Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Dear Teacher

cuties' mom

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 8:45 pm
Dear Teacher,
You don't know me, and I don't know you. Tomorrow we will meet for the first time. I will introduce you to my child and show you how to adminster an epipen. I will go through all the snacks and tell you which ones are safe and which ones aren't. And then you probably think I will leave. But I won't be leaving too fast.
You may have read my son's paperwork. If you did, you might think you know my son. After all, you read a report written by a dr who saw my son after making him wait an hour in a waiting room without toys. You read an IFSP written by someone who never met my child and has two goals that he already met and three that he will not be meeting in the near future. And you read reports by therapists who only focused on what ds can't do, not what he can.
You may not have read my son's paperwork. You might be approaching with an open mind about what child will be joining your class tomorrow. Either way, I will do my best to make sure you get to know my son.
I have been blessed with a very intelligent friendly child. At two and a half, he can identify all letters of the ABCs along with their sounds and words that start with each letter. He knows his shapes and the alef bais. He memorized a dozen books and enjoys reading. He is eager to learn everything about the world around him and as a result sometimes does things that appear a little bit strange.
Every object is made up of shapes. Sometimes in order to see the shapes, its necessary to look at things at a different angle. Shapes are made of lines and a result, all lines are interesting. All lines need to be walked on from one end to the other in order to see if its part of a bigger shape.
Tomorrow you will be meeting my child for the first time, and I will be meeting you for the first time. Even though I don't know you, I am expected to leave my son with you for two hours a day so he can benefit from the ABA in your classroom. You have a list of goals to work on as well as some behaviors to eleminate.
You know what you're supposed to do with my son. I know what needs to be done. I just have one small request. While you do what you have to, please do not squelch my son's desire to learn about his world. If you step into his world briefly, you will see that there is a lot going on there. Please keep it that way. Let his love for learning last him through his school career and his wonderful personality last him for life.
Thank you, and I hope you enjoy my little treasure as much as I do.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 8:55 pm
Good luck at school tomorrow! I think you adequately expressed the feelings every parent of a special needs child feels as their child is about to begin ABA. Very well put.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club