Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Wanna marry me??????/
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 3:38 am
havefaith wrote:
I wonder if more people will get hiv aids and all that stuff. sorry I don't know the names.
Are you serious? That is a very naive statement if I ever heard one.

allrgymama

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 4:39 am
This entire thread is entirely offensive.

Until you spend your whole lives hearing from the majority world about how you aren't entitled to live with the person you want to in the way that you want to -- ways that do no harm to no one -- none of you have a right here to make fun.

We are all incredibly blessed to not have been challenged by Hashem in this way.

Shame on (almost) all of you.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 4:47 am
gold21 wrote:
ok kitov I will marry you as long as

1: you agree to work full time and your parents agree to pay 1000 dollars a month to support me in kollel
2: you come from yichus
3: you dont use plastic tablecloths on shabbos
4: you dont wear the crossover part of the seatbelt that crosses over your chest chas veshoelaces
5: you dont have red hair (horrors, gasp, it better be auburn or strawberry blonde, not RED Rolling Eyes )
6: you dont go to kimpeturin homes LOL Wink
7: you plan to breastfeed your babies for at least 2 years each
8: no epidural obviously
9: you will do upsherin with our boys
10: you dont smoke weed

LOL

smilingmom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:00 am
As this is "NationalPride Month" and I attend many pride events. (They have the best parties and usually have a "kosher table")
Most gay couples will not be running to get married. Most are thrilled that marriage is now legal, but since they already have a 'domestic partnership' which gives them the benefits and rights of a married couple, (ie insurance, etc) why rush???
BTW to end a domestic partnership, only one side has to file a peice of paper with the city, while divorce is expensive and time-consuming, even int he best of circumstances.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:03 am
For those interested in an going on a cruise where you can swim anywhere anytime and participate in all activities and have great entertainment, an all lesbian cruise is a great idea!

grin

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:23 am
allrgymama wrote:

Until you spend your whole lives hearing from the majority world about how you aren't entitled to live with the person you want to in the way that you want to -- ways that do no harm to no one -- none of you have a right here to make fun.

We are all incredibly blessed to not have been challenged by Hashem in this way.

did you somehow miss out on parashas noach, when we read of how the generation of the flood that caused annihilation of the world for messing up this way? no, we cannot accept that this is "just the way some unfortunate people were created", since it's an abomination [even for non jews] according to the Torah, and HKBH don't put anyone in a situation where they can't avoid sinning

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:34 am
I believe that as a minority group, we can't afford to look down on and make fun of other minority groups. I can't support gay marriage as it goes against Judaism, but neither would I protest it. Let it happen as it happens, I say. More rights for any minority is good news for us.

Inspired

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:37 am
marina wrote:
the ignorance is appalling.

Do you really wonder, havefaith, whether a measure to allow people to marry and cement their monogamous relationship will cause more people to get HIV?

Do you really think, opinionated, that gay people have higher divorce rates than straights? Is that based on some recent studies out of massachusetts or vermont?
Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

grin

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:38 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I believe that as a minority group, we can't afford to look down on and make fun of other minority groups. I can't support gay marriage as it goes against Judaism, but neither would I protest it. Let it happen as it happens, I say. More rights for any minority is good news for us.
even at the expense of HKBH's anger for us allowing this to happen?

Inspired

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:40 am
allrgymama wrote:

Thumbs Up

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:42 am
What on earth do you mean, us 'allowing' it to happen? Since when do we have ANY rights in galus? What about being bound by the laws of your country? They are not forcing US to marry each other. Can you point out to me where in the Torah it says that we should meddle in the affairs of non-Jews, especially while in a country that is giving us peace and rights?

merelyme

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:52 am
As I said in a different thread ("Why are we against gay marriage")

merelyme wrote:
The Gemara says that the reason Rome was allowed to rule for so long was because they did not write marriage documents between two men.

Whenever a person sins, we hope that he will do teshuvah. But if what the person does is legal and considered okay, then we lose hope that he will do teshuvah. After all, what's there to repent of? He feels he's not sinning, just leading an alternate lifestyle.

And yes, the general level of morality in society does affect us.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 8:55 am
allrgymama wrote:

I was not going to post in this thread. But this is a little harsh on people who are simply expressing what they feel is the Torah view. Can you also extend the "shame on you" to all Republicans and Conservatives (about half of secular Americans) who are often against gay marriage?

For the record, I don't really have strong feelings about what other people do, but I'd prefer them not to call it marriage - let them have civil unions.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:02 am
smilingmom wrote:
For those interested in an going on a cruise where you can swim anywhere anytime and participate in all activities and have great entertainment, an all lesbian cruise is a great idea!

there is a swimming lake in London which is only for women. My older sisters used to go there and swim the whole time. I went once, and by then it had been taken over by topless women sunbathing and couples making out. Not really appropriate for a frum teenager. Sad So I never went again.

Besides, the whole point of seperate swimming is so that people can swim without being looked at and judged for the state of their body.

I can't imagine feeling comfortable on such a cruise.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:05 am
Why are people so uptight about the term marriage??
Civil marriage is not the same as halachic marriage.
No-one is implying that they should be recognized as halachically married.
The standards of Halacha will not be diminished or changed by this.
Halacha forbids homo-se*ual acts, regardles if the 'couple' is married or not.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:10 am
smilingmom wrote:
Why are people so uptight about the term marriage??
Civil marriage is not the same as halachic marriage.
No-one is implying that they should be recognized as halachically married.
The standards of Halacha will not be diminished or changed by this.
Halacha forbids homo-se*ual acts, regardles if the 'couple' is married or not.

My feelings have nothing to do with Halacha. It's hard to fully explain, but I just think the term marriage (which means man and woman) starts to cheapen when you "redefine" it. And although it doesn't affect the halacha, it can affect the hashkafa.

smilingmom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:25 am
Simple1 wrote:

My feelings have nothing to do with Halacha. It's hard to fully explain, but I just think the term marriage (which means man and woman) starts to cheapen when you "redefine" it. And although it doesn't affect the halacha, it can affect the hashkafa.

People co-habitating regardless of orientation effect haskafa.
So does people cheating (in business or personal life) effect hashkafa.
So does the latest fashion trents in our 'community' effect hashkafa.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:32 am
smilingmom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:

People co-habitating regardless of orientation effect haskafa.
So does people cheating (in business or personal life) effect hashkafa.
So does the latest fashion trents in our 'community' effect hashkafa.

You are right, but that does not negate what I said before

nylon

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 9:49 am
yummymummy wrote:
marina wrote:
Do you really think, opinionated, that gay people have higher divorce rates than straights? Is that based on some recent studies out of massachusetts or vermont?

I didn't think Opinionated implied that they would have a higher divorce rate, just that even if they have the same divorce rate as straight couples it would generate more work for divorce attorneys.

I was going to mention that she should look at the bright side of things - more work for wedding planners, wedding venues, photographers, caterers, etc. Proponents of the bill have suggested that it generate $400 million for the state. Of course, opponents point out that the newfound bill would allow spouses to receive Social Security benefits, unemployment benefits, disability benefits and inheritance benefits that would strip the state of revenue.

The federal government does not recognize same relations marriages yet. So no Social Security, SSDI, or Medicare benefits for those spouses. Some couples are fighting with the IRS over taxes, but so far the IRS position has been no. You qualify for unemployment on your own record, not your spouse's. You can claim the NYS "married filing jointly" exemption, that's it. Second, gay couples tend to be higher income (more DINKs!) so they're already contributing plenty into the tax pool. Gay couples are not about to bankrupt the government.

Civil unions were a flop. They were a second class status and everyone perceived it that way. Judaism has a specific definition of marriage but it's not one I feel applies to the US government.

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jun 26 2011, 10:16 am
nylon wrote:
yummymummy wrote:
marina wrote:

I didn't think Opinionated implied that they would have a higher divorce rate, just that even if they have the same divorce rate as straight couples it would generate more work for divorce attorneys.

I was going to mention that she should look at the bright side of things - more work for wedding planners, wedding venues, photographers, caterers, etc. Proponents of the bill have suggested that it generate $400 million for the state. Of course, opponents point out that the newfound bill would allow spouses to receive Social Security benefits, unemployment benefits, disability benefits and inheritance benefits that would strip the state of revenue.

The federal government does not recognize same relations marriages yet. So no Social Security, SSDI, or Medicare benefits for those spouses. Some couples are fighting with the IRS over taxes, but so far the IRS position has been no. You qualify for unemployment on your own record, not your spouse's. You can claim the NYS "married filing jointly" exemption, that's it. Second, gay couples tend to be higher income (more DINKs!) so they're already contributing plenty into the tax pool. Gay couples are not about to bankrupt the government.

Civil unions were a flop. They were a second class status and everyone perceived it that way. Judaism has a specific definition of marriage but it's not one I feel applies to the US government.

The above was a quote from Sen. John Bonacic, R-Mount Hope, Orange County. I have seen the social security and medicare arguments mentioned in California as well as other articles discussing the financial impact of legalizing gay marriage in NY so I'm not sure it's so clear cut.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics