Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's the deal w/yogurt?
1  2  Next

Shendellah

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:36 am
Is it just me or is it really hard to find kosher yogurt in a regular supermarket (not cholev yisroel) Does anybody know a kosher brand of yogurt that could be found in most supermarkets? Thank you!

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:50 am
Some yogurts include gelatin in them, so they aren't kosher.

Kosher n the U.S.:
La Yogurt (the pink containers).
Yo Crunch.
Some of the Dannons.
Some of the Breyers.
Some supermarket brands are kosher too.

I never have a hard time finding yogurt that's OU D.

Marion

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:51 am
Where are you located? In Canada Astro yogurt has a COR. Liberte has an MK. I remember Breyers (I think on Pesach?). I haven't been in Canada in two years already...but I remember those clearly.

Shendellah

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:59 am
I'm in the US and thanks for the replies! I don't know why but I always had a hard time finding anything but KD.

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 5:04 am
So many yummy yogurts on the refigerated shelves in Israel...okay, was that not nice? Wink

Shendellah

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:14 am
LOL I"H one day!

Barbara

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:19 am
In NY, Axelrod.

Chobani (delicious, creamy Greek yogurt)

cm

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:47 am
Interesting observation: the house brand yogurt at our new Target grocery department is OU-D, but has gelatin in it.

All of our supermarkets have both OU and K yogurt, sometimes both within one brand. Dannon, Stonyfield Farm, supermarket house brands, La Yogurt - many are OU-D. But you do need to read labels.

The fruit-on-the-bottom and no-fruit (plain/vanilla/coffee) flavors are more likely to be labeled with the OU-D. Blended and "lite" yogurts are more likely to have gelatin and a K.

nylon

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:54 am
Marion wrote:
Where are you located? In Canada Astro yogurt has a COR. Liberte has an MK. I remember Breyers (I think on Pesach?). I haven't been in Canada in two years already...but I remember those clearly.

Check the carton for Liberte because I know some of the flavors contain an additive that the MK won't approve. Strawberry is fine (I know this because I love the Liberte strawberry!), I know lemon and coconut are not. We don't get all the flavors here, nor the plain Mediterranee (only the 2.5% comes in plain).

Plain yogurt is usually fine (I believe Fage Total is NOT certified, a shame because I like full fat Greek), the issue is the flavored yogurts which are set with gelatin. Most of the commercial brands use it because it gives the yogurt a nice consistency without added fat. 0% yogurts are the worst (aside from Greek which is naturally thicker).

The organic and health food brands are often a good bet--they skip the gelatin so they're safe for vegetarians.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 10:52 am
Isramom8 wrote:
So many yummy yogurts on the refigerated shelves in Israel...okay, was that not nice? Wink

Anything in the US even remotely like the yummy fresh stuff we get in Israel?

B"H I am travelling to the US soon and am dreading yogurt withdrawl... Crying

Maybe I'll try Barbara's suggestion (Greek yogurt).

cm

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 11:32 am
DrMom wrote:

I haven't had fresh Israeli yogurt, but fresh homemade American yogurt is pretty tasty! But, it may not be so easy to get if you are traveling. If your hosts (if you're not staying at a hotel) are the crunchy homesteading type, you may be in luck.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 11:41 am
We hardly ever buy yoghurt from the Jewish shop.
We buy Mamie Nova, Danette, Activia (machlokes)... ask a shaila!

shnitzel

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 12:38 pm
I think all the sugar free ones have k and all the ones that are plain or have sugar have an OU. So if you are trying to find an artificially sweetened fat free yogurt you need to eat cholov yisroel brands.

mommyhood

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 1:35 pm
shnitzel wrote:
I think all the sugar free ones have k and all the ones that are plain or have sugar have an OU. So if you are trying to find an artificially sweetened fat free yogurt you need to eat cholov yisroel brands.

My personal favorite, axelrod yogurts are fat free and artificially sweetened and they're OU-D. I buy them at shoprite, I think they sell them at other stores but I don't know which ones. I buy La Yogurt for my kids.

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 4:37 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Funny! in France we get the Macabi and the one with fruit on the bottom (cholov yisroel) forgot the name - its such a treat (quite expensive in the US but since the family buys it there anyway we can indulge!)

spring13

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 5:07 pm
If you have access to Wegmans, most of their store brand yogurts are kosher, including the blended and lite flavors, and they're also delicious and inexpensive.

also, if there's a natural foods section in your supermarket, they might have Brown Cow and sometimes even the Stonyfield Farms yogurts.

beckster

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:38 pm
Check the big cartons. Dannons big ones are kosher and I think I've found them in every store I've been to. Also as someone mentioned the organic Stoney Field is kosher as well, they come in big cartons and little ones as well as the connected ones like yobaby.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Funny! in France we get the Macabi and the one with fruit on the bottom (cholov yisroel) forgot the name - its such a treat (quite expensive in the US but since the family buys it there anyway we can indulge!)

I really dislike the Macabi compared to regular ones.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:29 am
Publix brand is OU-D

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 8:35 am
DrMom wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

B"H I am travelling to the US soon and am dreading yogurt withdrawl... Crying

Maybe I'll try Barbara's suggestion (Greek yogurt).
Don't kid yourself. It's all commercialized here in Israel, no diff than the US. Just no HFCS used as a sweetener.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen