Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you make from scratch?
1  2  3  4  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 7:37 am
I want to hear different things that people make from scratch, and I am not talking about a cake or chicken in place of bought things. I am talking about things like mayo, ketchup, chutney, condiments and the like.
I have time to be making things and I would love to try to make things from scratch (to be healthier and to possibly save some money.

I already know how to make mayo from scratch so any other things. Thanks Smile

Liba

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 7:50 am
I can't think of too many things right now, but I don't buy all that much so there must be more, but tortillas, gfilta fish and pickles are generally home made here.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 7:54 am
Liba wrote:
I can't think of too many things right now, but I don't buy all that much so there must be more, but tortillas, gfilta fish and pickles are generally home made here.
oh, tortilla, that sounds like a good one. We buy raps, so that is something that I can for sure learn to make Smile and pickles, of course, how could I forget that, my mother used to always make them. Thank you Very Happy

yaelinIN

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:21 am
Here's a good recipe for tortillas.

Tortillas

I sub some whole wheat for white flour -- never tried making them 100% WW.

wif

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:24 am
Croutons, tomato sauce, cream cheese (from gevinat lavana, not really from scratch) bread, pickles off the top of my head.

My mother used to make sprouts and yogurt.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:26 am
wif wrote:
Croutons, tomato sauce, cream cheese (from gevinat lavana, not really from scratch) bread, pickles off the top of my head.

cool! croutons, thats a neat one. Ill try that. Smile

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
wif wrote:

cool! croutons, thats a neat one. Ill try that. Smile
I once posted that I started making croutons and the ladies here informed me that as opposed to store-bought, home made croutons need a hamotzi. The book confirmed that.

nylon

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:29 am
I've made jam. It's worth it if you can get the fruit at a good price, or if (like me) you like lower sugar jam--commercial "low sugar" jam just has fruit juice concentrate instead.

I always buy ketchup (it must be Heinz!) but I've experimented with BBQ sauce; still looking for that perfect combination of sweet and tangy. Trying to think of odder things I've made... I did my own ricotta, which was really easy, and didn't water out like the supermarket kind. I've never tried making rennet based cheeses, though I know you can buy kosher vegetable rennet on-line.

Depending on prices, ingredients etc, homemade isn't always a money saver--though if you're comparing price to quality it generally wins, which is my usual reason for making things (that or I can't find what I want).

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:32 am
Salatim (matboucha, carrots etc.), pickles (see Seraph's blog: cukes, assorted veggies, cabbages), challa, cakes, charif, hilbeh, lachuch. I want to start grinding my own beef for ground meat. Vanilla.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:34 am
Tamiri wrote:
Salatim (matboucha, carrots etc.), pickles (see Seraph's blog: cukes, assorted veggies, cabbages), challa, cakes, charif, hilbeh, lachuch. I want to start grinding my own beef for ground meat. Vanilla.
I dont even know what those are, but your list sounds great.
vanilla - if I baked more I would make that too. Does it stand for a long time or does it go off quickly?

Liba

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

vanilla - if I baked more I would make that too. Does it stand for a long time or does it go off quickly?

IME the longer it stands the better it is. It is mostly alcohol so it doesn't go bad.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:40 am
Liba wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

IME the longer it stands the better it is. It is mostly alcohol so it doesn't go bad.
That is great to know.

Wow, all of these things to make from scratch are wonderful. Health wise, I am so looking forward to starting the from scratch thing. Very Happy

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:47 am
Salatim.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 8:49 am
Ok, for the fewe who wrote salatim, which ones. I dont make too many to begin with, but I make cucumber, cole slaw and regular veggie salad. I dont ever buy ready made salatim, but always good to hear what others make as well.

mandksima

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:05 am
These are things I make all of the time:

ice cream and sorbets
all dressings, marinades and sauces
pizza dough
bread crumbs
different salatim like baba ganouche, turkish salad
I make mayo too but only for baking with (raw eggs)

I forgot about pickles, I have to start that up again

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
I dont even know what those are, but your list sounds great.
hilbeh is the yummy fenugreek foam that teimanim put on their soup. A small "salat" container cost ~5 nis last time I bought it. For 5 nis I can make enough hilbeh to fill about 10 of those containers, I think. Lachuch is a Yemenite pancake, like a pita but you make it in a pan. My kids love it and they cost about 3 nis each, maybe 3.5. With 1 kg of flour (3.99 nis?) I can make about 20 of them. Just add some water, salt, yeast and I think some baking powder, pour into pan and there you have lachuch.
Salatim: I have been making matbucha weekly now that tomatoes are cheap. Just brown garlic in olive oil. I add some red pepper and a hot pepper. When nicely "done" I add about 10-12 cut up tomatoes and cook until it's down to the consistency I want (3 hours?). I add salt and puree it with my stick blender. No work.
Matbucha is something a lot of people buy but it's not as good as home made. It can't be: they don't use superior ingredients plus they add preservative.
Tehina: I buy (sometimes organic) whole-seed tehina and add water, lemon juice (oh, that is something I will never buy "ready made, no matter how much lemons cost) and salt. Blend with stick blender. Lasts through the week.

Seraph makes EVERYTHING from scratch. I guess if she can't make it, they don't eat it. I wish, but I don't have the time or her patience.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:10 am
MandksIma reminded me of Pizza. We make it too. We, meaning one son, who has gotten the task. It's that easy!
We got a soy milk machine but the product didn't taste too good so we stopped.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:23 am
We also cut our own toilet paper for Shabbat LOL

Karnash

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:31 am
Salatim - humus, techina, all kinds of eggplant salads
Pizza
Salad dressing, marinades
Pickles
Wheatena (which we like in the winter and can't get here)

IamI

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 9:31 am
yogurt, bread, dips, chummus, tomato sauce, dressings, bread
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics