get much with regard to presents or money from the in laws side, so I was very grateful.
(and I sent thank you cards!!!!)

momof2

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 6:14 am
I also had two showers. My class made me a shower..they all chipped in and bought one big thing..and then I also had a gorgeous shower arranged by my mothers friends. bh I got so much stuff!! plus, we got doubles of things and returned so much that we got money back to buy more. I was registerd at bed bath and beyond and macys. it was a hostess and regular shower..meaning there were maybe 15/16 hostesses and a lot of other guests.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics