Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Winter coat - down or suede??

Which coat keeps you warmer
Down Coat  
 63%  [ 12 ]
Suede Coat  
 21%  [ 4 ]
Other - Please Specify  
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 19

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:37 am
I hope this is the right place to be posting this!! Rolling Eyes

I need a new winter coat. I've never really had one that has kept me warm enough. I live in Brooklyn so need to get a really good one that will last.

Which is better - Down Coat or Suede Coat or other one?

I do not want fur trimmed.

Does anyone have a coat they really recommend??

I don't want it too long, cause then it gets dirty in the snow and puddles, or is there a way to avoid it? I was thinking mid calf.

Really want to get one today, so all replies are really appreciated!!!!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:48 am
Although suede is beautiful, its not really practical for a winter climate where it will get wet. I would go with a down coat that will keep you toasty and warm. I would definately go with 3/4 length, it won't drag in the snow but it will keep you warmer then a waist length coat.

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 11:53 am
thanks I didn't think of suede getting wet!!

if I get a down coat at full length, is it easy to clean of the bottom at home if it get messed up in the snow??

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:00 pm
I prefer down - warm and doesn't ruin as easily.
Definitely check out the selection at Burlington Coat Factory. I always have the best luck there.

JMto2

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:06 pm
The suede coats are heavy and also do not stay nice due to it getting wet. I just bought a 3/4 length warm down coat at Burlington coat factory for $80. Its simple warm and lightweight.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:07 pm
Suede anything is a bad choice, IMO. Unless you're a cow, lol.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:08 pm
queenyemk wrote:
thanks I didn't think of suede getting wet!!

if I get a down coat at full length, is it easy to clean of the bottom at home if it get messed up in the snow??

Most coats are washable, but I would go with 3/4 length anyway.

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:10 pm
that's what I've been looking at.
I just saw alot of short coats and the others have racoon fur which is just icky
they don't have so many on the website
I'm gonna trek thru after work

queenyemk

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:22 pm
there washable even though they say dry-clean only??
how is that possible??

is there a particular brand anyone recommends?
I liked the looks of the JLO ones on the web,
anne klein had racoon

also I need a hood!!!!
I got one without a hood last time - before I was married, totally forgetting about needing to cover the sheitel - bad move to say the least.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:37 pm
I love the 3/4 length washable-down parka's at Land's End! Last year I got one that is synthetic (s/t like thinsulate), and it has also been amazing.

LLBean also has some that look good, but haven't tried them.

chen

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 12:39 pm
see my remarks on the "Old navy Coat" thread re: disadvantages of down. I'd go for a down-look polyester fiberfill coat. It won't be quite as warm as down, but it has none of the disadvantages of down, either. Suede? forget it. not warm, requires special care and special professional leather cleaning which not every dry cleaners can do--you don't own suede; it owns you.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 4:13 pm
I have a Lands End down coat. I would also reccomend LL Bean. Lands End is machine washable.

melalyse

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:13 pm
I just bought a Lands end down coat. It's a great coat.

lagirl

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:36 pm
I'm also happy with my Lands End down parka; it is comfortable and warm and they also have a wonderful return policy - I accidentally tore my coat and called them to see how best to mend it - they told me to send it back for a replacement (and they even paid for the shipping).

ceo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2006, 10:48 pm
I live in a freezing climate (colder than NY). I have a down coat from Lands End that I love, it's like wrapping a long blanket around you. Quality of a lands end coat cannot be beat! Two years ago, I bought a down coat from Burliongton Coat Factory and the stiching began to fray pretty early on. A Lands End coat was not that much more expensive (an extra $25), but the quality is great. No questions asked return policy!

Also, if you buy online through ebates, you can get 3% cash back.

Also, if you really like the look of suede, then LL Bean has some faux shearling coats that look pretty warm. I believe they are washable.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 1:11 am
My first warm winter was when I got my down coat. From Lands' End, cuz I love their no-questions-asked return policy.
Always used to wear a few layers of clothes under my coat just to keep warm. Now, I just throw on my down coat and I'm all set. It' s got a hood, and plenty of pockets.
And when a hotter version comes out, hey, just return this one, get your money back, and get the new one.....

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 10 2006, 2:38 pm
I saw a suede coat on sale today and the salesperson said it was very warm, but not to get it wet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars