Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Handme downs
Previous  1  2  3  Next

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:28 am
Quote:
hey I don't have to be perfect ALL the time do I

of course u don't for some of us it just comes naturally... Wink

Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:28 am
you are perfect all the time, with or without spelling mistakes Wink

hope you will have a good rest - take care and be well!

IM-MA

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:39 am
I used to get clothes for myself at second-hand stores, but then I started thinking that it's a mitzva for a husband to provide his wife with clothes, especially for yomtov . I also read that if a husband provides well for his wife, it can help increase his parnossa. However,if someone gives me clothes, I won't turn it down.

deedee

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:41 am
feet and genitals are areas that are more prone to bactirial infections. yeast infections, athleats foot...not stuff I would trust a washing machine to completely sterlize!
just the thought of wearing used undies is gross!

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:44 am
Quote:
but then I started thinking that it's a mitzva for a husband to provide his wife with clothes, especially for yomtov

no reason that we have to make his job harder, by buying more expensive clothes?

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:50 am
Micki and pearl and deedee and 1st timer and everyone incl myself ofcourse, are right I think Very Happy

Undergarments incl socks and tights I would draw the line incl swimwear .Yes basically anything that comes in direct contact w/h the skin.
Sarahd so what line did u come up w/h when someone asked you where you got it LOL LOL

rydys

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 11:40 am
Quote:
I never told anyone where I got my nice stuff, which led to many a merry tale

Why not? When I was growing up, we used to compare outfits to see who got theirs the cheapest. Today everyone wants the most expensive one.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 12:21 pm
I love used clothing its the best. I actually miss it. I t was so much fun shopping. I used to shop at used clothing stores all the time that I didn't know how to shop at a store that sold new clothing. It was so wierd that I could get the shirt in another size.

I do say no to underwear, socks and bathing suits.

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 1:44 pm
Quote:
not stuff I would trust a washing machine to completely sterlize!

if you go to a hotel do you use there towels, bed linen etc. also in a hospital with bed sheets.

I think the reason is because the thought grosses us out.

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 1:57 pm
freilich wrote:
Sarahd so what line did u come up w/h when someone asked you where you got it LOL LOL

I would say, "oh, you know I do most of my shopping in Daffy's and Syms." It usually worked. Othewise I would say, "Oh, I got it on Madison Avenue, don't remember which shop (which was usually true - there are a few consignment shops on Madison and I would try to forget where I got what.)"

deedee

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:02 pm
Quote:
if you go to a hotel do you use there towels, bed linen etc. also in a hospital with bed sheets.

as far as I know they use very hot water (hotter then our washing machines can get) so that linens get sterilized.

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:03 pm
it's a shame sara that u felt u had to lie. it's a shame that society puts a stigma on living cheaply. we would be so much better off if society put the same stigma on living above what we can afford and living in debt.

<steps of soapbox>

deedee

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:14 pm
amen!
I feel the same way about health food stores. why does healthy food (organic) have to be so expensive???? everyone go shopping at healthfood stores so they will be forced to lower their prices!! Twisted Evil

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:19 pm
its a catch 22 situation Smile

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:47 pm
1stimer wrote:
it's a shame sara that u felt u had to lie.

Hey, I thought I was getting away without lying!!! Both versions of what I said were the truth. Just not the whole truth. Very Happy

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:50 pm
sorry sarahd - it's a shame u didn't feel comfortable telling ppl where u shopped Tongue Out

still friends? Yes

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 2:53 pm
Quote:
as far as I know they use very hot water (hotter then our washing machines can get) so that linens get sterilized

Twisted Evil So u hope or so u'r told Tongue Out

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:10 pm
when I was youngeri f I didnt want to tell ppl it was hand me down I would tell when asked ithat the clothing was from where the tag said

chabadnick

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 6:23 pm
a kid in my classroom,,,was wearing the cutest costume....her mother bought at a second hand store for 5.00 dollars..if u can find something nice...why not??

Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 1:38 am
hey chabadnick, long time no see! how are you?!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics