Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleeping through the night?!/No Cry Sleep Solution/ Ferber
1  2  3  Next

Yc18

Post Fri, Apr 30 2004, 10:14 am
at what age do you think its appropriate to put your child on a schedule?
my son is almost 6 months, and NOT sleeping through the night. not even a 4 hr stretch. he nurses more frequently at night than during the day!
I long for a good nights sleep more than anything.
do you think putting him on a regular nap and bedtime schedule will help?

Rochel Leah

Post Fri, Apr 30 2004, 5:23 pm
It is a mothers wish to have her baby sleep through the night. Each baby is different.At 6 months my baby wasn't a good sleeper, he still isnt. there are many techniques to help, I tried the schedule of naps, the ferber method- letting him cry. but it didnt help.I also felt that when he woke up he was hungry, which was true, he isnt a big eater, so I knew he needed more at night as well. I read in todays parent about the myths of sleeping through, I will send it to you, I wont be able to recap it well, though one thing I remember- 95% of babys wake up during the night, but some parents don't even know that cuz the babies put themselves back to sleep.

Last edited by Rochel Leah on Fri, Apr 30 2004, 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yc18

Post Fri, Apr 30 2004, 6:20 pm
my first child at first did sleep through the night for like 3 months, from age 2-5 months.then started waking up cuz he was hungry.
but #2, wakes up not cuz he's hungry, I think, he just gets so mad that needs to nurse to go back to sleep. he wakes up every 2 hrs! and by day goes 3-4 hrs without nursing. usually at 5 am he wakes up and talks and babbles and bonds with his father a little, then goes back to sleep after about an hour.
I guess every kid is different. like they always say...

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jun 08 2004, 9:25 pm
How is the sleeping with DOvi going? is he getting better? If so what did you do?

My baby started slepping through and then one day decide to quit and now wakes up once or twice any tips?

I can't stand to hear him cry, so the cry it out wont work for me

Yc18

Post Wed, Jun 09 2004, 4:32 pm
well not much has changed. sometimes he sleeps well most times he doesnt. last night happened to be the worst night of sleep I've ever had. I went to sleep early cuz I'm not feeling well, I've got the flu + cold +allergies, whatever. anyway its agood thing b/c I got 2 hrs of sleep from 9:30 to 11:30 then dovi cried nonstop till 2 am, then when he finally went to sleep, I couldnt sleep! so from 3 to 6 I slept then up again to nurse dovi then every half hour he would wake me up.
it was a very long night.........
I just took a nap so I feel better now.
I noticed that when I would feed him cereal before he went to sleep and nurse him too alot, he would sleep better. the first night I fed him cereal he slept through the night!!!! Smile
but unfortunately the best he did since then is a 2am feeding then 7 am up for the day. which I'm not complaining of, thats pretty good.
anyway I'd better stop rambling on......
good luck with your son, maybe if you put a sippy cup of water in his bed then if he's simply thirsty when he wakes up he can take care of himself.
thats what I do with levi.

Yc18

Post Wed, Jun 09 2004, 4:41 pm
I didnt let my son cry it out until about 10-11 mos. it didnt work for me even then. the only thing I do is when he doesnt want to sleep, but he's exhausted I let him cry for 5 min, and usually he realizes that I'm not coming back to get him so he goes to sleep. in the middle of the night I always wait a few min. b4 going in to check on him b/c a lot of times he goes back to sleep on his own.

Chanie

Post Thu, Jun 10 2004, 8:20 pm
Each child is definitly different. I nursed my son to sleep every nap etc. when he was a few months old, but when I moved him to a crib, the lowering him down into it would wake him up. I would sometimes spend 20- 30 minutes rocking him in my arms, while standing (he would cry if I sat down) until he'd fall back asleep. And he'd sometimes wake up a few times a night. I was getting really bad backaches, after all my big eater was gaining healthy weight. I had no choice but to allow him to cry out.
I started out doing it by his daytime naps (the crying sounds a lot louder at night, due to the quiet of the street) I would take a book and sit right outside my apartment door, with the door closed, far enough not to hear the cries, but close enough. I killed 2 birds with one stone, I didn't need to rock him anymore, and he learned to fall asleep on his own. I did this at probably 6 months old.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 12:16 pm
during the day you should feed your dc when it is time for him to eat. That is what I do now and it helps. So when the night comes he will sleep longer. Try it and see what happens. I hope it makes a difference

Yc18

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 2:51 pm
I dont understand, "feed him when its time to eat"? of course I feed him. do you mean solids?

Yc18

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 2:58 pm
my son eats every 4 hrs usually.

Last edited by Yc18 on Thu, Jun 17 2004, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudmom

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 3:04 pm
I am trying to say. if he misses a feeding because he is sleeping for example, wake him up and feed him

Yc18

Post Thu, Jun 17 2004, 3:12 pm
I have a policy never to wake up a sleeping baby. I always regret it if I do wake him. and he'd probably just fall right back to sleep without eating anything.

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Jun 28 2004, 8:47 am
Guys, I must tell you, even if you think that you cant hear your baby cry to sleep, it is worth it to try. I strated letting my baby cry, and he now takes maybe two minutes to go to sleep. He will cry when I bring him to his crib, because he knows that he has to go to sleep. I dont want him to but he doesnt take any comforters, he wouldnt take a pacifier , or blanket or special stuffed animal. so right now when I do put him in his crib to sleep I leave a stufffed torah with him , hoping that , his going to sleep will be more positive. any one have any other ideas as to what I could do make his experience less "traumatic"? ( besides for a hug and kiss before he lays down)

Yc18

Post Mon, Jun 28 2004, 3:24 pm
I let dovi cry it out by accident. it was a friday evening, right before shabbos and I was rushing around getting ready and I knew dovi was tired so I put him in bed and hoped he'd go to sleep. he cried for 20 min before I was ready to go to him but since I had started him crying it out I figured maybe it'll work if I dont pick him up. 5 min later, after I rubbed his cheek, he stopped crying and fell asleep. the next night I tried it again b/c I figured if I started with this method I gotta give it a try. so I let him cry it out and he cried for less than the first night though I dont remember how long. the next night it was just 5 min and now it its maybe a minute. but I rub his cheek and he quiets down. he understands already. the only thing is though, with this method you've got to be 100% sure that the kid is tired before you let him cry. for naps I'm not always sure if dovi is tired, sometimes I put him to bed and he cries for more than a min, and I realize that he's just hungry. so I take him out right away and feel really bad for letting him cry.
rochel leah, its not so traumatic for the kid to cry, its more traumatic for the mother. once your child is over 10-12 months old he wont feel insecure if you dont go to him right away. its more disappointment or upsetness. like as if you wont give him a candy. its with newborns really that you must go to right away so they feel secure. I'm not sure till what age you should run to them, maybe 6 mo. I dont know about ages 6-9 mo.
cuz they're too young to understand emotions like anger or disappointment.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Jun 30 2004, 2:35 am
My son was not that bad but he would wake up a few times a night and the only way to get him back to bed was by nursing him for a coupel minutes. Finally when he was around 13 months and I stopped nursing he finally started sleeping 11-12 hours straight. Now at 16 months when he wakes up I just let him cry. B"h he learned to rock himself to sleep.

There is a really good book "Solve your child's sleep problems" written by Farber (I think). I read it the hard thing is putting it actually carrying it through.

I put him on a Nap schedule when he was around 8 months old and it really made a difference. He didn't cry as much when he went to bed and it helped me be able to schedule my day.

imanut

Post Sat, Sep 11 2004, 10:24 pm
my daughter is four and a half months old and only naps if I sleep in the bed with her. if I put her in her own bed once she is asleep she'll wake up within minutes and not fall back to sleep. I'm afraid of creating a bad habit but I feel terrible when I let her cry and it doesn't help anyway. what should I do?

RachelSteph

Post Sun, Sep 12 2004, 12:26 am
I had the same problem with my first son, I began putting him down in his bed but he cryies too sometimes I let him but then there are other times that he is just too tiered. maybe if you sing to her, or read her a book, or play with her right befor her nap time so she gets all tiered out. But it all depends on your child every child is different, and I only have two so I'm not sure if my my ideas are best ones todo they just work for me... Gut Voch and good luck!

deedee

Post Mon, Sep 13 2004, 1:19 am
my baby was like that also but now she is 7mts and seems to be outgrowing it. this morning nap she fell asleep all by herself I was shocked!

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Sep 28 2004, 7:47 pm
b'h , bli aiyen hara , my baby has given us good nights sleepthese past couple of months. ( it took a whike for the crying to sleep to work- now I put him in his crib, he gets upset at first and then a couple seconds later he starts talking to himself and then he is out in five minute) But just the past few nights, he has been waking up , punk at midnight, he takes his water bottle and drinks alot- so he must be thirsty, but I'd rather he avoid it cuz he has "managed" before- and when I put him back down it takes him a while to go back to sleep....any tips? my husband has so little sleep ( and wakes up to every peep) and would rather me go to him then let him cry back to sleep...

miriam

Post Sun, Oct 03 2004, 12:53 am
A suggestion RL, give him a lot to drink before bed. My daughter always asks for a drink before bed. I never know if she's procrastinating going to sleep or is really thirtsy. I think it has begun to be part of the laila tov routine Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics