Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Suggestions for Israeli girls' names
1  2  Next

mothergoose77

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:37 pm
Hi

we're BT MO - we are expecting our 3rd child, but though we have a few ideas for a boys' names, we're stuck on girls' names (so dafka it'll be a girl!) I like Israeli names, but am looking for something modern, though so far, DH and I have not really agreed on anything!

I like:
Noa
Zahava
Tikva (not sure about this one - is it a bit crazy? it's the only one of my suggestions that I've never actually heard used as a name!)
Maya
Efrat
Ayala/ Ayelet (though we already have a Naftali - is it a bit weird to have a Naftali and an Ayelet?? they both mean the same thing)

just wondered if anyone had any comments on any of these, or any suggestions in the same vein?? these are for first names - we would definitely name for a relative for the middle name (and could use more than one) - likely middle names would be Rivka, Ruth or Esther.

all suggestions gratefully considered!! Take care all :-)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:47 pm
mothergoose77 wrote:
Hi

we're BT MO - we are expecting our 3rd child, but though we have a few ideas for a boys' names, we're stuck on girls' names (so dafka it'll be a girl!) I like Israeli names, but am looking for something modern, though so far, DH and I have not really agreed on anything!

I like:
Noa very overused in certain age groups and if you aren't in Israel, risks being mistaken for the male Noah but if you like it - why not
Zahava old fashioned. Very.
Tikva (not sure about this one - is it a bit crazy? it's the only one of my suggestions that I've never actually heard used as a name!) quite a normal name but old fashioned - not used much if at all any more but if you like it - why not
Maya It's not really Israeli. It's an acronym for Milchemet Yom HaKippurim or it's an Eastern European name, but if you like it - why not
Efrat Not a personal favorite and overused, like Noa but if you like it - why not
Ayala/ Ayelet (though we already have a Naftali - is it a bit weird to have a Naftali and an Ayelet?? they both mean the same thing) Both very common and I don't think it's weird to have a Naftali and and Ayelet. Naftali Ayala shlucha, but Naftali does NOT mean deer/gazelle, just that he resembles one.

just wondered if anyone had any comments on any of these, or any suggestions in the same vein?? these are for first names - we would definitely name for a relative for the middle name (and could use more than one) - likely middle names would be Rivka, Ruth or Esther.

all suggestions gratefully considered!! Take care all :-)

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 1:59 pm
I like all these names!

roze22

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 2:10 pm
We have a Maya and a Noa. One gets strange looks from Israelis and the other gets strange looks from Americans....

Other names we liked:
Avital
Zohara (Zoe)
Noga
Tzofia
Talia

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 2:41 pm
roze22 wrote:
We have a Maya and a Noa. One gets strange looks from Israelis and the other gets strange looks from Americans....Other names we liked:
Avital
Zohara (Zoe)
Noga
Tzofia
Talia

Which one gets weird looks from Israelis? Both are very, very common names here. Some people say Maya is a take on mayim (water) or 'water of G-d'.

I agree with Tamiri's assessment on the other names, except for Efrat which really is no longer all that common, certainly nowhere near the Noa situation. (Efrat is probably more common among young women than preschoolers).

shalhevet

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 2:50 pm
Where do you live? If you live in Israel, don't use Zahava or Tikva because they are very dated. I think Tikva is exclusively Sephardi.

My favourite of the list is Ayala. Ayala is the name of the Shechina. - I don't think it is at all weird to have a Naftali and an Ayala/Ayelet. You have to think deeply to see the connection and even if someone does they will just think it is sweet.

We actually called two children with the same source of name and only realized later (think Yaakov and Yisrael, but not that) - the names don't sound alike and no one has ever commented.

spring13

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 2:55 pm
from among my MO Israeli cousins' (and their children) names, the ones I like best (and think would sound more or less normal in MO crowds in America and Israel alike, if that matters to you) include

Moriah
Maayan
Raaya
Meital
Ora
Tamar
Emunah
Hadas
Tal/Talia

roze22

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:23 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
roze22 wrote:
We have a Maya and a Noa. One gets strange looks from Israelis and the other gets strange looks from Americans....Other names we liked:

Talia

Which one gets weird looks from Israelis? Both are very, very common names here. Some people say Maya is a take on mayim (water) or 'water of G-d'.

Maybe it depends on where you are. Most people I talk to think it is just a Russian name, and think its not "jewish" enough. It has started becoming more popular though. Ive heard lots of meanings for the name, from water to from G-d.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 4:40 pm
My newest Israeli not charedi cousins:

Eyal m
Erga
Yair
Yonatan
Michael
Odaya
Asaf
Haleli f
Ofer
Hila
Maayan
Alon
Noa
Elimelech
Odaya
Hallel f
Adel
Lia
Meir
Nachman
Ora
Eliasav
Amichai
Tair f

mothergoose77

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 4:57 pm
wow... thanks for all these suggestions!! good to know... had no idea that zahava or tikva were dated, or that noa was so common, or that maya wasn't even an israeli/ jewish name! some other lovely suggestions in the lists too, but I'm veering towards ayala or ayelet now! (but just have to convince hubby!)

tzofia, mayaan and avital are all beautiful too... hmmm... will need to get thinking cap on. (got a few weeks left though).

anyway - now I've had so much feedback, and have a few new suggestions, we're bound to fall in love with one of these names totally... and dafka it'll be a boy!

thank you ladies :-)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 5:01 pm
Maya is aramaic for water (related to mayim).

nylon

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:15 pm
Maya is also a popular Hindu name. Sometimes I wonder if some secular Jews got it that way.

I like Noa, but it does top the charts in Israel--or did a couple of years ago, anyway.

I know a Zohara, but no Zahavas (little girls, I mean, not adults)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:29 pm
I have MO acquaintances who have a toddler Zahava. In Israel. But she was named Golda at shul, Zahava is on the papers.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 7:51 pm
I named my daughter Zahava because I like the name however, I live in New York not Israel.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:07 pm
We named our daughter Merav, and love the name. Many people (including those not familiar at all with Hebrew names) commented that it was a pretty name. We are MO as well.

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:29 pm
Dd is avital. What about dahlia or tiferet or einav?

Yearoldmother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:42 pm
Some of my faves:

Avital
Noa
Noga
Hadar
Maayan
And I love the names Ayala and ayelet so good luck convincing him!!

thankyou

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:54 am
There are lots of LIYAs here in israel lately...zahava is dated- I agree. I know TIKVA but yes in israel its not so great. In NY though its cute.
Dalia is a cute Israeli name.
I actually know a few MAYAs- nothing not israeli about it, even if the origin is aramic.
Also MIYA.
Good luck!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:54 am
Here are other names that sound "Israeli and young" to me and that I saw on kids, bear in mind they may well be dated in fact in Israel!

Ilana, Lior(a), Gal(it), Tal(I)(a), Galia, Aviva, Shana, Shanael, Shirel, Ilanit, Or(a), Gila, Meital, Yafa, Yafit, Shifra, Shani, Smadar, Oria, Orit, Odelia, Sarit, Racheli, Ruti, Keshet, Shira, Shiri, Ortal, Rina, Chedva, Noga, Ronit, Adi, Shoham, Gili, Gitit, Reut, Achva, Marom, Roni, Yona, Yonit, Lital, Keren, Hila, Natali (I was told this also has a Hebrew meaning), Shirli (most names who have also an English meaning), Galila, Sinaia, Hermona, Tsiona, Ofra, Sariti, Ahava, Ahuva, Yotal, Ava, Orna, Achinoam, Eden, Edna, Noa, Noam, Igaella, Yaela, Avivit, Tair, Tzahala, Dror, Natania, Herzlia, Ditsa, Hallel, Kalanit, Ella, Ilona, Shachar, Neila

A modern list here: http://www.morim.com/prenomsf.htm

(yes I'm bored)

chanchy123

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 5:16 am
Ruchel wrote:
Here are other names that sound "Israeli and young" to me and that I saw on kids, bear in mind they may well be dated in fact in Israel!

Ilana, Lior(a), Gal(it), Tal(I)(a), Galia, Aviva, Shana, Shanael, Shirel, Ilanit, Or(a), Gila, Meital, Yafa, Yafit, Shifra, Shani, Smadar, Oria, Orit, Odelia, Sarit, Racheli, Ruti, Keshet, Shira, Shiri, Ortal, Rina, Chedva, Noga, Ronit, Adi, Shoham, Gili, Gitit, Reut, Achva, Marom, Roni, Yona, Yonit, Lital, Keren, Hila, Natali (I was told this also has a Hebrew meaning), Shirli (most names who have also an English meaning), Galila, Sinaia, Hermona, Tsiona, Ofra, Sariti, Ahava, Ahuva, Yotal, Ava, Orna, Achinoam, Eden, Edna, Noa, Noam, Igaella, Yaela, Avivit, Tair, Tzahala, Dror, Natania, Herzlia, Ditsa, Hallel, Kalanit, Ella, Ilona, Shachar, Neila

A modern list here: http://www.morim.com/prenomsf.htm

(yes I'm bored)

I couldn't go through all those names, but most of them are very dated.

Anyhow, Zohara, is an old fashioned name, but it might work today in more of retro typr of thing.

Tikva and Zehava, are not only dated, but no offense, they sound harsh to an Israeli ear, and most Israelis would avoid these names (I don't know if I'm making any sense).

Ayala is a beautiful name and very common among Chareidi circles here (like Noa in the general public), less overused in MO communities, a great name in my opinion (but Chareidi community is less diversified in names so it doesn't make a difference).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names