Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
SHABOS AFTERNOON ,PLAYING IN BACKYARD,WAKING UP EVERYONE
1  2  3  Next

FINKEL

Post Sat, Sep 09 2006, 11:08 pm
I live on the third floor
every shabos afternoon from pessach till succos ( weather permitting ) I can not fall asleep and neither can my 3 kids, from the noise of 2 or sometimes 3 families playing outside in the backyard ,making such loud noise, that even with air condition on, ear plugs in ear still wakes me up
one of the families has about 3 kids of their own, but always have guest, ( sometimes even a dog ) the guests are adults and kids, the most noise are coming from the adults sometimes
I have asked them nicely to please not come out from say 2 to 4
but they laugh in my face and say, I will not tell them when they can use their OWN backyard...
sometimes they say, ok we will be more quiet, but after couple of minutes the noise level is back up again
one of the neighbors is an eldery woman but her grandchildren come alot to visit and thats right under my window, I feel very uncomfortable confronting her.
alot of neighbors are complaining, but nobody has the guts to say anything.
one family did tell me she will keep her kids inside for two hours
but since the other family still keeps coming out , its still too noisy
I work 6 days a week and I really can use the rest
any ideas?
by the way I live in the centre of boro park

Sparkle

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 12:09 am
Wow, that's tough. I don't really have any solution - but I do remember having the same problem when I lived in Israel!

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 12:14 am
Quote:
noise of 2 or sometimes 3 families playing outside in the backyard ,making such loud noise, that even with air condition on, ear plugs in ear still wakes me up

Hmmm it is the afternoon as opposed to bedtime, a) eighter invest in room insulators that block out noise ( sure they must exist ) Tongue Out
b) Move to an adult only complex Twisted Evil
c) Don't contemplate sleep then What

guesswho

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 12:58 am
Turn on your air conditioner, or a noice maker machine.

FINKEL

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:03 am
isnt shabos afternoon an acceptable time to be quiet as most jewish people sleep on shabos afternoon??????????????

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:10 am
Quote:
isnt shabos afternoon an acceptable time to be quiet as most jewish people sleep on shabos afternoon?

Yes but it is also an acceptable time for children to play so now what? 8)

el2cg

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 1:18 am
I have the same problem too! My air conditioner is noisy so it drowns the sounds from outside.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 8:57 am
noise is noise, whether or not it's yiddishe. we foundthat out the hard way!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 9:30 am
not every one can get their children to nap shabbos afternoon so if the noise bothers u invest in a nopisemaker, move to an adult only environment, move to suberbia where houses r further apart or adjust ur sleeping to maybe sleep in later shabbos mornings.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:16 pm
Unfortunately you can't expect kids not to play outside on nice Shabbos afternoons. I wouldn't want someone telling me that.

slimnglam

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 4:34 pm
I grew up in bp too, we had a rule and NOBODY was able to play in the backyard until 5pm. I go back to my parents for shabbos and the rule is still enforced!!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:09 pm
Quote:
and NOBODY was able to play in the backyard until 5pm.

R u serious shock
How I wish people would enforce that rule that no kids run around and wreak havok in shul during davening Scratching Head uh we have our prioritys slightly mixed up I think Exclamation

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:21 pm
So how does that rule work? The weather is sunny it is boiling outside the kids are walking the walls because they are bored out of their minds. They are running around the house screaming at the top of their heads waking up the neighbours with their screaming because all they want to do is be running around outside.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 7:22 pm
LOL Funny story; when I was achild we used to make a racket and my mother used to defend us. "They're children" We had 2 childless ladies as neighbors who used to scream out the windows at us. Now my parents are the crotchety old ppl. they are always mad at the kids in their building for being too noisy / messy/ leaving strollers / bikes on the landing!! LOL

Tovah

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 7:26 pm
children will be children but u can ask them nicely instead of screaming all afternoon to talk. when we were kids my parents would remind us to keep our voice down.

children and adults have to compramise

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 12:35 pm
OP, the only way you can have your sleep on shabbos is if you "rent" the backyard from your neighbors just for that day of the week.
otherwise, you'll have to move or forget about sleeping then.

I dont see how you can expect all those people to be quiet. lots of people dont have the luxury of sleeping on shabbos afternoon- should they all be contained in their houses so that those who do have the luxury can sleep?

timeout

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 12:44 pm
I have elderly landlords (I live in BP) and I would never let my kids play outside if I new they were sleeping. We generally go to the playground or just take a walk.

We also keep special toys just for Shabbos so they really want to play with them.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 12:50 pm
(timeout, what kind of toys do you have just for shabbos? I wanted to do that too but never got around to it, and almost everything I have is muktzah.)

timeout

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 1:16 pm
We got a great plastic blowling set that my kids love, some board games (zingo, torah land) a train set my mother bought for my sons B-day it has animals that come with it great for imagination, theirs always reading books if your kids are old enough Smile

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 11 2006, 1:21 pm
TY for the ideas Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette