Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Wanna marry me??????/
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:09 pm
kitov wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Here's a quesiton for you ladies: If you were to marry a woman, would you want to carry the babies or would you be relieved to give the job over to your wifey? Smile

One carries, the other breastfeeds.
Inducing lactation is a very difficult thing. and drying up milk isnt easy eithr. voos failt es ois? Very Happy

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:11 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
kitov wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Here's a quesiton for you ladies: If you were to marry a woman, would you want to carry the babies or would you be relieved to give the job over to your wifey? Smile

One carries, the other breastfeeds.
Inducing lactation is a very difficult thing. and drying up milk isnt easy eithr. voos failt es ois? Very Happy

Because in 2011, there is one word of worship, EQUALITY.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:13 pm
But a church is a shikuktz, the purpose of Xtianity is missionary work plain and simple, and that's a lot worse than lesbianism....no lesbians that I know of are into missionarying straights to become lesbians!

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:17 pm
freidasima wrote:
But a church is a shikuktz, the purpose of Xtianity is missionary work plain and simple, and that's a lot worse than lesbianism....no lesbians that I know of are into missionarying straights to become lesbians!

A church for non jews in non jewish neighborhoods was never yiddish business. A missionary center in a chareidi neighborhood generates more opposition than a gay marriage bill. Obviously, if a clause in the bill had to include protection of the clergy (rabbanim and lehavdil priests) of being forced to officiate such weddings, then the issue does affect yidden. And that is why it is our business, and why yidden are so outspoken.

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:24 pm
Is there such a clause?

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:27 pm
freidasima wrote:
Is there such a clause?

From what I heard, this was the only way it passed. Let me double check my sources, I'll get to ya.

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:28 pm
OK, here goes,

"Skelos’ announcement came only hours after lawmakers released an amendment to the bill that provided exemptions for religious groups, making it so they would not be forced to solemnize or officiate at same-relations weddings, after all, the state with the nation’s largest number of religiously observant Jews and the second largest number of Catholics."

freidasima

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:29 pm
But how could that be? That would mean that it would be possible to make a clause that would force an orthodox rov to officiate at a mixed marriage between non jews and yidden if it is allowed by NY state law (which it is....)

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:39 pm
No one was ever going to force clergy to perform a marriage that violated their religion. I really think that was a strawman argument. Otherwise, yeah, the law would force clergy to perform interfaith ceremonies. It would never withstand a court challenge. A religion has the right to decide who can be married within the faith.

The real issue had to do with things like having to rent out church halls. There's also been issues with providing services to same-s*x couples, but this also comes up without legal marriage (e.g. permitting such couples to adopt). Some religious agencies have stopped doing foster/adoption services rather than stop discriminating against gay people.

Also, AIUI, religions are forced to recognize marriages they don't deem legitimate for civil purposes. For example, if a religious group employed someone in an interfaith marriage, and they provide benefits for spouses (health insurance, say) they'd have to treat that spouse the same as the ones married in church/synagogue.

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 4:32 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by mirror on Mon, Jan 04 2016, 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 7:37 pm
freidasima wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm following this thread. Xtianity isn't avoda zara for gentiles, and spreading monotheism isn't a bad thing, especially in the all-you-need-is-love American-style.

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:17 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by mirror on Mon, Jan 04 2016, 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

allrgymama

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 10:37 pm
Wow. I missed a lot.

Admittedly, I did not read all of the comments. I didn't need to.

What people seem to forget is that what Hashem considers to be 'wrong' is the homosexual act, not homosexual people themselves. To say that there exists something in this world (even if it is 'just' a taivah') that Hashem did not put here is apikorses; Hashem controls everything and puts everything. If Hashem did not put that taivah in this world, we would not have a commandment stopping us from doing it. So it follows that Hashem put this taivah in the world as a struggle for some people to live with.

Does it bother you so much when a [gentile] kills someone, something that is also in shevas mitzvas binei Noach? Or steals? Or uses God's name in vain/blasphemy? Or worships more than one God?

Most likely NOT. They are non jews and so you do not concern yourself with them. So why does it make a difference to you if they do this thing, too? Do you think they're going to have more s*x or less safe s*x or, honestly, I can't even imagine what, now that gay marriage HAS been legalized? Even if they do, HOW does this make a difference to your life?

It doesn't. So then the only thing being accomplished in this thread is a mockery of real people who are abstract to you.

So yes. Shame on all of you who made a thread just to make fun of people. (The other threads at least pretend to be discussing it from an intellectual or religious point of view, which is why you may not have seen me outright say 'shame on you' until now.)

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 10:50 pm
allrgymama wrote:

Does it bother you so much when a [gentile] kills someone, something that is also in shevas mitzvas binei Noach? Or steals? Or uses God's name in vain/blasphemy? Or worships more than one God?

I don't condone any of those behaviors. And cheering for same-sx marriage legalization, to me, is equivalent to condoning same-sx relationships.

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 11:09 pm
allrgymama wrote:

Most likely NOT. They are non jews and so you do not concern yourself with them. So why does it make a difference to you if they do this thing, too? Do you think they're going to have more s*x or less safe s*x or, honestly, I can't even imagine what, now that gay marriage HAS been legalized? Even if they do, HOW does this make a difference to your life?

It doesn't. So then the only thing being accomplished in this thread is a mockery of real people who are abstract to you.

So yes. Shame on all of you who made a thread just to make fun of people. (The other threads at least pretend to be discussing it from an intellectual or religious point of view, which is why you may not have seen me outright say 'shame on you' until now.)

Because of this:

kitov wrote:
OK, here goes,

"Skelos’ announcement came only hours after lawmakers released an amendment to the bill that provided exemptions for religious groups, making it so they would not be forced to solemnize or officiate at same-relations weddings, after all, the state with the nation’s largest number of religiously observant Jews and the second largest number of Catholics."

Obviously, if there was a Jewish female rabbi in the pro-gay group of protesters in Albany, then this issue DOES affect us yidden.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 11:30 pm
allrgymama wrote:

I'm not understanding this argument. I would be pretty horrified if they legalized murder and theft, and I would not support blasphemy of G-d.

marina

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 11:33 pm
Are you really implying that there was any sort of danger that religious clerics would be forced to perform marriages they did not agree with? Any law that remotely allowed for that would immediately be struck down as violating the federal constitution, so yeah, I'm sure they changed it pronto so the law wouldn't be slapped down asap.

kitov

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 11:53 pm
marina wrote:
Are you really implying that there was any sort of danger that religious clerics would be forced to perform marriages they did not agree with? Any law that remotely allowed for that would immediately be struck down as violating the federal constitution, so yeah, I'm sure they changed it pronto so the law wouldn't be slapped down asap.

More so, as to avoid discrimination lawsuits against owners of shuls, wedding halls or churches that would refuse to rent their places for a same gender chassunah. In other words, the state of ny will acknowledge your wedding, but no one can be forced to officiate, cater, or set up such a wedding.

Raizle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:05 am
marina wrote:
the ignorance is appalling.

Do you really wonder, havefaith, whether a measure to allow people to marry and cement their monogamous relationship will cause more people to get HIV?

or that they practice celibacy before marriage

Quote:
Do you really think, opinionated, that gay people have higher divorce rates than straights? Is that based on some recent studies out of massachusetts or vermont?

I don't think that's what she meant, I think she meant a wider marriage pool = wider divorce pool

marina

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:48 am
kitov wrote:
marina wrote:

More so, as to avoid discrimination lawsuits against owners of shuls, wedding halls or churches that would refuse to rent their places for a same gender chassunah. In other words, the state of ny will acknowledge your wedding, but no one can be forced to officiate, cater, or set up such a wedding.

Same answer

to all those people who are noting that more people will now be getting divorced, I imagine that was also your response when misegenation statutes were outlawed as well?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics