Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Baltimore- need OT for sensory processing disorder

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 2:00 pm
I need an OT for my son with sensory issues. I know there are a bunch of frum OTs who work in the baltimore community and even in some of the schools. However, none of the ones I called are trained in sensory processing disorder, and it didn't seem like it would be such a good fit. I am going to have to pay quite a bit out of pocket for this, so I really, really want to make sure I get my money's worth...just because someone is frum and an OT doesn't mean they'll be good for my son, ykwim?
Mt. Washington pediatric hospital is not an option- the two ped. OTs who deal with sensory issues are booked with waiting lists. Does anyone in baltimore have any suggestions of someone who might be able to help?

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 4:06 pm
Hello,
I'm an OT and what you may want to do is find a therapist who is SIPT certified. The following link has a list of OTs who are SIPT certified in Maryland and will be the best fit in specializing in SPD.

Good luck!
http://portal.wpspublish.com/p.....d2=22

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 10:10 am
Hi, thanks for that link. I had actually seen it before, but I am hesitant to just pick a therapist off a website. I would prefer to go to someone that I was referred to, kwim? If you have any further suggestions, please let me know.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 10:22 am
My daughter goes to Sora Wolf for sensory and fine motor problems. Sora diagnosed her with gravitational instability which is a form of spd and has done wonders with her. She went from being scared of baths, swings, and slides, to loving them in under a year. I can't say for sure that the same progress could be expected for everything, but Sora really did a great job working with it.

yaakovsmom

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 11:31 am
Maybe you could show the online list of names to your pediatrician; he may have other patients who have gone to some of them and shared their experiences with him.

Tova

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:30 pm
Have you checked out The Therapy Spot? New center run by the Schnitzers. They advertise a state of the art sensory gym, but I don't have any personal experience.

amother

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 8:53 am
Tova wrote:
Have you checked out The Therapy Spot? New center run by the Schnitzers. They advertise a state of the art sensory gym, but I don't have any personal experience.

Yeah, I looked into it,but I am really looking for someone that can be recommended with personal experience. Like I said, I don't need a nice frum lady for OT.....I need someone that's competent for what I need, especially since my insurance limits the sessions my kid will have.

I will look into Sora Wolf, thanks for the info. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post.

Babka

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:23 pm
Shoshana Shamberg

http://irlenvlcmd.com/contact.html

amother

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 11:30 pm
I also recommend Shoshana Shamberg.

pen1276

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 9:58 pm
Sora Wolf is the first name that comes to my mind.

sandyhp1

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:04 pm
My grandson was diagnosed at Kennedy Kreiger with sensory integration problems. He has gone to KKI for therapy and is currently going to The Therapy Spot and my daughter is very pleased with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)