Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
What worked/didn't work over yomtov cooking; Sukkos

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 3:36 pm
For us, leaving the food on the blech at 10 Am and coming home at 4 PM for Kiddush meant dried out food!

I didn't have luck with a sauteed pear salad and it got thrown out.....everything else was okay, though, I just made too much fish and meat!

ep

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 9:41 pm
If you are talking about Simchas Torah, I don't know how close you live to your shul. If it's possible to come home during hakafos for a second to put things on, that would work. I live a block away from my shul, and that's what I did. I saw some other people doing it also. If that doesn't work, maybe you can put your food on the top shelf of your oven at a very low temperature. Then when you come home, turn the oven up if need be. It might take some experimenting to get it just right.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:43 pm
I made some stupid onion kugel jelly roll style which was a comle dud.
But the blueberry kugel was such a hit people took pieces home with them!

freidasima

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:03 pm
The schnitzl covered with honey mustard sauce and ground up pretzl were a disaster, no one liked them except Dh but he doesn't count as he would tell me that dried up beans on toast are a delicacy because I touched them with my own hands....oy, what a husband...

I had made them the previous shabbos and no one said anything except dh who told me they were delicious and he loved them (but again, he loves anything I make, even burnt toast, then he tells me that he had a stomach ache and how did I know that burnt toast is the best thing for it etc. etc....yeah he is for real, you should all be so lucky, my friends tell me I should clone him and sell it and we would be rich).

Back to the story. So finally one of the kids tells me that they didn't say anything earlier as they thought it was from the same batch as last week and I was using it up. I told them on RH I make everything fresh and they begged me NEVER to make them again.

Oy.
Had tons of leftovers. Dh told me that he would eat them every night for supper this week.
And he will.
On the other hand the moist honey cake from the recipie here was a true hit.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:06 pm
I had stuffed flounder fillets with apples and it turned out mushy and all had to be thrown away.

I had decided to use 5 Spice Mix instead of cinnamon and ginger and while it was OK in the honeycakes, it was a diaster in the tsimmes !

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 6:05 am
I presume this is for sukkot?
Everyone here serve soup for evenings as it gets chilly, though it often gets spilled on the way to the succah. Something that keeps heat well, like casseroles.
I'll start collecting flat sturdy cardboard cases to schlep food from our house to the shul (we got invited for yomtov, but doing a potluck to the shul succah hol hamoed).

For RH, mushroom brekas and courgette flan were big hits.
Bochrim who came for dinner turned out to be all veggie-phobes. They only ate meat and rice stuffing of stuffed courgettes/peppers, not knowing how labour intensive it is to stuff each individual pieces! Exploding anger
Should have stuck to regular meatballs. Also turkish delights and apple compote with rose water was too much of the same rose flavour (which I love but not everyone).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics