Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
ISO simple Rosh haShana dishes

Frum

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 10:17 am
Because of family circumstances we wont be hosting guests this Rosh haShana. We will just be DH, me, toddler and infant. Any ideas for simple but festive dishes that freeze well? We will have lekach and apple sauce (already done), chicken in honey (Second night) and beef in sauce (first night). I am planning to make a cherry crumble and pumpkinsoup too, but now I am out of inspiration. Any ideas for simple fish/milchig/parve lunch dishes?

Thanks a lot!

naomi2

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 7:33 pm
vegetable kugel (any kind) in muffin tins. and thats all for now

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 8:25 pm
I'm doing one milky/fish lunch. Salad/dips or soup as the first course. For soup I'd do potato leek soup or mushroom soup. Basically sautee vegetables and onion, add 1cup water and soup mix, simmer till soft, add 1 cup milk (after everything is cooked, to avoid curdling), adjust seasoning and blend/puree in a hand blender.

For main, I'd do baked salmon (you can slather bbq sauce, or keep it simple with just squeeze of lemon and chopped herbs like dills or parsley). Or fried fish (cut white flesh fish in bite size, coat with beaten egg, breadcrumbs and pan-fry).

You can make side dish parve so they can be served for both dinner and lunch. Baked potato, Baked sweet potato, pasta salad, that kind of things for starch, steamed broccoli, carrot salad, coleslaw for veggies.

You can just have ice cream and fruits for dessert--you can put some sauce or chopped fruits or whipped cream to make it festive. Or tiramisu--place storebought lady finger biscuits in glass dish, soak with strong and sweetened coffee (Nescafe will do), cover with sweetened mascarpone (I use 1/2 mascarpone and 1/2 greek yogurt). Repeat layer 1-2 more times, sprinkle the top with cocoa powder. Chill for at least 2-3hours before serving. You can make it boozy with coffee or sabra liquor.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 9:26 pm
Lemon Garlic Salmon (based on cookkosher's famous salmon recipe)

-1 1/4 lbs. salmon fillets
-1/4 cup lemon juice
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-2 garlic cloves, crushed
-1 1/4 - 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (much less if using regular salt)
-1/4 tsp coarse black pepper

Soak salmon in lemon juice for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
Arrange tightly packed in a greased baking pan.
Combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over salmon.
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 degrees, for 18-20 minutes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Dec 22 2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 9:47 pm
I buy bags of frozen snap peas and warm them up. Nothing could be simpler, and we all like it as a warm, healthy side dish!

Also, put potatoes and carrots into the pan when you roast your meat = instant extra side dish!

Frum

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 10:20 am
Great ideas!!! I am becoming all inspired. Anymore ideas? I am going shopping be"H tomorrow :-)

racz

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:05 pm
For Milchig-
Barley Mushroom soup
Blitz Souffle' (I use a 2 package of frozen blitzes)
Gefilte fish (can do for parve too)

Tuna souffle

Pareve or meat-
Salads with tuna or salmon (there are bunch of recipes on Ima mother)

Hash browns (I make fresh on yom tov)
Ratouille (make on yom tov)
Mash potatoes

racz

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:06 pm
also for milchig
Macaroni bake or ziti or lasgane?

Amital

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 2:21 pm
Depending on how simple you want to get, you could do an assortment of bagels and toppings. We're doing that as an alternate main for our dairy lunch. Or a cheese and cracker tray (more of a side, I think).

I'm also making a cheesy lasagna, but I considered doing a make-your-own-burrito station: tortillas, beans, rice, cheese, salsa, chips, guacamole, etc. You could do pasta with different sauces (tomato, alfredo, garlic peanut), too.

nycgal

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:37 pm
chicken deli wraps

10 ready (frozen yitzys-blue package) dough squares
10 small thin pieces of chicken cutlet
turkey or pastrami(or both)
2 eggs beaten

marinate chicken in oil and spices(garlic, black pepper, paprika, chicken soup mix)

when dough is defrosted but still cold, place a little egg in center and then 1-2 slices cold cuts diagonally across. put 1 piece chicken diagonally the other direction above the deli. wrap the sides with the deli over the chicken(mezuzah style)

brush with some more egg an sesame seeds if desired.

bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes

can be frozen after preparing and baked on yomtov

nycgal

Post Mon, Sep 26 2011, 5:45 pm
sorry just realized you weren't asking for fleshig but what I posted above is really yum if u wanna make it for another meal Smile

Frum

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 10:43 am
Thanks everyone, you saved my yomtov cooking this year!

Kesiva wechasima tova,

Frum

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 11:06 am
One pot dishes - like fish with broiled veggies, fish or chicken ratatoulle , and chicken baked with rice or potatoes.

Why do you want to freeze food?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus